How to make friends in the Queensland

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals or expatriates) when you're living in the Queensland :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in the Queensland??

Thanks in advance for your participation

I think the golden rule to making friends is never say no to any invitation. I've been living here in Queensland since November 2007 and I already have a group of five blokes to go to the pub with. My wife already has several friends to go out with and my daughter, now aged five, probably has more friends than the pair of us.

By never saying no to an invite, you are putting yourself out there. A couple of examples: I was paying for some stuff in a shop when a woman recognized my accent and asked if I came from England. I was with my daughter at the time and she told me she had a son the same age and invited my wife to call her so they can go out. She gave me her phone number and my wife called. Now they are friends. It wasn't easy for my wife to just call a stranger like that, but she did it.

Another invite came from a carpenter who was doing some work round our house. He knew we were new in town and said if you give me your phone number, I'll get my wife to ring your wife and they can go out. So I did and she did and they are now friends.

All of our friendships have started with similar kinds of invites, and even if you're not keen on the person who invites you, still go along. They will introduce you to other people.

It worked for us. Just promise yourself that for the first 12 months you will never say no to an invite.

Cheers

Bob

Here are 10 tips....hope they help someone

1. Decide that you want to make friends
2. Keep an open mind to cultural differences and learning
3. Search your local newspapers for activities that interest you
4. Learn the language or lingo
5. If you are not working get a volunteer job
6. Search the internet for similar minded groups
7. Find expat groups in the local papers or on the internet
8. Remember that others want friends to so you are not alone
9.Join a sports club
10. If you have children get involved in school activities

Kama

i wanna new friends here im from egypt ;)

I am an Aussi from Brisbane but my partner of 6 years and her daughter arrive here in 2 weeks time. I am trying to find some Filipinos who may have children around the 11 year old mark that my partners daughter can have some contact with. My step daughter, Gerlyn, is a really wonderful young lady and i want her to be happy. My partner, Rosie, is also a lovely person and she is 39 years old. They are from Surigao del Sur in Northern Mindanao and i have been living with them, in their home town,for the last 6 years.
   I hope that there may be someone who may be able to assist us here. We will not intrude on anyones life. We are just keen to find some potential friends for a beautiful young girl who will become lonely.
                      Thanking you,
                          Fraser