Traveling in and out of Brazil this summer

Hi,

I'm a new member here. I was wondering if someone knows whether or not a re-entry permit is needed in in order to re-enter Brazil?? My family and I have temporary residence visas, due to my husband's job here, but per his company's policy it is mandatory that we do health and other related checkups at the company HQ back in Japan.

In order for me (American) to travel in and out of Japan internationally, a re-entry permity was also a must, because I was a resident there for many years and not as a tourist. If I didn't get the re-entry permit each time I traveled internationally, I would have been forfeiting my temp. residential status automatically, revert to being a tourist and would have to leave after 90 days (in the case of Japan).

Since I couldn't find any info. online about the need for a re-entry permit to travel in and out of Brazil, I'm assuming that Brazil doesn't require one. Can anyone confirm this? Our travel plans are in mid-summer 2013 and I would hate to be stuck at the airport while coming back while the rest of my family pass on through with their Japanese passports!!

Aoi

Hi Aoi,

No re-entry permit required. When you leave Brazil you present your passport and visa, the passport gets an exit stamp. When you return the passport and visa must again be presented and it receives an entry stamp. That's it.

You are only permitted to be outside of the country for a maximum period of 90 days.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Thank you so much!!

Hi William,

Although this is an old blog, there is a situation that my stepchild is going to leave Brasil for a certain time. She is entered Brasil with a temporary visa (registered under my Work-Visa).
According to your reply here above, my question comes up;
1. If she leaves Brasil (she is 15 years) with another adult, does it mean she can only be out of Brasil for no longer then   
   3 months?
2. What happens if she overstay the 3 months?
3. What if she returns, and the other adult does not have a Visa, is she allowed to enter or she will have difficulties at
    PF?

As far as I'm aware if you hold a temporary visa you're permitted to be out of the country for only 90 days at a time and still retain the visa status. There is an exception for circumstances beyond one's control such as being hospitalized. Other than that I think you'd have to re-apply for her VITEM. You should really check that with the Federal Police.

Also a minor traveling with only one parent or any other adult; the parent/adult who accompanies her must also have a notarized letter of permission from the other parent. This must state departure date, destination, normal place of residence while at the destination, expected return date and name, identification of the accompanying adult.

I don't quite understand your last question about the return. Do you mean your daughter doesn't have the visa or the accompanying adult doesn't have a visa? First of all they wouldn't even be allowed to board the aircraft without a visa unless they held a passport from a Visa Waiver Program country which allowed them entry to Brazil without a Consular Visa. Again any travel for the minor requires a notarized letter of authorization.

Hope that answers your questions.

Cheers,
wjw

Hi william,

thanks for your quick reply, it answers my question.
That's correct the accompanying adult (father of my step daughter) doesn't have a Visa. he just comes and goes as a tourist. Would that create an issue upon return to brazil border? She has a temporary visa for 2 years (registered under my temp Workvisa).

It depends on what passport he holds. If it's a Schengen Area passport or one of the other Visa Waiver Program countries, his passport gets stamped on arrival and the stamp is essentially his visa. If he does not, hold one of these passports then he would not be able to board a plane or enter the country at a land crossing without a visa.