DOLLAR BILLS NOT ACCEPTABLE IN PARAGUAY

According to the Central Bank of Paraguay, the following bills are not in use:

US$ 100.oo Bills: Series: C,B,D.

so which 100 usd bills do they take A? F? below certain years the new ones the old ones until what date? What is the maximum amount of cash you can take into the country? Do they accept CHF 1000 denominations 9 (looks like they devalued since they pegged to the euro) of those will put me under the 10k usd mark. What do the atm machines spit out and what are the denominations?

All other bills are accepted, regarding old and other stuff, they should be in fair conditions, nothing special.

CHF are exchanged here too.

ATMs spit out Guaranies, local currency.

The ATM's at least at Shopping Del Sol mall in Asuncion also spit out dollars, in $20's as I recall.

Jfinestra wrote:

According to the Central Bank of Paraguay, the following bills are not in use:

US$ 100.oo Bills: Series: C,B,D.

Thanks for the update

What are the ATM fees there right now?  As I recall a few years ago it was $5 a pop.

The fee is Gs 25,000 charged by the bank who owns the ATM.  This is not counting whatever your bank charges for a withdrawal fee plus foreign transaction fee (if any). 

Another tidbit of information is that the total amount you can withdraw at one time is Gs 1,500,000.  The ATM's at Shopping del Sol at least would allow you to withdraw a second Gs 1,500,000 during the same day.

I remember that Shopping Del Sol did as it was mentioned here, but many ATMs would only cash Guaranies, I know ITAU has ATMs with Dollars, and some other big banks have those ATMs.

Regarding the daily limit for withdrawals, not only at the Shopping del Sol, but at all ATMs, normally, you should be able to withdraw 2 x one and a half million guaranies.  They all belong to the same network: Infonet.

And it is correct, that at least the ATMs at ITAU, if not at other banks as well, "spit out" dollars or guaranies.  It is normally written at the top of the machine on a blue board, whether only guaranies are availabe or US dollars as well.

However, since your home bank will normally give you a better exchange rate, unless you have to make payments in US dollars, I would strongly recommend withdrawals in guaranies.

Are there any limitations on $50 bills?

As far as I have it as long as they are not from the series "CB, B2, AB or DF" and not damaged in anyway, you should not have any problems with them.

Ah good; those are more secure anyway.

What about withdrawing us dollars from atms in Paraguay and getting  a much better exchange rate on the blue market in Argentina? This is my first time in South America and those two countries are up next for me. Thanks for any input.

serioja wrote:

What about withdrawing us dollars from atms in Paraguay and getting  a much better exchange rate on the blue market in Argentina? This is my first time in South America and those two countries are up next for me. Thanks for any input.

Better exchange rate for what? Pesos? nobody wants Pesos, so. it's the same. I don't see any opportunity there.

Please explain with more detail and I might be able to help, I am from Argentina.

Cheers

I just came from Argentina to Paraguay.  The official exchange rate in Argentina is roughly 5 pesos/1 US dollar.  Just about every restaurant was offering 8:1.  It made eating out a lot cheaper, but you need small denomination US notes, as any change you get will be in pesos. You could probably change a $50 note this way.
Its feasible that if you can find someone to give you 8:1 in the streets and if at the airport you can change them back for 5:1 then you could make some money.  For me - too many ifs.

Gabtar wrote:

I just came from Argentina to Paraguay.  The official exchange rate in Argentina is roughly 5 pesos/1 US dollar.  Just about every restaurant was offering 8:1.  It made eating out a lot cheaper, but you need small denomination US notes, as any change you get will be in pesos. You could probably change a $50 note this way.
Its feasible that if you can find someone to give you 8:1 in the streets and if at the airport you can change them back for 5:1 then you could make some money.  For me - too many ifs.

It's almost impossible to get dolars at the official rate. (I think it's actually impossible.. but let's say "almost" just in case ;) )

Yes, I know that nobody wants pesos. But if I use the atms in Argentina then that is exactly what I will get - pesos at the official rate. Right? But if I bring us dollars from Paraguay then I will be able to get a much better exchange rate. That is what I am trying to clarify.