Moving in - any tips for life in Misurata?

Hi all
We (myself,wife,boys & pop) are going to be moving in to the Misurata area. We are looking for any additional information anybody has on living in or around Misurata. I have already learned alot from the forum. Thanks to all that contributed info; it has helped but any additional information would be great.

I've been in Misurata for 2 months now. It sounds like you're planning to pack a lot of people over here with you. To keep it short, with and 'older' pop, not much in the way of medical care here and Tripoli is a good 2.5 hours away. Schools for kids, don't expect much and there are no international schools. Recreation, that's a definate big ZERO also. You like to read or work. Little else to keep one's sanity. Sorry being so blunt but it is a BIG decision you're making and it's one thing to bring yourself here but a whole lot other level of decision that goes into dragging your family into this.

Thanks Padrino for the information is there any pharmacies in town for the basics and a few meds pop isn't to old only 56 he take a couple pills I think but all in all kind of young for being a pop. No schools for expats is ok we home school or my wife does anyway. Are the markets ok or do we need to run to Tripoli every week or 2? O and power / internet any problems?

There's a ton of pharmacies and most if not all pharmacists speak English.  If you need something extra special from the US a pharmacy in Tripoli can order it for you.  I think it's discussed somewhere on this board or Americans in Libya yahoo group.

Medical care... I think it's not too bad - I've had an experience with a private hospital... not expensive and I got what I needed done.  Actually, I have seen some medical practices fancier than what we have in Canada! They have good foreign equipment here and doctors also speak English.

There are lots and lots of small stores and at least one bigger decently-stocked supermarket in downtown - possibly others - I just don't know about them.   Also the prices are a bit cheaper than in Tripoli.

Friday morning open market is great for cheap fresh fruit and veggies (and fish... I still cannot find any other seafood like shrimp, calamari, crab etc so if anyone knows please let me know! we're on the Med and I expected to be stuffing myself with seafood).  Summer is here and watermelons are going to be almost free in a few weeks.  And great figs.

You can also make a trip to Tripoli once in a while (2-2.5 hours - not too bad) and stock up on other stuff.

There are occasional power outages but not too bad.
Internet connection is very good.
You can get very cheap satellite. 

The best part about Misurata is the beach.  It's wonderful (well you have to ignore the dirt...lol)! I would say the sea itself is comparable to the Caribbean and Thailand - not as sandy but the clear turquoise water is awesome for swimming).

So don't worry Misurata is not too bad!

I have to agree with Can Lib in that there are enough in the way of pharmacies here, the grocery stores are okay, well you can get an american peanut butter, but not Skippy, and the other 'basics' pretty much. Town is a lot quieter and less traffic than Tripoli which is a comparative plus. Yes, lots of mom & pops stores. You can find most basic needs weather that be computer accessories or limited clothes. Bring your own Levi's, none here. Shoes shops are pretty good but if you need running shoes bring 'em with you. Tennis courts, forget it. As you discribed you're going to home school and 'dad's' not too old or infrim you'll probably do okay. Housing is an issue. We live in a compound of only single american guys and don't know about rentals but imagine they're around. Books, bring what books you want or plan to download them electronically as there are no real english/american book store we've found. Also, not a single working ATM (there's one in a supermarket but it has reportedly never worked beyond the first week). As I think of more I'll jot it down. I went through the same thing before I came over and luckily found 1 person who wrote me an email 2 days before I left. I wisely repacked with a bit warmer clothing for 'winter'. Oh, shorts seem okay for guys, not women. VERY conservative society in Misurata, Tripoli of course seems a bit more open.

Come on over if you're really intending to...

Padrino

MFZ?

Wow thanks for the details all I do appreciate the info I believe I have about a month or so until I can make it over. So far sounds fun but I am concerned about my wife and kids Pop is a tough old bird he will be fine are there any groups that anyone knows of in this part of the country   i.e. mommy down time book clubs those kinda groups?

MoEl wrote:

MFZ?

What possible assistance can a comment like that give.
I just can't figure why you hang out here.

