Indonesian maid working without get paid

Dear all member,my name is nurhayati.I'm indonesian. Sorry to bother all the member with my problem.but I do need some help. I've been working for american family for one and half month now,and few days ago I tell my mdm that I want to quit from the job,she told me I should give her time to look for another maid I aggree to wait until she get a new maid.but on few days after I tell her that she said I was immature and kind of stupid leave such a good job in her house.and say few thing that really hurt my feeling.so I decided to leave the job right away.I work till 16 of april,but I only get paid till 1st of april.today I ask my salary{only half month actually}and mdm told me what thing that made should be paid.I told her I cook everyday for her{I'm a cook}and I do help cleaning house as well that's why I should get paid.I know that maid salary is meant nothing to expat,but for us is really important.members,so do I've done wrong things here?and what should I do then. .

Cut your losses, pack your bags and leave...now.
There is no point working if you won't get paid.

Fred, I disagree (as unusual as that is).

All too often I am appalled by the way some expats treat their pembantu or other domestic help…drivers, gardeners, etc. 

Assuming 88fitriao's story is truthful and honest (and I see no reason to doubt her) I would act differently and politely inform my expat employer to either pay up, or be reported to Polda.  Since the expat employer asked her to stay on while they seek a replacement, they are fully obligated to pay her.

Since the expat is American, she might also threaten to report them to the American embassy in Jakarta for cheating her out of wages. 

I know things in Jakarta are a great deal different than here in Bali.  If that happened in many villages here, the expat could expect a “visit” from a group of local village pecalang to “encourage” the expat to pay up or else…

Thank you for your opinion,actually yesterday when I ask my salary she send me out from the house and unfortunately it was heavy raining.she said leave my house and don't ever come.even the security don't know what to do.in the other side he was sorry he can't help me but the other side he was affraid of losing job too.everybody that work there seem helpless with this expat.I've been working with expat before but none is thinking and doing thing like this madam did.I don't know what todo since in indonesia rich people always get a way to win.I've been thinking to just let the problem go but this lady is seem has no good solution with me and I knew if I push my luck she will just spread the rumors to othe expat that I am not capable in any job{ the way she did with previous ex maid}.and here I am indonesian in my own country feel like I just helpless.

If you want to let the problem just go, and walk away, that's your decision but in all likelihood this expat employer will continue to mistreat his/her help…so you aren't doing any of your fellow Indonesians any favors by just walking away.

I fully understand how many Indonesians are reluctant to go to the police for help, but in my long experiences here (with a Balinese wife) we have always found them to be more than able and willing to help out. 

You have a very legitimate complaint…being cheated of your wages, so either step up and take some action, or not…it's your choice. 

I love most Indonesians to death, but they all seem to have one “fatal” flaw…that being often way too polite for their own good.  I'd never like to see that polite aspect of the Indonesian people change, but on the other hand, each Indonesian has to determine for themselves when politeness and being screwed are not the same.

That's what I've been thinking mr ubudian.if I just walk away she is not going to change how to treat other indonesian fellow.that's why in this forum I ask what to do.so that I have right choice to do.before you tell me that I can go to polda or embassy to short things out I have no idea what to do with expat.I don't know there's law can help.but now after you tell me all those thing,I figure it out I have my right to ask her.thank you so much for the solution.you do me a great help.thank you

Ubudian wrote:

Fred, I disagree (as unusual as that is).

All too often I am appalled by the way some expats treat their pembantu or other domestic help…drivers, gardeners, etc.

I may have to call you a few naughty names, pop down to Bali and spank your arse.

However, it does seems as if the employer is a bit of an evil cow and, as you rightly mention, some people treat humans with less manners than they would a dog.
I have decided to suggest the following:
It's unlikely to do a lot of good for the OP but it may well light a fire under the American lady's arse.
Pop to Polres and complain they owe two week's salary.
You may just be lucky but a visit from the cops may just make them understand, maids are people as well.

