Living in Cambodia and possibility to get a Retirement Visa there

Hi,

I am looking for the possibility to get a Retirement Visa for Cambodia. What are the requirements. I have a Retirement Visa in Thailand , lived here since 2002, married for 23 years to a Thai national and I am on the run for safety as I am threatened by my wife.( Normal).
How is life in Cambodia , cost of living and renting housing (apartment).
Would be glad for any information,
thanks.
Regards,
Peter

Hi Peter,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I hope you will receive replies to your queries very soon.

I wish you good luck
Christine

Dont know about a retirement visa but you can easily get a 1 year renewable visa (business) that costs $290 US without problems. Rent and cost of living generally lower than Thai. I live in Phnom Penh and life is good...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5099/5530899511_d781d51549_z.jpg

There is a lot of poverty and deprivation but generally the people are friendly and hardworking. I have been here for 2 years and have no immediate plans to return to UK..

Thank you very much for your reply. I have so many questions regarding apartments, importing personal belongings and a car from Thailand etc. Is there any forum in Cambodia which can answer all these detailed questions ?
Best regards,
Peter

None that I am aware of..:(

schauerte
Ah, nothing worse than a Thai womans scorn lol. I been there.
I am moving to Cambodia in a few months and where I am going Siem Reap is not poor. They have tons of 5 star hotels and gourmet resturants. A little rough compaired to where I live now in the New York tri-state area. But, isn't everywhere compaired to NYC?
Yes, quite a bit cheaper to live in Cambodia as long as you don't have to take care of your girlfriends whole family. Its a wonderful place that just keeps getting better all the time. Go for it.
Find an expat and ask them all the questions otherwise hire a lawyer to help you through the process legally.
Don't screw up your visa. My friend overstayed his visa in Thailand and got thrown in jail and deported. Never to return again...

Hi Peter,
You don't need any retirement visa, just come over pay 25 USD for a Business Visa and then go to Lucky Lucky Motorcycle or other company that handles Visa's..like the other poster said about 290 a year for a multiple entry visa. I've been here over 4 years and have never seen the inside of an immigration office. It's great! A good forum  for info on car importing, apartments etc. is Khmer440.com It is easy to find an apartment just depends on your budget. Importing can be a hassle and expensive, unless you really have an attachment to your things you can get everything just about that you want here.

That is one thing that worries me. I have to ship my possessions to Cambodia in a year or two once I get settled. I hear that there is a substantial charge on imported goods and Cambodia is just a corrupt as South America. What can I do to save money and not have to 'grease' the customs officer when my container arrives?

I will have to shell the $290.00 a year fee because I plan to travel a lot to Thailand, Indonesia, Japan and India. If I stay too long in Cambodia I will get bored and might as well stay in New Jersey.

BTW: My electronic equipment you cannot buy in Cambodia. Way too expensive for them.

Hi everyone,

I am also considering moving to Cambodia. I'm just at the initial stages of research and I am having trouble finding information on how easy it is to keep renewing the 1 year business visa. I do not want to invest in moving somewhere if there is a high risk of getting kicked out after a year or two!

Sorry to butt in on the thread, but there seem to be a few mentions here of people who have been able to continually renew the 12 month business visa without a problem. If anyone has any more info on this it would be much appreciated. Has anyone ever had any issues with renewing the business visa in the second, third, fourth etc year... or heard of anyone who had their extension refused?

Many thanks!

Elizabeth

don't worry . one year business visa around $350.00. If you got the money you got the honey...

Hi Elizabeth, this month I renewed my multiple entry Business Visa for the 5th time, cost 278.00 USD I absolutely have never had any problems whatsoever. Drop off Visa and pick up in two days, I have always used Lucky Moto at #413 Monivong, Tel. 010 998 099. They can also get your Cambodian drivers license taken care of also. Deb

Is the expat required to have a certain amount of money in the Bank to obtain a 1 year Business Visa?

Or do you just pay the cost of the Visa only? and  are there no additional regulations like Thailand imposes on expats?

