Finding a job in the USA

Hi  my name is Madelaine Phillips. I am from South Africa and really find it difficult to get a job in the USA. I have consulted with numerous recruitment agencies but have had no luck yet.

I am 26 years old and have a National Diploma in Human Resource Management, I don't know if that means something in the US. I am prepared to do any kind of job for now as long as I can get my foot in the door. I have HR experience and some waitressing experience, also worked as a receptionist at a caravan park.

I would really appreciate it if you could give me some pointers as how to get a legit job in the US. I do not have any family in the US but I do have a friend that's been living in New York for about seven years now.

I would also like to know if a job offer is the only way to obtain a visa for living in the USA. who else can stand as a sponsor??

Your help will be highly appreciated.

thanks

Madelaine

Hello Madelaine.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I invite you to download the USA pdf guide.
Its content could help you.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hello Madeleine
I am expatriate from Mexico,living in USA since 17 yrs. ago and I also came here for job, I had nobody living here no friends or family at all it was very hard for me but I got a job after 4 day upon arriving in LA so it is my recommendation for you to move first to US and since you have a friend in New York and is able to provide you with housing, you guys can be roommates and you can start right away looking for job that way is easier since the employers would like to interview you in person, it's been a little hard to find jobs lately but you have a very good career and in New York will be much easier to find something.
The best luck for you and hopefully you find the job that you need
Sincerely
Eva :D

Thank you very much guys, you are too kind.

Eva what I would like to know is what type of visa I should apply for seeing that I don't have a job yet or any family. What type of visa did you get, the first time you moved there??

Sincerely
Madelaine