Working as a doctor in Cairo, Egypt

Hi, my name is Daniela and Im a Doctor of General Medicine in Slovakia, Europe. I am currently planning to relocate to Cairo in June 2013. I speak English, Czech of course, and a wee bit of German. I have been looking for any type of administrative job in Cairo online and have sent numerous applications, most of tghem have not even been answered /I guess it is because when they see my Slovak phone no. on my CV = end of story/. I tried stuff like English schools aso, my English is really very good and I have an American accent, but I do not have any certificate or course and neither do I have a teachers minimum so that was the problem with this attempt. I have also tried applying to gyms in Cairo as dance is a great hobby of mine, but they rarely replied. Mostly they say I am overqalified, but I guess if Im willing to settle with the sallary - whats the problem?! So I finally came to the point where I will try to continue in my Medical career also in Egypt, which I actually did not plan at all. I finished Uni three years ago and have worked at a OB-GYN clinic for one year, switched to Cancer genetics afterwards. I do not have any specialization yet. If anyone might give me a hint how the health-system works in Egypt... Is there a possibility my Diploma /Medical Faculty of the Commenius University in Bratislava, Slovakia/ will be accpeted in Egypt? I have heard rumors I need to take some differential exams ... Might anyone have a good idea about a job? Medical, administrative, child-care, dance-instructor, English conversation aso? Your reply will be muuuuuuch appreciated. Thanks, ISA see you in June in Cairo :)

Probobaly it is not the fact of where you are from exactly - but that you are from out of egypt - and all the jobs that you are applying for can be done by an Egyptian at a fraction of the cost.
Also to get you a work permit for these jobs would not be easy if it was possible.
I don't know what the situation is with doctors - but there are many many doctors qualifying here each year - and who are all looking for jobs.
To see a 'normal' GP here is very cheap.
Again you could run into the same issue with the work permit  many qualified doctors looking for jobs - so why should they bring them from outside when they have plenty here - there are many doctors desparate to leave gypt because of this.

there is a lot of jobs in Egypt including many fields depends on ability to speak many - or other language than English , and a lot of expats have a priority when the job related to  a foreign language , so always there is a chance but in medicine field it  was kinda difficult unless you did a good search with no risk

Daniela

It is always nice to talk to a colleague. I am a professor and consultant of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

First, Egypt allows foreign doctors to work here for short periods of time as experts. Their certification and diplomas have yo be approved first by the Egyptian medical syndicate. Definitely the type of certificate and duration of the experience play major role in giving a temporary license to practice medicine in Egypt. I am afraid that you do not fit into this category. if you insist on the medical career, you may try to work as a nurse in one on the major hospitals (e.g. Dar Alfouad). I understand that this can be tough for a doctor but you may try if this acceptable to you.

I have no idea about working as a dancer or dance instructor but working in a gym can be a possibility. You may try also working as English teacher if you have a perfect English skills but it is always better to have a recognized course especially because you are not an English language native speaker.

Finally you should think twice before moving. Egypt is not one of the dream countries that one would think to move to, unless you have a strong motive.

Let me know if you meed any further assistance.

Good Luck

try this

samiaallouba.net/

kandeel - at last a voice of reason!!

And as for being a dance instructor - I am  member of a samia allouba club - and have yet to see a foriegn instructor - at the most it is a part time thing and at the least it is something that doesn't pay very good wages.

Again the issue - many Egyptians without work - many people who can do this job - local salary!