Salary package for a Chartered Accountant

I got an offer for $4,000 plus accommodation from an IT company in Nairobi. I am a Chartered Accountant with 4 years of experience.

Company will not provide any other benefits. Could you please let me know whether this offer looks good or not?

I think I need to pay 30% ($1,200) towards income tax. Is it so ? Please confirm

What about the visa & other immigration charges to move my family from India to Nairobi?

Hello anilgrandhi and welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that you'll be enlightened soon.;)

Harmonie.

I also interesting to know what is current package for chartered accountant. If any body have idea then Please Suggest.

Go ahead with the offer, Minimum salary you have to show here locally is $2k for expat payroll and 30% wud be around $600 and $2k you ask them to remit in your NRE account in India.

by the way asked a friend at KRA AND immigration about this apparently this is illegal and they are actually working on a bill that will see that people on a visitor visa cannot work. It is a shame that people come to Kenya to work then declare a lower salary to pay less tax then complain about the country and yet you are perpetuating the corruption that is taking Kenya backwards. I really hope that KRA working immigration catch on this quickly and Kenyans working in such companies declare such activities. it is a mammoth task but not impossible. I have love for this country and welcome investors but lets it honest if you want to work here in the very least pay your taxes.

Hi congrats on the offer.  There is a huge number of local chartered accoutants in Kenya. Following our salary survey, we found that a local CA staff with 4 years experience would earn on average USD 1500 p.m basic cash or even less depending on the size of the company......

I agree with Njeri, there are ways to avoid taxes as an expat but be careful! Given housing is a huge cost in Kenya this is a huge benefit.  With your salary, you'd probably be looking for a house to rent at usd 700 p.m (i.e. a quater of your net salary)....impossible to get a family house in a good safe location at this price! Its unfortunate you doint have medical cover for your family....medical costs at private hospitals in Kenya are high.....that can be deal breaker. However, you can obtain a good medical scheme for approx USD 3,000 p.a covering you and 5 dependants.

Good luck with your new job!

I am a chartered accountant with >15 years of experience living in Kenya.  In my view, the offer is good though you should also consider COLA here in Kenya, apart from rent medical and other costs are very high in this country. If you have kids, you should also research schooling costs - they are astronomical.