I know for Thai, you need to be over 50 years of age and prove that you have 800,000$ USD in the bank or something for a retirement Visa ..I'm actually not sure if that was USD or Baht but i think USD, as I have discussed this with people I met who retired there from Switzerland.

As for Cambodia Retirement Visa that is a good question.. I will look into that because I'm curious myself.  I myself have a Cambodian Visa but.. since I was born here.. it says 'permanent stay' and doesn't expire, oddly my sister's kids were able to get the same Visa.. but they were born in Canada? so I reaaaaally don't know how it works, But I'm betting there's probably a way somehow, unless there isn't any sort of precedence for such a visa yet.

As for getting things from Thai to Cambodia.  I personally don't have any issues bringing stuff via Araya -> Poipet .. just hire a guy to carry things over for you.. it's about 3-400 baht and he'll carry a huge load over for you no problem (buy anything, personal luggage, stuff from Thai distribution etc) no problems, but wouldn't recommend trying to ship over anything like a Buddhist artifact or something of the sort.

as for a vehicle that might be an issue.. I've never tried that, but I'm pretty sure there is a customs company of some sort that will fix you up if needed.

No way $800,000 in a Thai bank for retirement visa. That means that you essentially have to be a millionaire to retire in Thailand. It's 800,000 Baht, approx. $27,000.

Even if you get a retirement visa in Siam you must renew once a year.

To avoid legal garbage, just hire a lawyer like Siam Legal in Bangkok. Not too expensive.

I know they have some freaky laws like in Cambodia a western man 50 years or older cannot marry a Khmer woman. Ha Ha Ha.
So I have 3 'virtual' wives.

Just get a lawyer and they will take care of everything.

If you can't afford a lawyer you shouldn't be over there anyway.

Can they arrange my age to be 49 again?:lol:

49 again?

Of course. One week in Cambodia and you'll feel like your in your twenties!

Everyone is young in Cambodia!
:cool:

JPVIDEO wrote:

No way $800,000 in a Thai bank for retirement visa. That means that you essentially have to be a millionaire to retire in Thailand. It's 800,000 Baht, approx. $27,000.

Even if you get a retirement visa in Siam you must renew once a year.

To avoid legal garbage, just hire a lawyer like Siam Legal in Bangkok. Not too expensive.

I know they have some freaky laws like in Cambodia a western man 50 years or older cannot marry a Khmer woman. Ha Ha Ha.
So I have 3 'virtual' wives.

Just get a lawyer and they will take care of everything.

If you can't afford a lawyer you shouldn't be over there anyway.

from what I know and from personal experience, Thailand is not cheap.  I'm pretty sure it's 800,000 USD (yes essentially a millionaire - which Thailand is not short of) but the concept being that the people retiring are able to sustain themselves until their death bed and I don't think 27k will cut that.

I'm still inquiring about the retirement visa possibility in Cambodia.  But yes in Thailand a 50 year old can marry a much younger girl, but Cambodia it is frowned upon mostly due to previous illegal child sex issues of the past.. point being big, push towards stopping such issues here by the government.

but in either case there is still some sort of corruption going on.

Anywhere you go you got to have a little money. Unless, you want to live in the jungle in a hut eating monkey meat and rice everyday.

You must have some sort of sustainable income even in Cambodia. Food is not free. And what if you get sick or have an accident? They may not take care of you.

I believe the reason for the Thai stipen of $27,000 is to show them you are not a bum. They have enough of them on the street.

That $27,000 in Cambodia could potentially last you 2 years if your frugal. But, why move to Cambodia to save money? You move to Cambodia to have a nice life and have fun.

My friend in Cambodia tells me that he see's forieners come and go. They come to teach with all good intentions. Make little money and live in a little one room flat until they get laid off 6 months later and have to go back home.

Paradise lost...

