Spouse visa

Hi,

I know this is a mine field and confusing but can anybody tell me if you have to maintain a KITAS if you have an ITAP?

My situation is Ive lived in Indonesia for over 5 years, married to an Indonesian but work offshore. I have always used visa on arrival. Its worked for me as Im 1 month on 1 month off for work.

Was thinking to start application for an ITAP but Immigration said I would need a KITAS and have to renwew it each year even if I have/get an ITAP. Im dealing with Makassar Immigration so they can tend be behind the times.
I dont want to work in Indonesia so cost and hassel of maintaining a KITAS seems to make the ITAP pointless for my situation.

Regards
Ken

Hold on, sorry to say, but nothing you wrote makes any sense.  A KITAS (ITAS) is a temporary resident visa whereas a KITAP (ITAP) is a permanent resident visa. 

A KITAP visa is a higher lever visa than a KITAS, and it would be entirely redundant (not to mention impossible) to have both at the same time.

What you were told by immigration is 100% correct in that you must first have a KITAS visa before applying for a KITAP visa.  I believe that the current regulations are that you must be on a KITAS for at least two years (it used to be five years) before upgrading to a KITAP visa.

Hi Ubudian,

Sorry Im a bit confused as on the expat.or.id site they mention ITAP 5 year visa, I imagine they mean KITAP

If KITAP and ITAP are same thing and as you say resident visa.  This would this would mean after 2 years on KITAS I could apply for KITAP and then no need for KITAS if non working resident.

This would make it worth doing.

Regards
Ken

Yes Ken, KITAP/ITAP are one in the same as are KITAS/ITAS. 

The “K” in both simply mean “kartu” (or card but it's actually a booklet) and thus often dropped when discussing these resident visas.  In other words, the letter K is redundant.

Without doubt, and either having an Indonesian wife or not, your best long term arrangement for permanent residency in Indonesia is the KITAP/ITAP visa.

Thanks for the info, that make sence, Will start the KITAS when I get home and then see it through to KITAP in a few years.
Has been good for me with the visa on arrival as no hassel but time to sort myself out.

Was intersted in your comments on land ownership in Indo and quite correct. My wife owns the lot and I told her if she kicks me out I will just put down losing my house to rent on her body. Be well worth it, weve been married 10 years so there might be hope for me yet :)

All the best,
Ken