Can a Retired Canadian move to Vanuatu?

Hello!

I am retiring in a few years from a life as a commercial airline Pilot. I have flown to SYD from YVR many many times and love the South Pacific. My wife and I would love to move to Vanuatu for a few years after retirement. How feasable is this? Are there any laws prohibiting such a move? Visas required? Duration? Do we have to qualify for entry?

Thank you all in Advance!!

Dave

Hi and welcome on board Dave!

I hope other members will advise you soon ;)

Regards
Armand

Thanks for the reply! The info I obtained from the government site seemed to say the same. Looks good! Wife and I are looking at a window that doesn't open for about 2 years. That would be our official retirement date. Do love that part of the world though. In the meantime we are going to plan a trip down there for a month or so to get to know the Islands better. Vanuatu looks like the type of place though. Climate, size, location, lifestyle pace, fishing, sailing etc. One other question was the relative incidences of Malaria. Has it been significantly reduced / erradicated on Efate? How about the outlying Islands? Precautions? Netting etc? Thanks again!

Hi David,
There is no malaria on Afate  Aneityum, or Fortuna anywhere else you must take extreme care.
Spending a month here is very sensible. I think most ex-pats come to (Vanuatu) and mainly Efate, but there are a few ex-pats on outer islands because Efate has a cosmopolitan feel to it. You can buy most things, where of course on outer islands it won't be that simple. No matter where you are, it's a lovely place to retire. Sure, there are the odd disadvantageous, but they outweigh the advantages 100%.

Long time no post I know, ha! Well its been almost 2 years since I first joined the forum. I had mentioned about coming down Vanuatu way after retirement. My retirement date from Air Canada is this coming December. Looking forward to that after almost 36 years there! (going early at 56) Wife and I are looking at coming down to Vanuatu for a look see in February hopefully for a month. We are going to look about for a rental in town (furnished apartment?) Hope to explore about and get to know the place better. She is a Nurse / yoga instructor and might even look at job opportunities if they exist. I would be interested in talking to Air Vanuatu even about possibilities. I am making some initial inquiries about a rental, hopefully find something that works. Also going to watch the forum closer now to see whats new!

Cheers,  Dave

I should be moving there in the next few months.  I am moving to santo, not port villa.  I will be shipping things there.  I should have some good information for you soon about shipping.

Thanks Mark, best of luck on the move!

Hi Dave,
There is nothing to stop you from retiring to Vanuatu, but keep a bolt hole somewhere else. We spend 4 months a year there so don't have to pay the 1200 dollars a year for residency, (600 dollars + 600 dollars rip off). Our home is on Devils point road 10 minutes from Port Vila. Our neighbour is a pilot for Air Vanuatu, let me know if you would like his contact details?. We also spend 4 months a year in Italy and 4 months a year in the UK.
Cheers,
Nick.

I understand the frustration of paying the extra money.  But, one has to wonder, is it worth it to have to go to other locations?  I understand they look great, and if you have the money to travel over the world, it would be nice.  But one has to wonder, aren't you paying more for the plane ticket to leave than you would to Vanuatu to stay?

Thanks for the Reply Guys,

We would definitey keep a place back in Canada regardless. Do some VRBO or property swap with it maybe (Vancouver Island) Our 2 boys (29 and 26) are back there also so we would be back every year for a bit. They would be drooling to come down Island way for a visit also I would bet! I would have to say that yes the plane ticket out is at least as much as the resident fee thing, perhaps a wash. Your neighbours contact would be great also, thanks Nick. We are renting a 3 br condo for a month south of Port Vila by 10 minutes by Pandanus Bay, just past Erakor Island. A month there to test the waters of moving, explore, meet some folks, and escape the Canadian Winter .. ha! Any info on "to-dos" while there would also be appreciated. I have a list already, but would love to add to it! Back home In Jan it is usually wet and about 4 to 8C. Odd sunny day, but that is def our wet season. Snow some winters but not all. (Always in the Inland mountains though) Flying to SYD this coming Wed. Our route often goes over "NVVV" (Port Vila) or at least over Espiritu Santo, depending on winds and weather. I'll wave as we go by.   ;)

Cheers,  Dave

Hi Mark,
We don't leave because of the cost of residency in Vanuatu, this is how we planned it. The dreamliners will be doing direct flights from Europe to Fiji soon so the journey will be a snack. We lived in the New Hebrides in the 70's and know that it's a lovely place but you have to get away once in a while!.
Cheers,
Nick.

Hi Dave,
Thanks for your reply. What is your email address please (so I can give it to our neighbour / Pilot?. Will compile a list of good things to do. A sail on the Coongoola from Havana Harbour is a good start.
Cheers,
Nick.

Hi Nick,

[email protected]

That would be awesome, thanks again. I have been a boater for almost 30 years and love it. That sail sounds like a good start!

Cheers,  Dave