How to make friends in Washington

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals or expatriates) when you're living in Washington :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Washington??

Thanks in advance for your participation

I would like to live in Washington. To make things easier, I woul like to start by making friends.

I had the same dilemma when I arrived in the U.S. The best things is to sign up for serveral activities, clubs or groups which share the same interests. I was also recommended a french meetup and started attending it.

I'm an expat in Egypt but am from Olympia and I've lived and worked all over the world.  I've found that the best way to make friends is to get involved as a volunteer in a non-profit organization that works in an area I'm interested in.  That way you meet people with similar interests.  For instance, if you like animals you can volunteer with the local humane society or a rescue shelter.  Google "Horse Rescue WA", or "Golden Retriever Rescue WA" (or whatever) and you'll find a rescue shelter.  If you like working with kids contact the Boy Scout or Girl Scout council (be prepared to authorize a background check).  The American Red Cross always needs people too.  Here in Egypt I volunteer with a couple of non-profits doing basic maintenance in clinics and stuff like that and have made life-long Egyptian, French and African friends in the process.

Why don't u try facebook?

I'm from Zimbabwe. I recently moved to D.C. I'm keen to make new friends. I think i will definitely join a society as someone suggested here. It seems like a great move forward.

i have the same situation as well i just want to know about tunisian culture places restaurants,meetings,you know that kinda stuff :/

Hi
same here

This post is about the State of Washington, not the city of Washington D.C.  There's a big difference so if you want to connect with people interested in Washington D.C. please start a new thread (if there isn't one already).

On the other hand, if you want to know about stuff like the best coffee, airplanes, computer hardware and software in the world (not to mention great people and places) you're in the right place!