Just Moved to Mauritius

Hello everyone

I moved to Mauritius from the UK 2 weeks ago and will be here for at least the next 12 months. It would be really nice to meet and get to know some other expats while I'm living out here. It can be a bit daunting at first when you move somewhere new and you know anyone! I'm living just outside Grand Baie at the moment and working in Port Louis.  I love it here so far and looking forward to my first scuba dive of the year in the lovely Indian Ocean next Saturday.  It's a tough life but someone has to do it!:D.  My French is sketchy to say the least but I am starting my French lessons this week so hope to improve on it fast...

Bye for now

(moderated: you are not on a dating website)

thanks to the moderators for banning dating comment. It is good to see a strict but efficient moderation.
I will be in the same situation than "Islander" soon (moving there) and I just want to meet friends, not girlfriend(s).

thanks guys for the professionalism.

Have a good day.

Arnie

Welcome to Expat.com Islander17 and Arnie_UK !

I think we'll soon organize an Expat.com meet up, it would be an excellent occasion to meet a lot of people :)

merci Julien.

as I put on my profil, I will not move to mauritius before the 1st of April. but of course please go ahead it's a brilliant idea.

regards

Arnaud

A meet up would be great.... Like Arnie said, I want to meet new people and make new friends... I'm not looking for a dating site! I will look out for the posts organising a get together.

Thanks
Sam

Hi Julian,

The last time we had a meet up in Mont Choicey. Try to have it this time in Flic and Flac or Tamarin.

Cheers
Terence

Julien wrote:

Welcome to Expat.com Islander17 and Arnie_UK !

I think we'll soon organize an Expat.com meet up, it would be an excellent occasion to meet a lot of people :)

Hi,

I've been on the island for 2 weeks myself. I was born and raised in London but come from Mauritian heritage. I am fortunate that I do speak French and Creole. I have visited the Mauritius many times and know the island well, at the same time, I can relate in terms of settling in and making new friends.

I'm currently finishing off a self build in Flic en Flac but am staying in Rose Hill, not too far from you.

Feel free to drop me a line, maybe we can meet for a drink some time.

Hope you enjoy your stay.
Jay

Hi Islander17,
"Welcome to the paradise!" I think you read this sentence when you
arrived. There diving sites are very nice around the island. I just finish my course and became a diver. Hope you'll have a nice time here. :)

@ All: i support the idea, to organize a meeting. I'm living in Mau since one ago, but i've never visited this kind of event. I just moved to Beau Bassin, if someone has mood to have a beer, don't hesitate to drop a message. ;-)

Cheers

Hi Alexus - congrats of passing your tests to be a diver.  I did mine many years ago and I'm so glad I did. I had my first dive in Mauritius on Saturday and it was great, can't wait for the next time. 

All the best
Sam

hey julien,we are excited for the next expat meet up hope that it will be in the west part of the island Tamarin bay is the best place too..cheers!! =)

Jungle Onyx

Hi there I also arrived in mauritius on the 1st February and will stay here for 2 years.... The worst so far is not knowing many people to hang out with.. I only communicate with a few people from work but not social... I am from South Africa and came over for work purposes..... Let me know if there is a meet up somewhere.....

Hi there,

I am working in Mauritius for few months and just arrived a week ago. I am from Canada (but born and raised in France). I meet the same difficulties as not knowing too much people.
A meet up would be definitely great!

Who is in charge to organize this ? How does it work ?

See ya :-)

Thanks,
Nick

I think we must set a date and place then we can all meet up somewhere for a drink..... Not sure who will be the organizer.....

Lets get together then... Julian you seem like the person to be good at organizing these meetings lol.

I also would love to start scuba diving and start learning french!!!!!

CoooL.. Im all grabs for a meet up

hi dr im ehvvyy n im live here in mauritius so its better nice to meet you as i work in many  place n with different nationality as im a cook in a hotel  in the north so i can gave u some advice on the living here and before buying something be sure to know the prices first .. u can sms me or call (moderated: better share information here instead of giving your phone number) for futher help .thanks to you ...