Dear Mbak,

Try to call/contact this organization, a network of domestic workers organisations in Indonesia. They will help you to suport your case,

Jala PRT
Jl. Kalibata Utara I/18 Jakarta Selatan, Indonesia
Telepon: +62-21-7971629
HP: +62-811282297

Hope it's help

"I may have to call you a few naughty names, pop down to Bali and spank your arse."

Yeah, I look forward to buying you a beer one day! :D

I agree with Roy, go to the Polda and file a report. You cant let people like them walk away just like that. It actually pisses me off just to hear your story and I feel for you. You need to stand up for yourself,  if you are not sure about what to do and how to do, please lt me know if I can be any help.

Annie

Hey Annie...Happy Birthday, and sorry that I'm a bit late with the birthday well wishes for you!

Thank you so much for all of you,today I ask in a very polite way to her.is she going to pay me or not,she just said "let me consider why I should pay you and if I aggre I will pay you the end of the month". So should I just wait till the end of the month then.and one more thing,her prefious driver get fire when he is asking overtime money.and this madam told her husband about it and he just went outside throw the money on him and fire him.if that thing happen to me should I take the money?because if she is giving me the salary I think she will do the same thing.

I would follow the advice of those in the know here. These people need a wake up call.

Ubudian wrote:

Hey Annie...Happy Birthday, and sorry that I'm a bit late with the birthday well wishes for you!

Thanks much Roy! :-)
Its ashame that I cant fly down to Bali this time around. But I promise next time I'm in town, I will! Btw, I still have an email to write to you. Getting my lappy sometime next week then I'll write you!

As for 88fitriao, I'm so sorry to hear that you're put in such position.
I can only imagine how confuse you are right now.  I cant believe that there are actually people like them in real life, not just sinetrons and movies. Its too... mean.

Would you tell us a little more why you didnt like working for her? What happened in tnose 1,5 months when you were there?

For first time I have interview with her she was sooo good.I've find my self telling everyone she is very good.she is very clean person,even before I come for work{I work frm 9 to 5}she left the kitchen clean and bed made.so I just left with grocery shoping and cook. clean the floor and the wipes table{I do with another maid who's cleaning lady and house boy}.just for let you know,she have 3 separate house which every house is two floor and one with basement and rooftoop.isn't big deal with cleaning job because there's a house boy too to help out clean the pool and outside house area.the house its just huge.the first day she even give me small coupboard 1X1 mtr and metal clothes hanger(which is I give her back on april 16 night because she told me how much bucks she give me in the price on those thing).things become bit complicated when she left the house one week before easter.so the house is 4 day without her and the kids,it just mr only.she left me to take care the fish aquarium and a dog too feed.two snakes to look after and cook easter stuff.so I tell mbk cleaning lady to just keep remind each other if I missed the feeding animal job.so here the problem begin,I spent two day google ing easter recipe and cook them.so sometimes feeding fish another mbk do it for me.and when she came she found out and very angry with me.she said all words that can be heard by human ears(which is she always do when she is angry even with te AC guy).so from that day she always have something to make me have a mistake.from missplaced her brush in her husband side of dressing table,make the bed few inches different from the line that she always dwo and so much more.until prayer every morning to work without she get angry is my routine.I feel stress when work day come.even another maid feel the same way it just she really need the job to support the family and she can't really speak english so she affraid would be very hard to find another job with good salary.and for let you know in my job as a cook I never fail to make kids love the food that I cook for the past one and a half month.even mdm told me so.and what make me decided to leave right away is,one afternoon the gardener took some corn and bean from the garden(which some of the part already eaten by mouse)the gardener cooked it because he think still can be eaten and waste if he throw away.he think mdm also won't be mind.because already be eaten by mouse.but when she find out she come to me,I shouldn't have ask gardener to pick vegie.I saidti didnt do,but she didnt trust me.I ask her to ask gardener if she don't believe me.and she said she will but how come I'm not know if I am eat(everyone eat the cook corn even the guard).I tell her yes I eat but I don't ask gardener to pick and cook it and when he is cooking I was upstair.she still angry,she said she give me enough salary to buy food for my self I shouldn't be eating her food from her garden and the gardener that she paid.and all those inhuman word out from her mouth again.so I just cant take it.and decided to leave

Its so sad to read a posting like this and how such an expat family could treat their maid like this (assuming this case is true - looking at this posts, i believe it is). Two weeks wages may not seem much to the expat, but to the maid, this means alot as they are not highly paid and the two weeks wages helps them to keep afloat for a while.

