Wireless internet

Guys I am thinking of buying the following:

http://www.mobily.com.sa/portalu/wps/po … rtlet=true

I will probably go for 1mbps or may be 2mbps package with USB.

Looks like it is unlimited although it doesn't say but I hope so.

Do you know about any other telecom company providing wireless internet here?

Consider STC and Atheeb (aka GO) as well:

http://go.com.sa -- Comparatively cheap but service sucks
http://stc.com.sa

Zain as well.

Go.com.sa website won't open

STC looks expensive than mobily but it offers more speed. Their unlimited package costs 350SR with theoretical speed up to 7.2mbps.
http://www.stc.com.sa/wps/wcm/connect/e … es/Express

Zain is even more expensive than STC. They are offering unlimited 4G for 499SR. This is what I am looking at. Are there any other unlimited packages?
https://www.sa.zain.com/autoforms/porta … ons/4gmifi

My personal choice is Mobily, try it for a month or so and then decide for the long run !!

Will Mobily remain open after 8pm? Do they open on Thursdays?

aliweb wrote:

Will Mobily remain open after 8pm? Do they open on Thursdays?

Yes, They are open till 10PM all days and on Thursdays too....

The package you are going to buy has a Fair usage Policy. Which means that if you download torrents or similar than your speed will be reduced and later on may be discontinued!

You guys are just ranting and raving about something unuseful. You just have an STC modem that has certain speed(mainly 4mg for 150SAR a month) which is opend and has no limit. Fair enough!!1

saimans wrote:

My personal choice is Mobily, try it for a month or so and then decide for the long run !!

For me, I'm a STC geek since many years. People say that their technical support sucks. I didn't have to give them a single call during the last 5 yrs. Technical probs don't exist in this govt owned service (in my experience) plus no coverage issues.

Recently, I got a subscription for one year of unlimited pack with speed 7.2MB. Costs me 150/month. Sorry @aliweb, offer expired 2 weeks back :(

TheLegendLeads wrote:
saimans wrote:

For me, I'm a STC geek since many years. People say that their technical support sucks. I didn't have to give them a single call during the last 5 yrs. Technical probs don't exist in this govt owned service (in my experience) plus no coverage issues.

Recently, I got a subscription for one year of unlimited pack with speed 7.2MB. Costs me 150/month. Sorry @aliweb, offer expired 2 weeks back :(

Ok, is there any fair usage policy or usage cap on it per month? Can you please tell us that whether you downloaded torrents?

roa_douglass wrote:

You guys are just ranting and raving about something unuseful. You just have an STC modem that has certain speed(mainly 4mg for 150SAR a month) which is opend and has no limit. Fair enough!!1

Does it require to have a phone line? If not then it sounds very good.

TheLegendLeads wrote:
saimans wrote:

Shit man!
7.2mbps for 150/month. It's a steal!

Oops...Have a look at this:
http://www.stc.com.sa/wps/wcm/connect/e … mited-quic

No , it does not require a phone line. The line comes with the modem. You only call 907 from any STC mobile phone... Or you just browse the STC website and have a look... I have been using this modem for almost 3 years , and faced no probs at all. Try it ...

Myelin wrote:
TheLegendLeads wrote:
saimans wrote:

Ok, is there any fair usage policy or usage cap on it per month? Can you please tell us that whether you downloaded torrents?

I know it's in their policy but I guess they are not hard about that.

I do a lot of torrenting, free-leeching, seeding etc apart from youtubing. Didn't feel any cut-down on speed or total bandwidth (yet). ;)

What country is that Drifters ? :D

roa_douglass wrote:

No , it does not require a phone line. The line comes with the modem. You only call 907 from any STC mobile phone... Or you just browse the STC website and have a look... I have been using this modem for almost 3 years , and faced no probs at all. Try it ...

Just wanted to ask one thing. Can I take this device elsewhere? Let's say I wanted to move residence later on so can this be installed at new location easily?
Is it DSL or Wireless?

aliweb wrote:
roa_douglass wrote:

Just wanted to ask one thing. Can I take this device elsewhere? Let's say I wanted to move residence later on so can this be installed at new location easily?
Is it DSL or Wireless?

Yes it will work anywhere.

@Aliweb,

Yes, it will work. When you change your domicile , all you have to do is to call the STC customer service centre, inform them that you will be moving and you need to have your ADSL moved with you .. You have another option, you cancel your current internet subscription and then you ask them for a new one in your new area. Easy, it takes 3 working days to have it successfully installed.However, I prefer the first option...

Hope that helped a bit.

Does the USB internet from Mobily works in all major cities in KSA without an extra charges?

aliweb wrote:

Does the USB internet from Mobily works in all major cities in KSA without an extra charges?

Yes. Cities differentiation doesn't exist.

TheLegendLeads wrote:
aliweb wrote:

And at no extra cost?
So if I buy USB in Riyadh I can use anywhere in KSA without paying extra?

Of course no additional cost.

aliweb wrote:
TheLegendLeads wrote:
aliweb wrote:

And at no extra cost?
So if I buy USB in Riyadh I can use anywhere in KSA without paying extra?

Yes, you can use it anywhere in KSA !! Magic..... :)

Try to ask someone near you about the real coverage, there's no specific provider which is the best everywhere, it will differ according yo your area

It does suck that Mobiliy's 3 + 3 free months offer just ran out two weeks ago......