Am vikash from mauritius itself, you may contact me.

Hi,

Just to let you know that there is quite a few things going on
here for ex-pats to get involved with and its just a question
of trying them all a couple of times to see what interests you
and which kind of people you are inclined towards...

If you want to have any further information then please let me
know and I'll try to point you in the right direction.

Regards

Alison

Hi Alison - I would like to receive some more information and look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks
Sam

Hi all,
I can see that they are some people interested for a meet up. Where are you all living ? I am around Flic-en-Flac.
I am not sure if someone will finally organize this, so let's get going.
My purpose is that people interested send me a private message (and which corner of the island you are living) and I'll try to find a nice spot where we could all meet this weekend.

Nick

Hi all, i moved to MRU from south africa 3 months ago and i am working at Le Touessrok golf course, i am also interested in meeting up with some fellow expats!

cheers
Dave

Hi Nick.

Sorry for the late reply dont know if the meet up took place already... I stay in mont choisy. Let me know if you able to organize something soon...

Would be great there is so many people chatting but nothing ever gets to the pnt of a meet up...

Hi all !

Well, we are 3 now for a meet-up : anclewyn, Alexus and myself.
I guess, we could make it happen this coming weekend.

What do you think ? Anybody else interested ?

Nick

Hey! Would love to meet up with you guys! Actually Alewyn and I already met with a few others last weekend! Let's set a time and place!

Bonne journee!

Hi Dodolou,

That's cool, you're welcome to join us.
So, we are 4!
Let's all switch to private message to set  best time and place for everyone.

Bye
Nick

Hi all,

Im in if its this weekend.

Jay

Hey!

Thanks for all the replies by private message!

We all seem around flic-en-flac or not too far with transportation.
So maybe the best place would be Flic-en-Flac at Kenzi Bar for example.

Does it work for everyone ? We can say this saturday (23/03) around 9pm.

Feel free to suggest an alternative !

Nick

that's cool julien,

when will gonna be the next expat meet ups and where??
its good to meet new expats and have a great party!!! =)

Cheers!!

Onyx

hey dudes can i join your meet ups man,i will be camping at flic en flac bay after the jam i used to camp every saturday night explore outdoors man either flic en flac bay or tamarin bay..its good to meet new expats man anyway i'm onyx im an optometrist as a profession but when im not on my working days i'm an artist i do oil paint,make music with my guitar and photography..

cheers dudes you can pm me if i'm welcome to join dude!! =)

Onyx

you all are most welcome to come and meet up at Santosha Refuge on sundays any time after 5pm...it is in Tamarin (near tamarin hotel), in our garden at home.  at the SundayJam musicians are welcome to come and plug in and play...people are welcome to bring their own food, drinks and picnic blanket/chairs.  also kid friendly :)
hope to see you there!

yeah thats so true we can also meet at santosha refuge in tamarin dudes and dudettes and have a wonderful music jam on sundays ..

its a mystical place where international comunity,expats and artist are there..:D

cheers!!

Onyx

Hi,

Some of you have confirmed, so let's get going :
Tomorrow at Kenzi Bar (Flic-en-Flac) at 9pm.

See you tomorrow everybody !
Nick

PS : send me a private message if you need my cell just in case

hi im a mauritian,

used to be in england for holidays..

Any help or advice about mauritiusyou can mail me..

Have a nice time in mauritius..

happy week end

regards
AAdesh

see you all later at kenzi dudes and dudettes!! Saturday night fever man!! life outside the box :D

Onyx

See you all there later

it was amazing meeting you dudes and dudettes at kenzi bar it was a great fun man =)

cheers!!

Onyx

Agree! We had a nice time. :)

It was a excellent night, a real pleasure to meet all you guys!!

Hope we do it again soon!!

Jay