Turks & Caicos

Hey everyone, I was offered an opportunity to work in Turks & Caicos. Here is a copy of what I'll be offered.

Accommodations/food are they provided? - You are provided flights and temporary housing in a hotel while you settle in (2 weeks or so).  You then receive housing allowance for the duration.  You also get an Island allowance.  Food and transportation would be your responsibility once here.  You will be initially given a 2 year contract, then a 2 year extension.  Beyond that you would either continue on in a month to month capacity or your time with us would come to an end.  You're free to terminate your employment at any time.

What is salary? - The salary is approximately $19,548.00 plus allowances in US dollars and tax free.  On completion of your term you also receive a 15% gratuity.  You are deducted NIB and NHIB (both insurances and mandated by law) and pay is monthly, typically through direct deposit and a typical pay check is $2,200/mos.  We appreciate that this is not ideal, we are currently reviewing this Department for adjustment as a priority.

Just wondering if it is possible to live comfortable on this income.
any and all information is greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Hi miss melanie,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I hope you will get some useful information very soon.

All the best,
Christine

Food cost Per person grocery  wise is about 100$/ week comfortably no splashing on gourmet products, not that u find to many :-), , going out is a different story minimum spend per head 25-30$minimum, usually 50-60$ in restaurants. Renting long term depends of the area, and type of accommodation , usually a 1 bedroom in a good area is around 1000-12000$/month plus bills (water, electricity- expensive), cable(40$ monthly, basic package), Internet 48$/month 1meg download  WivCable. 1case of beer in IGA supermarket I've seen on offer 48$ min Stella, 45$ own Turks HEad beer, usually goes around 60-70$ per case of beer.Petrol 5.60-5.70$ gallon, car insurance depends on car(jeep comprehensive insurance in my case 550$/year).

My case: 3 bedroom on marina 1700$/month, 80$ month water, between 125$ min too 324 $ max I paid for electricity without using air on more than 4-5 h/day in hot months, grocery 2person 180$ per week average but my wife loves cooking and I eat rarely home.
I fill up the tank petrol 88$ every 18days average.

Hope it helps