LAE QUERY

Hi! I'm an HR Professional in Manila who's considering a work offer for an HR Manager position in a new sardines making & canning company currently being built in Lae, PNG.

Would like to know average monthly costs for electricity, water and food (3 meals a day)..Are expats given insurance provisions for health & accident/life? Hope someone can enlighten me on this?

Your inputs shall be highly appreciated, TNX! :)

Hi Nicole,

I am currently base in POM, and the setting is different in Lae. Anyhow, as for average expense for food it would take Kina 400-500 a month. Electricity is shouldered by the company @ K250/month (since its prepaid, this depends on usage), as for the water its included on the accomodation rental.

With my package, they provided medical benefits, but you should know the coverage. because when i got here, the medical is only provided when you got sick or hospitalized and it sucks. :P

Hope this helps.

Rj :)

Hello Nicole, I am not the best person to give you advise on your potential role. The company I work for is located outside of Lae and everything is provided (housing, food, transport etc). the living in Lae is difficult with little luxury items available and few places to go out to, security is a problem and most expats live in compound style accommodation. Rents are high for the quality of the housing and rental subsidy should be negotiated if housing is not provided.
There is a large Filipino community here and contact should be made with them if you need support.
All the best

Hello Nicole. My is danie,I will be also work in Lae and the same as your company, if im correct is this majestic seafoods corporation? Did you already accept the job offer or not? Because I have a second thought because they offer a lower package...

Hi Everyone,

I've been here in Lae for 5 years, the cost of living here is cheap compared to POM when it comes to food and other utilities.  Usually your employer will shoulder the accommodation and insurances but its on a limited coverage package.  Lifestyle here is very laid-back and I advise to stay at home always and keep your two-way radio with you if provided by the company for emergency situation and always trust your instinct.  I don't want to sound absurd and discourage you but living here in a foreign land without any protection for migrant workers is hard, you will not be protected by law only the company gives protection but sometimes they have to protect their own business here to survive.

Good luck..

Good for you Nicole good luck just be safe always specially now they have constitutional crisis going on..yesterday looting of shops, shooting happened in Port Moresby because of some protest and opportunist..by the way bring smart roaming no globe roaming here..

TYVM for d feedback, so I really need to subscribe to SMART..using Globe & SUN back home..

I was told I need to stay in Port Moresby for a while before flying in to Lae where our plant is located..I need to attend some labor-related seminars there, being the company's HR Development Mgr..

what hotel/s can u recommend then as safest in Port Moresby?

Is your company will shoulder your hotel expenses if ever? I would suggest Airways Hotel, as it is near in the airport but too pricey, otherwise gateway hotel or ask someone from your company to pick you up and stay with their accommodation.

Hi Guys. I also accepted a job offer as HR Mgr in a company where I will be based in Lae. I am basically a homebody so "night life" and "malling activities" are not much of my interest. Well, first and foremost, I am going there to work. So, I have conditioned myself that I choosing to work there entails some sacrifices.

I really appreciate the information on this forum. For one, Globe has already made roaming in Papua possible. I have checked with them 2 days ago when I inquired about roaming. Though, I also keep a smart number. My employer clearly stated that they do not provide life insurance (sad) for overseas workers. Does the same applies to others, if not most, of the companies there?

I was encouraged by the thought that there is a Filipino Community/Association there. A Filipino friend is a member :)

Hello LJ,

There is POEA Mandatory Insurance for Filipino OFWs and is applicable if you'll be leaving for PNG..It isn't much as the insurance I enjoyed with my 1st employer abroad but then at least you'll have one:

Natural Death  - US $10,000
Accident                             - 15,000
Permanent Total Disablement          -  7,500
Repatriation Benefit                 -  Actuals
Subsistence Benefit                  -    600
Legitimate Claim Monetary Assistance -  6,000
Compassionate Visit                  -  Actuals
Medical Evacuation                   -  Actuals
Medical Repatriation                -   Actuals

Please feel free to go to POEA office to inquire re the above.

You should also be entitled to 26 Days Paid Vacation Leave & 15 Days Paid Sick Leave; and should be allowed to go on 1 month vacation in the Philippines once a year, upon completion of 1yr. service..You'll be paid while on vacation based on the no. of UNUSED LEAVE you have remaining, unused SL can be applied..If you didn't utilize any from your 26 VL & 15 SL, the 11days excess is convertible to CASH.

How many years of contract do you have for PNG? Is it a Filipino or foreign company? How were you hired - is it direct hiring or through a Head Hunter / Agency? I may be able to enlighten you better with complete info re my queries above...

