4x4 in Nairobi - help!

Hi all,

My wife and I are moving to Kenya in a bit more than two weeks. We'll be in Nairobi long enough to finish some paperwork and find ourselves a 4x4. We're probably looking at a Landcruiser Prado in the 15,000-20,000USD price range. Does anyone know of a somewhat reliable car dealer? Also, if anyone knows a good mechanic, preferably with plenty of Toyota experience, I'd be incredibly grateful - I want to make sure to have a professional look at the car before buying, especially since I'm no 4WD expert. If anyone knows of someone who is selling a 4x4 I'd be keen to have a look - the Landcruiser Prado is mainly because it's a reliable car with good resale value, and if I'm going shopping at a dealer I'd rather stick to something like that...

Thanks so much - feel free to respond here or at [email protected].

Marcus

hi Marcus!

your best bet would be to post an ad in the Nairobi Classifieds for motorvehicles.

Hope this helps and wish you best of luck!

Regards

Thanks, I'll do that - but just in case I do have to go to a dealer... I won't have much time in Nairobi, so might not be able to limit myself to classifieds. Do any of the Nairobi papers have a good classified section? I suppose that might be worth a try, too.

Hi Marcus,
I know of a friend Cynthia who has a well maintained Toyota Prado that is disposing off as she is going back to South Africa.

Get in touch with her at [email protected] for more info.

Regards

feel free to get in touch with me if you need help with the legal work. do not take chances.

hi marcus,pliz pliz dont try classified,they are full of conwomen and men.better you try car dealers.

Hi Marcus and Karike!

Please note that we do our best to ensure that no con men post on classifieds. People just need to be careful as there are wolves disguised as sheep anywhere in the world.

Thanks and regards
Armand

hi marcus
[Moderated: No auto promotion on the forum please] Use private message instead

Lots of conmen about so be careful.

Basically for a Prado there are two options - for a pre-2002 model you'll pay around 1.5m shillings but quite likely its been hammered. For a 2003-4 model which was a new model you'll pay around KShs 3.2-3.5 million at current prices for a diesel, about 2.8-3.2 for a petrol. If you have a look at cheki.co.ke and in the car details pages you'll be able to get a sense of pricing currently - there's a bit of a price hike at the moment due to a lack of cars coming from Japan - the adverts on sites like this are probably listed 10% above the actual sale price, and ignore the ones listed as 'ready for import' as the pricing is calculated from yen and may or may not include duty (and the 6-8 week shipping time)

The good news is that whatever you pay for a car now you'll almost certainly get exactly the same price when you sell it a short time later so newer is better if you've got the cash. You can buy privately through expat listings in a free expat magazine called XPatLink that is given out at major shopping centres in Karen, Westlands and Gigiri. Also at these shopping centres there are notice boards where many private sellers advertise.

There are some reliable dealers around - probably Sean Garstin at Lavington will get you a good deal but his cars tend to be expensive but good quality and he will sell it for you again when you leave. Thornhill Motors in UpperHill has a good reputation as an importer for expats.

Note that there is a bit of paperwork as well as risk involved n car selling and buying to note  ie logbooks, insurance and licensing. You probably want some local advice or assistance in that regard - don't have any particular recommendations here I'm afraid.

hi - im hoping you havent yet bought your 4x4.
anyways being a 4x4 die hard just a few tips
when u buy a 4x4 -
do u mean 4x4 or suv - there is a difference. if your planning on doing your own safaris (mara - tsavo - magadi - samburu) then you will definitely need a 4x4 - landcruiser, nissan patrol or if desperate land rover.
if your looking for mainly highway use with the occasional picnic thrown in then i would suggest a prado, rav 4, pajero io or isuzu big horn.
please note that on every street corner in nbi someone is selling cars - your best bet is to visit a few and have a feel for yourself. 95% of all 4x4's coming in are all from the far east (taiwan, thailand, singapore or japan) routed through dubai. out of those 95%,  94% are all automatics - and on behalf of true off roaders - not the best choice for an off roading 4x4 - but it does the job.
if your looking for a reliable hard core vehicle - matatu and pothole buster, whilst having the elegance and comfort of a sedan look no further than the landcruiser GX or VX models. You can also aim for the l/cruiser 79 series cabin type.(troopy).

If you are dead set on the budget you have then 2nd hand is your best bet with the Toyota Prado coming in top.
Great family car. Only few drawbacks - spares - very very expensive - two its a hot car - ie very popular - make sure its branded and secured.
otherwise i strongly suggest you check out car dealers on limuru road, opposite yaya / french school and on Ngong road. spare a day or two and you will find yourself a great car.

As for a mechanic - well let me know when you picked something out. I would be happy to come along and check out the car for you.

You have probably got your vehicle by now.  If not, get a Nissan (Patrol, or X-Trail), these are less high profile and 'nickable' that Landcruisers.

I would recommend main dealer servicing (unless you do it yourself), as there are lots of fake parts on the market - at least with a main dealer, there is the highest likilhood that the parts will be genuine.  Having said that, in Nairobi the Toyota Main Dealer is rubbish.  The standard of work is good, its just the rest, booking it in, waiting time etc.  The Nissan Dealer much much better in this respect and I have always regretted trading our X-Trail for a Toyota Hilux, for this reason.

Imports are OK, but usually not up to African spec. Many Japanese vehicles have spent a lot of time in heavy traffic - the engines have never been opened up and consequently are very smoky (diesels).  UK imports are probably a better bet.  My Wife and I have both imported vehicles and bought new in the local market - the latter vehicles have had by far the fewest problems.

"Great family car. Only few drawbacks - spares - very very expensive"

I was surprised buy this comment about the Prado, but I don't know much. I'd just heard that Toyotas were cheap to repair and spare parts widely available. Is a Prado that much more expensive to repair and get parts for than, say, an 80-series Landcruiser?

i know of a reliable car dealer. call me on 0723 120 345 if you are interested.

Hello Ashantiz -> Do not hesitate to recommend this car dealer into the Nairobi Business directory. ;)

PS: This thread is old.

Thank you,
Aurélie