Living in Wales

My wife and I are interested in moving to Wales for a number of reasons, the main one being that her ancestors are from there.  Mine are from Scotland.  We would like to know as much as you can tell us about living in Wales.  We are both retired so employment is not an issue but taxes and medical care are of concern.  Any help you can give us would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Welcome to Expat.com securesix!

Harmonie :)

Thanks for the welcome.

It's virtually impossible for non-EU citizens to retire to the UK as there is no such thing as a retirement visa. Do you have any EU ancestors (parents or grandparents) through which you could claim citizenship? If you can then you can live in any of the 27 member countries including the UK.

Thanks, guess we'll scratch that plan.  We have no relatives in any of the EU countries.  I really don't understand the reasoning behind it though.  We would not be taking any jobs away from anyone.  The only thing we would have to worry about is medical care.  We certainly are not broke so we would not be living on welfare.  Oh well, thanks for the info.

You could live in the UK for upto 6 months/year on a tourist visa. You could even buy a holiday cottage - you don't need to be a citizen or resident to do that. You would need some private medical cover though as you could not make free use of the NHS as a tourist.

Thanks.  Guess we'll come up with a plan B.