Drive myself or better hire one driver?

i understand the traffic in Jakarta is killing the time of everibody
how is better?
drive myself? how dangerous it is?
or hire one driver? if yes, how much would cost (USD/month)?

for sure both alternatives have pros and cons, i would like to have your opinion on this

for local driver, they used to cost about $150, but the minimum payrate is now $230 per month for jakarta. i have no idea about english speaking driver though.
if you got excess money, it'd not be a bad decision since you'll spend a lot of time on traffic while driving if you go out a lot.

Unless you need a car all the time, download the blue bird taxi app from android play store.
Far cheaper, safer and no worries about parking or being screwed after an accident.

PS

Your licence will probably not be valid in Indonesia so you'd have to get a SIM A.

thaks for you comments
i think durring the week it would be better using the taxi
but for the weekend?
what if i whant to go arround/outside Jakarta with my family?
better to use taxi also for this?

You can rent cars and drivers for the weekend as well which would make it easier for you and your family. Driving here is stressful and not enjoyable so I think it would be better to leave it to an Indonesian who is used to and more adept to the driving conditions here.

thank you for the comments
soon i will have the exploration visit, i think no more than one month
some tips which i can follow for traveling inside Jakarta?
best zone for living, close to a very good international school?

n_chis,
I suggest a driver, at least in the beginning.. the traffic here is.... *speechless*
the cost for taxi's can pile up, especially if you live far from the office and go during rush hours.. but if your work dont provide you with company car, perhaps it would be more economical to go with taxi (cars are more expensive here)

even I still dont have the guts to drive here.. my husband on the other hand, who initially also refuse to drive, is now an expert and blend in seamlessly as the locals..hehehe

best zone for living, south selatan (imho)
cant help you wuth the schools, dont have kids yet.

To drive here requires:
A local licence - SIM A
Guts - sometimes spread all over the road.
Brain turned off
Eyes in your arse
A death wish

Taxis are cheaper

Best place to live as as close as possible to where you work.
Jams can add hours to your day.

i think, better have a driver. the traffic is crazy and would be very tiring. i personally, suggested, that if it possible, take the AC train. i take it everyday, and have seen several expats do the same. just a suggestion.. ^^

If you use transportation everyday, then best to use a driver. Driving yourself in Jakarta could damage your mental. Lol
Taxis are good and cheap, rent a car for the weekend when you go out of town.

hy chis.....better u hire a driver.....and driver must fluent in english knowing jakarta verywell.....cost its from $300 until $400 a month...i can help you to find a good driver

hahaha...so funny about jakarta trafict...dont worry bro, i will help you...i was beeing " tukang ojek" ..hehee

Sir/mdm, if you need a driver for driving your car at Jakarta or down town or outside the town please email me at : [email protected]
I've over 30 years driving experience for many car brand.

Thank you.

the last post here was more than 1 year ago, maybe you start a new thread so chances to get serious response will be higher.

Ad some references from previous employers if you have

Sorry, my driving experience all this time as a personal driver and driving my own vehicle so I do not have working experience letter. Last month I became a driver daughter of a conglomerate and driving a Toyota Alphard.