DESTINATION BARRANQUILLA by JULY 2010

Hi folks, I am new to the forum and have read lots of great comments already.  I am a retired man that is hoping to find a nice resting place for a couple of years there in Columbia....in a city with warmer climate year round that also has international air lines.  What can any of you tell me regarding safety and quiet in the Barranquilla area.  thx., phil

Honestly, Barranquilla wouldn't be my first choice. It's a noisy, messy city. If what you want is a coastal city, beaches and all, your best option is Cartagena, although be forewarned that housing costs rival Miami's. I prefer Santa Marta myself, which is less touristic and is very close to the incredible Tayrona national park. Other, more rustic options are Tolu and Coveñas, to the west of Cartagena. Wherever you settle down on the Caribbean, you'll roast! It's 5 shirt a day weather, year-round, and there's no relief at night! Water shortages are common, service cuts sometimes lasting weeks.
If you don't mind changing the sea for the mountains, there's lots of options in the interior, starting with Medellin. I could go on, but maybe you can just visit my blog for more answers.