Let's enlarge upon the One year Business Visa please.
Are their any conditions to it other than to pay the annual fee?
Does one have to hold a minimum value of money in a local Bank?
Do you have to report your address"?
Do you have to do do Visa runs as in Thailand?
Are Bank Interest rates similar to Thailand and do any Thai Bank's have branches in the Cities?
The 90 day reporting and Visa runs in Thailand whilst they are a pure nuisance also increase the living costs so it would be nice to clarify exactly what is required.

Hi VanYoeun, My husband had a Retirement Visa in Thailand.... the rules are 800,000 bhat in the bank held 3 month prior to applying for the Visa...Then.... every year after that you must prove that you have the 800,000 bhat sitting in the bank 3 months prior to your new application. You can use the money during the year for living expenses but must top up to the 800,000 baht every year.

marbeaux to answer your questions:
* There are no conditions other to pay the annual fee.
* You do not need to hold a minimum amount of money in a local    bank. (If you do eventually register a business there is a money deposit requirement).
*In the five years I've been here I was asked by a landlord to fill out a form with Passport information for the local police...but that was only one landlord in the 3 I've had. Most people I have talked to have never been asked.
*You do not have to do Visa runs like in Thailand, your One year business visa is a Multiple entry visa with no charges like Thailand for leaving and re-entering the country. 
* Not sure on all the interest rate offers right now... they are listed in the Phnom Penh post occasionally, but not in today's edition. There is a local branch of the KRUNG THAI BANK PUBLIC CO. listed. Here is a link to the Banks in Cambodia, you can contact them directly. 
Best regards! D

Many thanks for your detailed answer:cool:

Regarding when to get that business Visa: Of course I want to "scope" out Cambodia first.  May I enter on a 30 day visa first and then go for the business visa or is it best to get the business visa from the onset?

And thank you all who have so generously taken your time to post and respond!

Totally agree with JPVIDEO!!!!! move to Cambodia to have fun!!! Stay young and live like KINGS!!!

The last time I looked (last week) the interest rate paid at Union Commercial Bank for 12 month CD's waas 6.5%, with a minimum deposit of $1000. You will also pay 6% tax on the interest, about $20 on $1000 invested. I don't know what sort of FDIC they may have here, so there may be some risk involved, but I think that would be negligible.

Hi Folks.   I have been reading the above information on visas.  Can anyone tell me about retiring in Cambodia?   I have read above that I can obtain a one year business visa, without supporting doucments.   Just pay the fee at the airport.   Is this preferable to a retirement visa?   I have also read above that a tourist visa can be extended to 6 months.  How many times can this be done?  What I have read so far seems conflicting and incomplete.  I have looked on the Cambodia gov. web site and they say a tourist visa is good for only 30 days.   They also say a business visa needs employer documentation, and other credentials.   Also, a commercial visa company (visahq) gives different requirements and limitations.

Help... I need some complete and difinitive information on how I can arrive at Siem Reap airport and arrange some sort of visa so I can retire there.   A 30 day tourist visa just won't do it.

Any clarification will be extremely appreciated.

Thanks to all who reply.

Stafford

Please let me know the prescribed procedure for obtaining Retirement Visa

Folks, I am 63, and also interested in retiring in Asia I currently live and work in Jakarta, and I've done a little reserach on retiring. The big thing to understand is you are not allowed to work under a Retirement Visa, if caught you will be thrown out of your host country. The general conditions that currently exist in Asian countires for retiring are:

Philippines
• 50 Years Old & Above:
• Invest in a bank without Pension, US$20,000.00, with Pension - US$10,000.00
• Show proof of monthly pension remitted to the Philippines (US$800.00 for single applicant and US$1,000.00 for married couples)

Indonesia
• Applicant 55 years of age or older,
• Statement from Pension Fund Foundation or Bank from the country of origin (or Indonesia) of funds available, minimum of US$1,500 per month, to provide the applicant living expenses during the proposed stay in Indonesia (Total US$18,000 per year)
• Proof of medical/health Insurance, life insurance, and third-party personal liability insurance
• Statement of living accommodation in Indonesia. Minimum cost of US$35,000 if purchased house/apartment or, a minimum rental cost of US$500/month in Jakarta, Bandung, and Bali; US$300/month for other cities in Java Island, Batam, and Medan, and other cities a minimum US$ 200/month.) in the tourist areas according to the regulations,
• Statement to declare you will employ an Indonesian maid servant whilst living in Indonesia,