Regarding things for your wife/kid. Big fat NO. Nothing. One guy had his wife here and she bailed after a few months. English is not very widely spoken, there is zero recreation, there is zero community groups. There are very, very few westerners here at all in Misurata and they are 99.9% men. I know of 1 woman from Austrailia and she's an architect/engineer working here and is married to guy also an engineer and also working here so she's got something to do. Honestly, consider this as I did and decided against bringing my wife based on the 'nothing to do factor' although we'd lived in the Gulf and Latin America before. One guy here is housing his wife and kid on Malta and flying over every few weekends to see them. He's renting an apartment for them, the kid is in an international school and there are things to keep the wife happy and busy. Lot to think about as the last thing you really want I would think is an unhappy wife.

Just my 2 cents but it might save you a lot of bucks.

Padrino

Padrinon thanks for the honesty all too often people will look at things on the optimistic glasses instead of the reality of the situation. If there are no groups in Misurata then maybe we will need to make some I am going to talk to m wife about get things moving on building something. Any ideas for things to do Book or video club/swap, car pool to beaches between Tripoli for BBQ joint adventures with Tripoli expats or one of the boys favorites gamer parties (Xbox) ? I have 3 teen boys give them a stick and it becomes a bat that's a good percentage of a ball team let me know I will start a new thread
But I wandered a bit back to the original topic any ideas on things I should pack a lot of for life in Misurata

I enjoy your enthusisam for possibly creating change.

In Abu Dhabi my wife was chair of the Women's International Assoc. It was a great experience for her. However, there were hundreds of expat wives. I'm going to guess here in Misurata your wife just may be the only one. Small club. Boys playing baseball; your boys need to learn to play soccer, not the other way around.

There's a lot of sand around these parts which I do believe you will be pushing up hill on these issues. Yes you can find food at the super market. But as most Libyans eat at home, unlike Tripoli theres maybe 2 or 3 places here at or above what we would consider a cafe level in Misurata. Play grounds. Good luck on finding any, a few caged soccer courts and I've seen 1 basketball court...less a net. Tennis courts, unknown in these parts.

Yes, I'm not out to paint you a picture that will make you accept the assignment to Misurata, but you best come here with your eyes open. If you find better than I paint, than really great. But in the months I've been here I've looked as I'd love nothing more than to bring my wife here. Bachelor status is not a nice thing, especially as the nearest beer, etc. is a $250 flight away. Pool, haven't seen one. Beach outings with people from Tripoli...they're a good 2.5 hours down a very dangerous truck road. I've almost been creamed on that road 3x in 2 months, and I have a driver. Would I want my wife and kids on it. I don't think so. Am I enjoying it here by myself, it's okay for a guy but nothing to really do.

Just being very real with you. You might consider coming for a while by yourself and see how it goes and what you can find. As I say, I've looked around as I would love for my wife to be here. I just wouldn't do it to her.

What to pack. Not the wife and kids. Pack, causual clothes, books, some video CDs and a IPod music player. Everything else is available.

Padrino

There are two tourist villages in Misurata that have facilities such as pool, restaurants etc.  They have nice activities for families in the summer although in Arabic.  The university in the city has sport facilities that you could check out and it has an English department which may have foreigners working there that you could meet.  You just need to meet a local who will know where everything is located.  Check out the facebook page look out libya which has pictures of one of the resorts in Misurata.
  As for women living in Libya, it is certainly not like home.  In Misurata it will feel isolating for her especially without Arabic.  But making connections is not impossible.  Your boys, I would be more concerned about though.  Without a school, it will be hard for them to meet others.  Good time to learn Arabic though and if you offer to teach English in return, you will have lots of offers for help. 

Libyans are very welcoming as whole, although like any place there are bad apples.  It is what you make it.  It will not be easy, but there are many who do it and in more isolating towns.  Misurata is a nice city.

I have to agree that the Libyans are some of the warmest and friendly people you will ever be around and I've lived around the world. The city of Misurata is probably best discribed as 'large town'. Traffic is less and it is a slight bit cleaner than Tripoli. Of course, there's not that much to do in town either.

welcome to you in libya

Thank You Mahamoud