Its really good to see how many people on this forum have offered their help and encouraging the domestic helper, advise on what to do.

88fitriao - i hope your issue will be resolved quickly and reasonably. I don't know how it works in Indonesia, but in UK and other countries I've been in, i know families who take on domestic helpers always seek references from previous employers. So last thing you want is your previous employer giving you a bad reference which could spoil you chances of  working with another family. On the other hand, you could explain to your new employers you done what you felt was right as you genuinely worked for two weeks and all you wanted was fair play, to be owed the two weeks wages.

I dont think anyone should be subjected to this kind of behavior, attitude and abuse just because they employ someone to work for them as a domestic helper.

So best of luck and hope all works out well for you in the end. Please do post your outcome so that you could help others who are or encounter your situation. Generally it may help others in the future.

Good luck

For my case,I've been very lucky. I already have a referenced letter from my other previous employer{who is canadian) and it was a very good reference so I still have a good chance to look for another job.I just affraid she spread a words that I'm no good to other expat because of this case(which is she always done to her ex employees that out from her house).I'll post the result from my case and what happen next.I thank you all for the help.hoping that everything going right

I know, its tough. But I think you are a very brave one, I admire that. Just do what you think is right and put your logic in it. Its all part of life experience.
As for her, she can tell people shit but the truth will always show. She probably has a miserable life.
Please let me know if I can be any help!

Annie

Hi 88fitriao,

I'm sorry to read your post in this forum and wish you will get your wages back from the employer. Would you like to work in mega Kuningan? Basically live out, 5 times a week and required to do housekeeping works and cooks. I'm only live with my husband, so not much thing to do as well.

[Moderated: Kindly use your pm]

Thanks!
Regards,
ibu Livia

Thank you so much for your help miss,actually I've been calling jala PRT but still haven't speak with the lady who's in charge.so still doing nothing yet.I've been trying to ask my ex employer but still no answer.I want to come to her house but without let her know first i'm affraid she will send me out again and that's would make me feel more misserable.for now I think I will wait till 1st of may,because she said if she will give the salary she will give me the end of the month.I still hoping  we have good solution for both of us{me and my ex employer}.

I am very impressed with nurhayati English! she wrote with a proper grammar as well. hm wow.

Today Jala PRT call me.they are going to send a letter to my ex employer.hope everything went smoothly.thanks for all the help.too bad,not much people(maid for expat) knowing there's a national network for domestic workers advocacy in indonesia that can help us.so we know our right.many staff out there still have no idea about these thing,and if even happen to themself they just let it go and give up because they didn't know who can help them.I thank for this forum that can be shelter for both staff and employer without look down the other.Thank you all..
For now I just bit nervous waiting for the outcome. .
I feel that I'm the only maid dare to do this thing.
God bless me and bless all the people that help me

Goodluck, Nurhayati! The best of luck!

@ 88fitriao - Good luck and hope all works out for you. :)

Hopefully this situation will be resolved to work for both of you.
Its good that you posted such an incident here on Expat.com as i'm sure you've opened alot of doors for others out there in your situation..

You have alot of support from others on this forum.

Well done 88fitriao  :thanks:

J

Where did you get the job  as maid? was it from Agency? If so, you can tell to your Agent  about your problem and  if you have job contract, you can show the job contract to the Police and tell the Police in detail to make TKP.
Bring also the evidence while you're making TKP.
Hope you can get your're salary back for April 1St  to April 16th , I do understand what your feeling and it's hard to be alone in this situation.
And  I know this process will take time.But the law must be upheld.