Thailand
Financial Requirements are as follows:
• Must be 50 years or older
• Bank Account showing THB 800,000
• Monthly income of at least THB 65,000 (retirement, SS etc)
• Combination (Bank Account + Income x 12 = THB 800,000)

One of these issues is the Retirement Visa. The financial requirement is putting in place over $ 26,000 U.S. in a Thai bank untouched for 3 months or having a pension in excess of $26,000 U.S. a year or a combination of the two amounting to $ 26,000 U.S.

Cambodia
Unfortunately, Cambodia does not currently offer a retirement visa for foreigners looking to live in the country long term. Cambodia's economic emergence is fairly recent and the country's immigration and visa system hasn't quite caught up with the nation's growing demand for foreign nationals and capital.

Business visas, which allow for a one-year star upon being issued, are widely available and easy to apply for, allowing foreigners with potential business interests in Cambodia to enjoy their time in the country without being concerned about visa obligations.

VietnamV
Currently offers no retirement visa scheme, and retirees living in Vietnam are required to make use of either long-term tourist visas, which are available for a maximum of three months at a time, or five-year long-term visas, which need to be ‘checked up' and renewed at immigration offices every three months.

Three month tourist visas can be acquired from Vietnamese embassies abroad, and are issued to all those that have the minimum funds available to travel in Vietnam – a figure that's typically around $1,000USD per month spent in the country. While a three-month visa isn't exactly long term, it's an option that many retirees have been using for several years – reapplying and re-entering as their visas expire.

Non-Vietnamese who are married to a Vietnamese citizen may apply for a long-term visa to reside in Vietnam legally.

Grant50

I went to Cambodia.  I did not like it.  You should be prepared to not like it, as well.  My strong advice is to go there and see it for yourself (and not just for a week) before making any decisions that have consequences...

Be very careful of the water.  Take some pepto to make due until you can get some of the local powders, which seem to beat the symptoms but not that weak, sick feeling.

The streets are crowded in Pnam Pen; the air thick, with vehicle exhaust (the local folk often wear cloth over their nose/mouth).  The prostitutes are everywhere and so, no doubt, is HIV.  Want to participate in a study of the quality/durability of foreign-made condoms?  rofl!

There is no inspection of foods and/or restaurants. 

The police are said to demand payment for their aid and, from what I saw, are not at all likely to interfere in violent situations...  The locals are not violent but other foreigners might well be.

Go there.  Stay a month (12 days were my limit).  Then decide.  Don't be caught up in some dream.  Somebody needs to point out the downside.  I wish someone had before I went.  I would now be $2,000 richer :(

Korean air offers a ticket good for a year and free to change the return date (once).  A word to the wise...

How can you love a place when you don't even care about how to write down its name?  Phnom Penh,  as all big cities, has good and bad sides.
Let's just say that you didn't find what you were looking for.
But you are true on one thing.  You can like the place or not.  The best advice ever is to come for a month holidays first and see buy yourself. 12 days is certainly enough to know Phnom Penh. ..but not all treasures of Cambodia.
About the water, as i did when i went to Newyork,  i am drinking mineral water.  You can find some almost every 10 meters in Phnom Penh.

TheDigitalMage wrote:

I went to Cambodia.  I did not like it.  You should be prepared to not like it, as well.  My strong advice is to go there and see it for yourself (and not just for a week) before making any decisions that have consequences...

Be very careful of the water.  Take some pepto to make due until you can get some of the local powders, which seem to beat the symptoms but not that weak, sick feeling.

The streets are crowded in Pnam Pen; the air thick, with vehicle exhaust (the local folk often wear cloth over their nose/mouth).  The prostitutes are everywhere and so, no doubt, is HIV.  Want to participate in a study of the quality/durability of foreign-made condoms?  rofl!

