Moving to DQ

Hi everyone, new here :cool:

I am currently living in a large villa in Al Hamra compound but would like to move out to DQ with my family into a 3BR+ appartment or villa.

Sorry I know this topic has been beaten to death, and I understand the difficulty in accessing housing in DQ. My question is whether anyone knows of any availability or shortcuts to have a chance to find accomodation there. I am relatively new in Riyadh, and I don't have any contacts or wasta with anyone of the main landlords (Aqaria and Al Mostaqbal).

It might not sound good, but Money is not an object, and timing either.

Appreciate any serious leads.
Thank you.

Hi 993, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

Hope other members will be able to advise you.

Good luck,
Christine

the last time i was in riyadh, DQ was meant for the Diplomats and their families only.. Now i am not sure...

I'm glad someone cleared that up. I'm from Texas and DQ means Dairy Queen where you get great burgers and milkshakes!!

hey 993 !!

Al Hamra is an an excellent place.. I am sure you must have an excellent reason why you want to move out from there to DQ, apart from the drive.

DQ was previously reserved for diplomats and their families, but with many people opting to live out in compounds which are much more livelier, a lot of units are vacant there. The best bet is to contact your Embassy, as they have a reserved quota of accommodations alloted to them. A couple of people in my office rented an apartment their thorough this way.

If you want to rent out the regular way, goto to admin office, minimum security deposit is 90K for a one bedroom, which you have to deposit BEFORE they tell you when a unit will be available.

Hey, 993.  Best of luck to you.  I lived in the DQ for six months between '09 and '10 and liked it very much.  I'm back in Riyadh now for another 3 months of work - very possibly much longer - and I'm stuck in a hotel.  My wife will be coming if I can work out a longer term contract with my employer and I know a hotel just won't cut it - with her or with me.  If you find a person (or organization) that can help find something in the DQ for you and your family, let me know, too ([email protected]).  You may hear of something too small for your family, but it might be just right for me.

Hi All

Thank you for your input.

DQ is open to other than diplomats. Al Hamra is an excellent compound but the strong demand has made them greedy and unrealistic with their prices when the company is not the one paying the rent. Reminds me of Dubai 3 years ago, when we were hostage to landlords' arrogance, until they crashed and started begging people to rent for 1/2 the price.

I will check with my embassy, thanks for the tip.

Any other leads are very welcome. Peterpapa will keep you in mind. :)

Here was me thinking you wanted off Al Hamra because of the Lebanese!

993, anything to do with a certain car?

Well if it is, then he has got one seriously sweet ride..

(Moderated: please post in the Housing section)