Massage jobs in Indonesia

I'm interested in doing massage work somewhere in Indonesia in a resort, hotel or spa and am wondering what kind of qualifications are required and how difficult it is to get a part-time job doing this? Any ideas or suggestions are helpful. Thanks!

Far too many Massage parlours, spas, clinic everywhere so finding work in this field is not going to be very easy and the rate of pay is exceptionally low that some less than reputable places rely on extra services to help incomes.
Asian countries are full of massage services and unless you offer something completely different then it wont be easy. Also it is illegal to work here without visas and part time work just does not happen legally for western people and you will be very hard pushed to find a resort or hotel who will sponsor you.

parisdaisygirl wrote:

I'm interested in doing massage work somewhere in Indonesia in a resort, hotel or spa and am wondering what kind of qualifications are required and how difficult it is to get a part-time job doing this? Any ideas or suggestions are helpful. Thanks!

No chance at all so forget it.
Indonesian law requires you to have a skill locals don't have.

lots of spa, clinic etc for massage but i dont think they will hire foreigners as therapist, beside the salary basic not high , perhaps u could open massage/spa place that might help

The law never reflects reality especially in Indonesia.
The negativity of mas fred does not help anyone.

Maximize what you have to offer more than a local, being a western and offer better quality will guarantee you success.

Learn Bahasa Indonesia.

But Mas Fred is absolutely correct. Part Time work in the Massage Industry which employs thousands earning nothing a week is not in the Ministry of Manpower's exempt work listings for expats.
Its not about being negative its about clearly stating the facts.

Your concept of reality is your personal interpretation based on your experiences.

I can prove that I know Westerners who earn 10k/month teaching yoga and doing REAL massage in spas and luxury resorts.
Part-time.

How do you explain that?

Reality in Indonesia is out the door, not in front of a computer.
Public relations are essential.

yes, there are somany local therapist , in here also the basic salary except tips ya.
but if u wanna work in this industry the better way that u could find someone for patnership to open it

luxury resort mostly in tourism place, the owner of some yoga places in jakarta some mix between indonesian and foreign, sometime the owner be the teacher, have to find the area

Manuel, with all due respect you are wrong and Pak Fred, Luke and Ochie are 100% correct.

“I can prove that I know Westerners who earn 10k/month teaching yoga and doing REAL massage in spas and luxury resorts. Part-time.”

That is just not possible, nor would it be legal UNLESS that westerner was a part owner/partner of the spa. 

If you want to get together here in Bali sometime I'll take you to both the immigration and manpower offices in Bali so you can hear the facts “from the horse's mouth” as the old saying goes.

You say,

"The law never reflects reality especially in Indonesia."

Until you are behind bars amigo awaiting your deportation and some money from back home.

This is true.
Work illegally and you have the chance of seeing the wrong end of prison bars.
Of course, there are bribes and friends who may well look the other way but that's hardly likely to be an option for a new arrival, working in an overcrowded industry that is a common front for prostitution.
There's zero point advising someone to attempt it.

Go on, I'll repeat myself.
To work legally in Indonesia, you must have a skill that can't be provided by a local, have a valid KITAS sponsored by your employer and a work permit at a cost of US$1,200.
I'd take a guess that's better than six month's salary for most 'therapists' so who the hell would employ a foreigner, even if they could bribe enough people to get you the paperwork?

Not realistic.

I suppose the OP could partner up with a local and start a business but that's hardly likely to work out and would cost quite a lot for a new arrival who knows nothing of local ways in Indonesia.

http://wagefreedom.com/bali-expat/

one-hour massages priced from US$5.

Does that about put it to bed?

Manu84 wrote:

The law never reflects reality especially in Indonesia.
The negativity of mas fred does not help anyone.

It could save her the air fare and a few years in gaol or forced into something less than reasonable because she ran out of money and had no way to get home or even buy food.
That may be a bonus.

Without intentionally inferring or implying that Manu is doing anything illegal, there are some scam artists operating on Bali who promise jobs for foreigners looking to live and work in Indonesia, and in particular, Bali.

It's a pretty simple scam to operate, requiring only a computer, time and patience.  It's also an incredibly low overhead scam to operate. 

Operators of this scam troll various forums looking for marks.  A mark can be anyone who expresses a keen desire to move to Bali and a desperate need for a job.  There are plenty of these potential marks out there, as anyone who spends some time on various forums is well aware. 

These same operators will frequently offer their expertise and vast knowledge which is of great value on all sorts of issues including real estate, banking, establishing a business as well as employment. 

Very often these operators will avoid doing any “consulting” work for anyone already based on Bali, as this ensures the operator's complete anonymity.  If a mark actually does show up on Bali, the operator most often will use the “being too busy with other clients in town” excuse to avoid getting together.   In some cases that I've reviewed with the cyber crime division of Polda, the operator in fact wasn't even physically located on Bali but did have enough basic knowledge of Bali and its environs to be convincing that they were actually based here.       

When these operators maintain a web site, it's usually a very basic one with little if any details about their “consulting” operations, and it will never include a real office address, once again ensuring the operator's complete anonymity as well as making prosecution nearly impossible.   

Once after establishing some contact and discussion with their marks, these operators will slowly inject the need for some payment of funds to cover some “expenses” for all the research and running around they are doing on behalf of their mark.  That “research” typically amounts to nothing more than cut and pasted material gleaned from other web sites.  When payment is agreed, it will often be through an offshore PayPal account. 

Again, I am not accusing Manu of this sort of operation, but there are a number of elements in his various posts as well as the web site he lists in his profile that isn't what I would expect to see from a professional and licensed consulting business on Bali (of which there are many). 

These elements include his web site, often vague and unspecific language, and the promise of way over inflated earnings:

“I can prove that I know Westerners who earn 10k/month teaching yoga and doing REAL massage in spas and luxury resorts.”

Just a word to the wise for would be new Bali based expats…keep your eyes and ears open, and don't let the magical appeal of Bali overtake your common sense.

Wow! It seems I will end up homeless, in prison, as a prostitute without food or money if I try to work in Bali! Excellent! Thanks for all the feedback. I've been to Bali before and fell in love with the culture like many people. Luckily I don't have to work when I'm there but I would like to if possible. I'm actually a licensed psychotherapist in the US but wanting to get some massage experience at a spa as I really like the work and I also do energy healing as well. Again, thanks for the feedback and the lively discussion!

No worries daisy girl, we'll keep you out of trouble. :D

If you fly to Thailand you can take courses in Traditional Thai massage and learn their techniques which will help you find useful in the future.
Chiang Mai in the north is the place I would recommend to learn and while you are their sign up for a cookery course. Lots of fun

Hi,  I think you can do this work in (sharm)  Egypt too  if you like   contact me on skype  sal.heezo2
or  [email protected]

^
Nice hotel.
If I'm ever on  king Abdulaziz street, I'll drop in.

hello there ...mademoiselle

may I ask , in which city or region do you want to work ?
is it jakarta, Bali or yogya ?

Because I only know jakarta area

If you work as a massager in Holland...you will earn a lot of money,In indonesia the local itself good in massage and not too expensive. I went for massage every once a month and spent Euro 50/hour,so totally paid euro 100 here.why you not try to come to holland ask for working visa etc.