Massachussets flatshare

Hi,

is it popular to share a flat in the Massachussets ?

What advice would you give to those looking for shared accommodation in the Massachussets?

Can you recommend specialized local websites or newspapers?

By the way, keep in mind there is a flat share/house share section in the Classifieds ;)

Thank you in advance for your participation and advice!

Christine

Not popular. Almost non-existent to share with a complete stranger. Americans are paranoid about strangers.

I lived in Massachusetts in flatshare situations and I knew plenty of others who did. It's more of a fact of life if you are young and living in the Boston area since places cost so much.

When I was looking (albeit several years ago), the place most people found living situations was on craigslist. It looks like this is still pretty popular. Many students rented like this and found housing through their school or student networks.

One tip: a place referred to as a one bedroom split means that it's a 1 bedroom apartment, and one of the rooms rented as a bedroom is the living room. In some cases this is two private closed-off rooms and only common space is the kitchen & bath. In other cases I saw, though, there is one private room and the person renting the other space has to be ok living with the other person constantly walking through their space to get to the bathroom or out of the apartment.

Thank you both for contributing! :)

Aurélie

Most of the universities, hospitals and larger corporations usually have flat shares options on their classified websites.

I think flat shares are indeed very popular especially for students and new grads.  you just have to be careful.

Thank you BOSTON MAMA! :)

Aurélie