LJ_gorgeous wrote:

Hi Guys. I also accepted a job offer as HR Mgr in a company where I will be based in Lae. I am basically a homebody so "night life" and "malling activities" are not much of my interest. Well, first and foremost, I am going there to work. So, I have conditioned myself that I choosing to work there entails some sacrifices.

I really appreciate the information on this forum. For one, Globe has already made roaming in Papua possible. I have checked with them 2 days ago when I inquired about roaming. Though, I also keep a smart number. My employer clearly stated that they do not provide life insurance (sad) for overseas workers. Does the same applies to others, if not most, of the companies there?

I was encouraged by the thought that there is a Filipino Community/Association there. A Filipino friend is a member :)

dear LJ,

So when are u leaving? Good to hear globe roaming starts to work at png. is it better to bring a globe/smart postpaid or a prepaid?

We just have to continue our sss, philhealth if that's the case coz my employer will also just shoulder my hospitalization..no on the spot dr. check up or annual physical check up.

criscol

NICOLE MLA, PI wrote:

Hello LJ,

There is POEA Mandatory Insurance for Filipino OFWs and is applicable if you'll be leaving for PNG..It isn't much as the insurance I enjoyed with my 1st employer abroad but then at least you'll have one:

Natural Death  - US $10,000
Accident                             - 15,000
Permanent Total Disablement          -  7,500
Repatriation Benefit                 -  Actuals
Subsistence Benefit                  -    600
Legitimate Claim Monetary Assistance -  6,000
Compassionate Visit                  -  Actuals
Medical Evacuation                   -  Actuals
Medical Repatriation                -   Actuals

Please feel free to go to POEA office to inquire re the above.

You should also be entitled to 26 Days Paid Vacation Leave & 15 Days Paid Sick Leave; and should be allowed to go on 1 month vacation in the Philippines once a year, upon completion of 1yr. service..You'll be paid while on vacation based on the no. of UNUSED LEAVE you have remaining, unused SL can be applied..If you didn't utilize any from your 26 VL & 15 SL, the 11days excess is convertible to CASH.

How many years of contract do you have for PNG? Is it a Filipino or foreign company? How were you hired - is it direct hiring or through a Head Hunter / Agency? I may be able to enlighten you better with complete info re my queries above...

Dear Nicole,

You are very helpful. Talaga! I'll be attending PDOS on Friday at OWWA office, I will inquire about the insurance. And the information about leave entitlement and conversion, wow! Though I was already told of the 1 month paid leave here in the Phils. every year.

How many years of contract do you have for PNG? 3 years.
Is it a Filipino or foreign company? Foreign company with filipino HR manager and Australian CEO/Principal
How were you hired - is it direct hiring or through a Head Hunter / Agency? through agency, on-line application.

Please share me more thoughts :) And I hope to see you when I go to PNG. I'm leaving next week, flying there.

dear LJ,

So when are u leaving? Good to hear globe roaming starts to work at png. is it better to bring a globe/smart postpaid or a prepaid?

We just have to continue our sss, philhealth if that's the case coz my employer will also just shoulder my hospitalization..no on the spot dr. check up or annual physical check up.

criscol

Dear Criscol,

I am scheduled to fly to PNG next week. I am obliged to retain both my globe and smart numbers.

Yes, I have already accomplished SSS form for voluntary contribution and will continue PAGIBIG contributions.

Hey Guys! Have been reading your posts and these help me alot to be informed of how life in PNG particularly Lae is. I have been nominated for an expatriation assignment by Nestle Philippines there.
I would like to, initially, inquire or ask your suggestion of a nice, secure and safe compound/townhouse or apartment in Lae. Salamat, hope to hear from you soon!

I have been in Lae about a month. The supermarkets are actually better than I expected. Milk products and meat are a bit more expensive than Australia (ie, meat $10-20 per kg) but the vegetables are good value.

I am a single guy and 31 years old and am a little bored.  I plan on heading to POM at least once a month where I have some mates.  Once I find some friends then I can see myself enjoying Lae a lot.

Dear All.
It's good to found this blog, so far very helpfull, and give me same description how life's going on in PNG.
I just got offer a job to work in Papua New Guinea as Retail Analyst. The employer say maybe they will place me in Lae or Port Moresby.
They provide the accommodation such as (housing - one room per one person, transportation, medical insurance and meals).
For the salary they offer me net SGD 1,500.
Considering with the living cost, life style, security, and risk that i will face there, is this offer is enough fair to me ?

Very appreciate for those already have experiencing working in PNG to give me some advise.
If don't mind kindly attached like a simple list of living cost(grocery, meals at general restaurant, mobile charge, internet charge)in PNG.

