Spouse Visa

Hi,
I would really appreciate your help.

I am from the UK and have been here in Brazil 5 months (extended my initial 3 months).

I am in the process of getting married to my Brazilian GF in Rio and hopeful it will be completed about a week before my 6 month tourist visa ends.

Obviously I am nervous about timing as I do not wish to need to leave Brazil. I have a few questions. I presume I can start the application from the day of my marriage is this correct?

Is there an up to date list of documents I need for the Spouse Visa?

Which of these documents do I need to be certified at the Brazilian Embassy in London? Can my passport be authenticated in Brazil?

Do I need to make an appointment for the application of I just turn up at the PF when I am married.

If my marriage doesn't happen in time and I overstay, can I still get married when overstaying and do you think the PF would accept my Spouse application or I would need to leave?

Thank you so much for the help.

Have you already applied for permission to marry at the Cartório and received a wedding date? If not then you will not be able to get married in time before your visa expires and you will have to leave the country.

If you overstay your visa you will still not be able to get married since you must be legal in the country to get married.

If you already have the date set and it's for before your visa expires then yes you can apply immediately for the Permanent Visa. Legally once married you are permitted to remain in Brazil until your visa application is completed.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Hello tech-spec.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

To note that a new thread has been created from your message on the Rio de Janeiro forum.

Thank you,
Aurélie