There is no inspection of foods and/or restaurants. 

The police are said to demand payment for their aid and, from what I saw, are not at all likely to interfere in violent situations...  The locals are not violent but other foreigners might well be.

Go there.  Stay a month (12 days were my limit).  Then decide.  Don't be caught up in some dream.  Somebody needs to point out the downside.  I wish someone had before I went.  I would now be $2,000 richer :(

Korean air offers a ticket good for a year and free to change the return date (once).  A word to the wise...

I think you are being a little harsh, but you have the right to have your opinion of course.

1. The streets can have a lot of traffic at peak hours as with every city in the world, and the air is not thick, this country does not have a problem with car fumes as it is only a city of about 2 million, it is not Bangkok or Mumbai. Yes some locals wear face masks, but they are over reacting and don't need them.

2. There are not prostitutes everywhere, and this is South East Asia after all so what do you expect, you cannot expect nuns walking the streets, on the other hand it is not Pattaya either and you will not find working girls all around, in fact 30% of the girls in the bars are virgins and 30% are too fussy to sleep with everyone, the freelance girls are mostly on Street 51 and not all over the city.
As for HIV, yes of course there is some HIV here, same in Thailand and Laos and every other country.

3. This is not a developed country, food is as it is. There are western places to eat.

And why you say the foreigners may be violent I don't know, your write up is very negative and you base your information on quick glances.

We are way off topic aren't we ? :whistle:

Yes we are.   This is why i continued this conversation in PM
:lol:
Sorry for that!

Just to add a bit more detail to Grant50 post...

I have two retirement visas,  Thailand and Philippines. ...

with regards Philippines retirement

you can get a retirement visa as young as 35years old,  just have to deposit 50kUSD in a Philippine bank that participates in the sceme...
Also, ironically as a retiree you are entitled to work in the Philippines and you will be given assistance to process your work permit...

Grant50 is correct a 50 year old only needs to deposit 20kUSD, which can be converted to an
investment such as a condo...
The other things to note about this visa is you are required to pass a medical, includes, xray, blood test, urine and stool. ..oh and the application fee which costs close to 2kUSD there is also a yearly fee of 365USD...

Thai visa...
I have taken the 800kBaht route,  which means I have to 800kBaht in a Thai bank account for 3 months before renewal. ..i didn't do the monthly income option..

The yearly fees are about 2kBaht retirement visa + 3.5kBaht multi entry visa...if you intend going in and out of Thailand a few times a year its worth getting the multi entry...

90 day reporting at immigratiom

Grant50 is correct 50year old and strictly no work with this visa..

The Cambodian visa sounds easy to obtain and very reasonably priced, who cares if its called a business visa...

Hi all

looking for a quite beach area around the Sihanoukville area to retire to and enjoy early retirement
  peter

regarding business visa its now called ordinary visa .... PLEASE Note !   I recently paid the 25 us for ordinary visa ( business visa ) and received a 20 us tourist visa . so you may want to be ablet to tell the difference ! I didnt ! The visa # has a letter at the beginning    ..if it  is T , you have a tourist visa , good for 30 days , and renewable once ...

The 800 USD in Thailand are monthly.

jack_gats wrote:

The 800 USD in Thailand are monthly.

Are you sure of this amount. Seems very very high to me.

to say siem reap is not poor shows ignorance. siem reap is one of the poorest provinces in cambodia.  take a day out of your high flying five star lifestyle and look around you. OMG how ignorant

peter you need to get a normal visa yes that's what its called not a tourist visa can get them on landing at phnom penh airport  normal visa $25 per month $290 per year just up date them every 12 months at any travel shop in phnom penh I have been here from Australia for 3 years my friend has been here 8 years you just have to up date every 12 months to live here full time  no such this as a retirement visa just a normal visa that's all you need no such thing as retirement in Cambodia im living on the retirement fund from the Australian government you have to be 65 to get it is $1600 per month from Australia I don't know what country you are from