Pet insurance?

Hi there from Ireland!

I'm moving to Goias later this month (yay!) and bringing my dog with me. I'll also be bringing a Rhodesian Ridgeback pup out later in the year and I'm just wondering if there is such a thing as pet insurance in Brazil? I can't find anything online? I'm used to having it for my dogs so I'm a little nervous about not having it.

Thanks in advance!

Hi shumbles,

I presume you mean insurance to cover any verteriary medical expenses for your pets. I'm not sure there is so the next time I'm near a pet shop or vet's office I will ask for you and get back to you. In the meantime if any of you pet owners out there have something to add your input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Hello again,

A quick check of good old GOOGLE, which I should have done first turned up a lot.

Google - plano de saúde veterinário and you'll get all kinds of hits. So yep there are plans here too, which surprises the jiggers out of me since unfortunately most dogs and cats here in Brazil are "throw-aways". This is a situation that's going to tear your heart out once you arrive here, so be prepared.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Oh thank you so much, sorry to have wasted your time! Yes, pet insurance to cover unexpected medical bills and that kind of thing. Well, here in Ireland we're not exactly fantastic about pets either but I prepare to be heartbroken on a daily basis!

I can certainly help out any Irish folk looking to move dogs to Brazil and I'll keep an eye on the threads here.

Thanks again!