Thanks In Advanced.
Best Regards.
Chazh. :)

Any inputs on the life security while working at construction sites as we dealt with public works and spend most of the time in open areas. How secure we are whilst at work? Appreciate your inputs.

Do you really recommend to go all the way to Port Moresby/Lae in PNG or any other places in PNG to put lifr in trouble.

What do comment on this to take an offer of employment in civil construction field.

Hi Guys, I'm considering the job offer at Farmset Limited as Admin Manager to deployed at Lae. They will provide accommodation, electricity, gas, phone, water. I will have a car with free fuel so basically food is not covered. I've read a lot of safety issues in Lae online. The company is offering my to bring my wife and kids...Is it advisable to bring my family in Lae? does it have any decent pre-school for my kids? please help....

Another senseless killing happened in Mount Hagen yesterday morning. A 62 year old Australian was shot at point blank range and his Filipina wife were gang raped by 10 PNG locals. This is so inhumane and these animal act should be condemned.. It's getting worse out here.. the said suspects were armed and did a house break to the accommodation of the said Australian national.. tsk..tsk.. same incident happened last week in Rabaul were a couple was robbed, house break, and gang raped his wife by 18 suspects.. OMG PNG! Death penalty should be imposed in your country..

Hello guys, been reading all your posts above and it's been helpful.

How's the security situation in PNG right now? Esp in pom and lae- is it still as unstable as 2 yrs back?

I had an initial interview for a single contract thru an agency. So i think one of u here is lucky because you are offered to take your family with you.  Did you actually take it?

Its for an insurance broker, and i had been contacted thru an agency in the Phils.

I am only waiting for the 2nd round of interview.  I just wonder whats the turnover for Filipinos working in png- i mean how long do they work before they exit or quit.  Because that may mean that working in png may either be worth it or the opposite.

Thanks!

Hello Lj_nicole, Are you now in PNG?  How are you so far?

If i might also add, my offer does not also include life insurance, only medical insurance coverage.  I surmise because of the security situation there; life insurance is just too costly for the companies...

Im a family woman, so im still figuring out if this offer is for me...

Jill

Hi Lae Expats,

I have been to several blogs for PNG research. I had just scrolled down your helpful tips over this blog too. After all, my collective impression on PNG's general peace and order situation is "critical or volatile".Not quite far different from the Southern part of the Philippines where I came from (The big difference is, there is a high regard from the government for the security of foreigners and their is still a usual respect-hospitality predominant behavior of the general Filipino populace of the area). I just don't know particularly in Lae, especially currently, since this blog thread has been inactive for almost 2 years. So, How is it  going now?...

I am being offered for a Business Development  Officer job bound for Lae.I guess I need to mention too, with WC Group of Co.--Boko Motors. Transportation &  Housing are being provided. I don't know for Medical Insurance and Meals. Any idea regarding  the apparent  benefits usually this kind of big company has to offer is greatly appreciated...What is the standard salary grade for this kind of job in PNG?

The initial offer is at least 1000 US dollar,Still not quite remunerative?Since I will be taxed with 36-42%? plus all day-to-day personal living expenses...

SECURITY AT WORK ?...Since my kind of job requires to be marketing around, visiting prospective clients. Is carjacking and robbery is also predominant in Lae?

Please help.God Bless..

Forget PNG if you have any other job offer. Is $1000 net after tax or gross? that's K3000+ (Kina, PNG Currency) and with the high inflation rate and rising cost of living I would say it's not worth it.  Not to mention, the prevalent lawlessness of the country.  Recently, there is one Filipino expat who was hit by a pipe on his nape because he terminated his staff due to non-performance issues, now the Filipino expat is in the Philippines for good but suffering health issues. The company just gave him a one time compensation, in which, I believe that it's not worthy because of the long term effect as he loss his mental capabilities, speech, etc. A few months ago some Filipinos too was held up at gun point even if they have a convoy vehicles, in which, rascals took one of their company car then few weeks after the Lae Police found the vehicle in bad shape and they're asking the company to redeem it for the amount of K3000 to K5000 Kina. Hope I answered your question concerning security at work and the overall security per se in Lae. Bottomline, its getting worst here I would say it better before their Independence as you can walk on the streets without thinking of any harm and the locals are treating expats with utmost respect.

I got you man.Thank you very much.Refer to my reply at the blog thread. Ingat kayo dyan mga utol! God bless..

Dear all,

Appreciated for this useful info.

This is Jim, I might receive an offer in LAE or Port Moresby as a salesperson.

Could anyone tell me more about the latest safety and living in there.

Thanks in advance.