Thanks for the concern,I get my job from my previous emplyer.she was her friend. I think I just have to wait for now since Jala PRT{an advocacy for helper} already help me.it just they need to complete the procedure and it will take a while.I just want to give a little lesson for my previous employer,because my friend(that still work there) told me she doesn't change her attitude at all but even worst.I just hoping this will change how she treat a maid.

The problem of maids being treated very badly is common in Indonesia. There are no effective employment rights so the less than kind employers do pretty much as they want.
I've heard of maids that aren't allowed to sit on a sofa, must hand wash (even when there's a washing machine) and even have to buy their own bed as the employer refuses to provide one. The lowest salary for a live I know of was Rp100,000/month.
If you have no where to go, the employer can get away with it.

“The problem of maids being treated very badly is common in Indonesia.”

Not to nit pick your comment Fred, but this depends a great deal on what part of Indonesia.

Ubudian wrote:

“The problem of maids being treated very badly is common in Indonesia.”

Not to nit pick your comment Fred, but this depends a great deal on what part of Indonesia.

I can only comment on a few bits of Central Java and what I've seen in Tangerang area.
The rest are simply stories, I'm unable to verify.

88fitriao wrote:

Thanks for the concern,I get my job from my previous emplyer.she was her friend. I think I just have to wait for now since Jala PRT{an advocacy for helper} already help me.it just they need to complete the procedure and it will take a while.I just want to give a little lesson for my previous employer,because my friend(that still work there) told me she doesn't change her attitude at all but even worst.I just hoping this will change how she treat a maid.

Well I hope that everything is going to get better.
Never afraid to raise your voice. Dont let anyone treat you badly, everyone has the same rights to speak up. 
People like your previous employer indeed need a slap on their face.

Best wishes for you.

Fred, I can happily tell you that reports of abuse of maids (pembantu) in Bali are rather rare.

Hi 88fitriao,

You sound like a smart person, I think you need to start to look for a job other than working as a maid / babysitter, etc.
There's a talent in all of us and, I think you need to look deep into that. 

Don't give up Dear :)

How I wish I could have other chances in different job mdm,is not because job as a maid that bad.but I just graduate high school only.and here I am,a east java girl with high school graduate try my luck work in jakarta.I don't really care what people think about my job as a maid as long I can earn money for living in a HalaL way and doesn't make a family ashamed I would still happy to work.

with the help from Jala prt today I sent letter from my previous employer.with cc. from LBH jakarta(legal aid Jakarta).
they help me to make a formal letter to ask my ex employer to pay up my salary.so from today i have to wait for the respons until one week,hope this would work.and if doesn't works i can take a legal action and Jala PRT has promised me that they would help me.
as i promised i will keep posting the outcome of this problem,because without any helps from all of you i wouldn't have this courage until all the way through.
I owe you ALL so much. .
Thank you

Thank-you for posting your update 88fitriao.

I hope everything will work out for you and there will be a good resolution for both you and your ex-employer. I have a good feeling this will work in your favour.
Good luck :)

I just received a text messages from my ex employer.she ask me to come to collect my salary at 4.30 this afternoon.. Thanks God everything going well.but as usual,she said I was playing stupid games with her by send her a letter for asking salary. She said my salary is already there but it was my mistakes not to come to collect them. And now I've been thinking do i really that stupid,by asking her last time and she send me out and now she telling me It was my mistakes not to collect them. Or maybe she just put all blame in me because she do not want to look have a mistakes.
Dear member, I just really have no idea what to do with tis person. She's never fail to make me feel useless and look stupid (even know I'm not smart either).did I do wrong by being a maid.

She doesn't want to take the blame. Do what you should is the  best for you and walk out graciously. She's not worth your time and you deserve better.

Thank you so much miss,you make me feel a bit better.

Glad I could help :)...just remember you need to stand up for yourself and whatever she has to say about you; just ignore it and oh yeah, don't forget to take the cash. That's why you are coming there ? That's your right

I am so happy to be part of this forum.there's no gap between expat and indonesian.every one just can help each other. For my problem above all my salary problem,here I found so many great people.can't thank you enough with the help. May God always bless you with happiness