Cost of Abaya

Hi Ladies, can anyone tell me the cost of Abayas and wear to buy them? Thanks

Since you're still in SA, do an Internet search on abaya south africa for abaya stores.

Hi Smurfette, we have quite a few stores here, but I'm looking to compare prices. I bought most of mine in Dubai which was cheaper than buying here. Thanks

thamiela wrote:

Hi Smurfette, we have quite a few stores here, but I'm looking to compare prices. I bought most of mine in Dubai which was cheaper than buying here. Thanks

I doubt you'll find Saudi abaya stores posting their prices online, if that's what you're inquiring about in order to compare costs.  In fact, you'd be hard pressed to find your average Saudi abaya store with a web presence since abayas are easily and cheaply found here in abundance. This is the land of abayas, after all.  However, high-end Saudi abaya designers are likely to showcase their garments online, especially for sales outside KSA. 

Anyway, there are abaya shops everywhere here to fit a woman's budget and style.  Prices can range from a bargain $6 US up to the-sky's-the-limit for an extravagant, custom-made abaya.

Do I need an Abaya right when I get off the plane in Jeddah? If I have an abaya do I need the head scarf too? This is all so new to me...also it is supposed to be black right? In Las Vegas I see women all the time in various colors so I really have no clue..I think I may just have to have my husband by my first one for me in Jeddah before I get there since the ones online seem to be expensive.

stressedmom wrote:

Do I need an Abaya right when I get off the plane in Jeddah? If I have an abaya do I need the head scarf too? This is all so new to me...also it is supposed to be black right? In Las Vegas I see women all the time in various colors so I really have no clue..I think I may just have to have my husband by my first one for me in Jeddah before I get there since the ones online seem to be expensive.

It's more convenient to buy a generic, black abaya before heading to KSA since you know your sizing. (Plus, you really don't want to subject your hubby to abaya shopping...  :D)   

Here are a couple of shops in the USA that sell abayas/jilbabs online for less than $30:

www.bintq.comwww.eastessence.com (also an amazon.com vendor)

As for covering your hair, although most women in Jeddah do, it's up to you.  (I cover my hair, especially since I'm not 'western' looking.)  Anyway, you can usually find large scarves at any of your local thrift stores---just avoid silky, slippery ones.  Pashminas are a good head cover choice.  Another option is to get an ameera (or amira) hijab.  It's a one-piece, no-fuss head covering.  They're available at the above stores I listed as well as on amazon.com (search for amira hijab.)

funny. two years ago id say half the women didnt cover their hair, western and saudi.

to answer the question, 100SAR to 2500SAR are the price ranges

Thank you smurfette!

If you're going to Riyadh, you can visit the [Suwaiqi] souq, it has the cheapest prices in Riyadh, if you're going somewhere other than Riyadh, please specify and i'll tell you where you can buy from.

Thanks dear.

We will be in Jeddah.

stressedmom wrote:

We will be in Jeddah.

You'll find inexpensive ones in Jeddah's souks as well. 

Ironically, my Saudi students tend to own just 2 or 3 abayas each.  (They do, however, love to shop for clothing, bags, and shoes.)  I have two abayas that suit my need for coverage when I'm out and about in public.  Anyway, I've yet to meet an expat with a closet full of abayas.  :D

In Jaddah you can find them in Bab Sharif souq [King AbdulAziz Road - Al-Malikah Building], they are cheap and good

abaya will be the least difficult of anything to get. get a basic one online.  for jeddah the fabric is going to be the most important thing.  i fully suggest spending a little more (1000sar or so) to have one made for you with a super lightweight breathable fabric.  the teachers i went scuba diving iwth all said that with the heat and humidity it made life way better than using cheap abayas

100 to 2500 is the range...

I had my husband sent 1 to the US for me to wear off the plane..I went and got 2 better ones once I arrived in Jeddah. The abaya shops are evrywhere and the fabrics are cotton to silk, whatever you want to buy. I paid 150SAR for the 1 I adore and 200SAR for the other one. If you can get 1 that pulls over the head instead of snapping up it's better. The snaps are horrible about falling apart and everyone will tell you that! I have never covered my head up in Jeddah and although the abayas here came with the head veil I have never used them and NEVER had a problem. I see most western women do not where the veil.  :-)

:D Thank u very much for the input ladies an gents. Much appreciated.

I leave soon for Riyadh and was not going to get one until they take us to buy one during hospital orientation. Now I am thinking maybe I should at least by a cheap one to start here before I leave. I don't understand the sizes. 52, 54,56,60. Is that equivalent to xs, s, m, l ?

Please advise

No its actually the length. Its best u fit one on.

omamar1228 wrote:

I leave soon for Riyadh and was not going to get one until they take us to buy one during hospital orientation. Now I am thinking maybe I should at least by a cheap one to start here before I leave. I don't understand the sizes. 52, 54,56,60. Is that equivalent to xs, s, m, l ?

Please advise

From what source are you getting these supposed sizes?  Anyway, I'd guess the 52,54,56, etc., refers to the measured length in inches from the back of your shoulder to your feet. That differs from extra-small, small, medium...  Best to contact the seller than to have us guess here.

Ok. Thank you for your replies. I am looking online as we don't have abaya shops anywhere locally here

Thanks

i will recommend you the following page.. They sell really nice abayas from Dubai and deliver everywhere. you will the prices.  (moderated: no ads please)

Thank you. As far as abayas go... I only have to wear to get from say point A to point B once there I can take it off and wear whatever I want ? I can run on hospital compound in shirts and t shirt? To golf I can wear shirts and shirt out on the course?