Be warned - New law for expat drivers

Apparently a new law was passed 2 days ago banning expats from driving a car with Libyan plates (ie , no blue number).
I know of 2 people who had their cars taken from them yesterday , Thurs 18th, (1 by the police station near Regatta)and they had to walk home.
So remove everything that you don't want to have to carry home and pack a torch :)

I await with baited breath the next bit of legislation from the dept. of fun.

Up at the sirport, the beggars in uniforms have got a hard-on about blue plate cars having a company sticker (including the phone number) slapped on the doors. Accompanied by the usual request for dash. :mad:

Sandman6 wrote:

Up at the sirport, the beggars in uniforms have got a hard-on about blue plate cars having a company sticker (including the phone number) slapped on the doors. Accompanied by the usual request for dash. :mad:

I had that the last time I dropped someone off, the only words the 'officer' knew were "50" then "30". He said something about company name and the side of the car, I said he was talking b@llocks and after a 15 min stand off he realised he was losing money from other drivers going past and let me go.
But this seems to be a new "law" they're enforcing. Good luck to them, they can have my car. I've got my passport back with a shiny new multiple entry/exit visa in and would be happy to use it :)

this covers locals as well .. Normally they ask us to give them phone credits.. Its annoying.

Last time at the airport I got pulled over 3 times in about half an hour........

I find the best option is to let them give me a ticket. Once they give you a ticket the others can't do much about it since the license is already with the police.

Later I send one of the office people to get the license released.

It seems to be working so far.

You mean you pay these beggars? In my opinion accepting a ticket is as bad as giving these fcukers cash!

Sandman6 wrote:

You mean you pay these beggars? In my opinion accepting a ticket is as bad as giving these fcukers cash!

because you are rich here and your income by dollar and euros must give to poor people taxes :lol::lol:

I've also just learned today that the monkeys have been taught a new trick - wait until the expat gets out of the car, then they snatch the keys. Which means that if you keep the house keys on the same bunch, big wahalla...

Is Libya the recognized international driving permit?

Husband just called with news that no expats are allowed to drive....

He had no clarification so I don't know if it's an iteration of the aforementioned law or his company's interpretation of best policy in light of this law. I'll find out when he eventually gets home; am assuming he'll have a driver since we have no other transportation other than his car (I have a driver for daughter's school etc).  Now we get to wait this new nonsense out.  Where the heck is this coming from?

Am guessing it doesn't apply to blue plates? but the blue plates make it easier to target expats. 

It's always something. Have lived in about 7 countries other than my own, including occupation-torn Palestine and this place truly is a nut case. I think I'd rather live in Gaza than here.  Really.

I am constantly amazed that there is no logic to anything.  I used to think that most Americans were pretty xenophobic, but this place is giving me a whole new perspective.

On another note: Our shower nearly fell apart this weekend.  Diagnosing the problem, we discovered that it had been assembled without one single screw/nut/bolt (even though there were holes for fasteners and each hole ws covered with a cosmetic cover).  Only friction has been holding it together the three months since we moved in the house.  Luckily we found it, diagnosed it, and husband pulled out his pop rivit gun and we fixed it.  Took about an hour, start, repair, finish and clean up.  (I love a man with good tools!!! :)  )

I agree with Mudman, lipstick indeed.

Seems to be something put into place by your husband's employer - our lot are still free to join the madness. However, the HSE lot have been on a documents inspection exercise today and updated anyone's docs that were out of date.

Yep, another call, it's a company policy put in place because of this new scrutiny re expat lease vehicles. What they are trying to achieve I have no idea. 

Anybody else have anymore info on the new "law"?  Is it really a new law or is it a new take on an old one.

So no expats driving local plated cars, how about the locals who drive expat plated cars??? What is the real issue?

I have been following this thread quite closely as I have only been in the country for just over a month! (after waiting 8 months, thank goodness my UK employer kept me on freelance)
I am working for a government body, but have been provided a car by an Italian company who are in partnership with a Libyan company. They have their own prefix on the number plate but no blue square.
Anyone have any idea how this law may apply to me??

BTW Thanks to all the posts on this site, it helped prepare me for this place! (not that any amount preparation is enough)

aussiedutchie wrote:

I have been following this thread quite closely as I have only been in the country for just over a month! (after waiting 8 months, thank goodness my UK employer kept me on freelance)
I am working for a government body, but have been provided a car by an Italian company who are in partnership with a Libyan company. They have their own prefix on the number plate but no blue square.
Anyone have any idea how this law may apply to me??

BTW Thanks to all the posts on this site, it helped prepare me for this place! (not that any amount preparation is enough)

At the very least you will require a letter from the ultimate owner of the car giving you permission to drive it. But ultimately it will depend upon the individual law enforcement officer (!) and how he feels at that particular instant. You can be wrong when you're right. He is always right even when he's wrong. :rolleyes:

What do you mean by "their own prefix?"

If you're working for the Big Man and his boys, I'd imagine you'll be exempted from the requests for dash....

This whole deal sounds very much along the lines of the "no phone while driving" and the seatbelt deal last year, where it all blew over in a few weeks and the Scuffers went back to standing around scratching their useless butts!

I know it's a pain in the arse this new law, but in a way if it provides more locals with employment (as drivers) it isn't all bad, although it will end up costing us more to pay said drivers. Maybe I should ask my lot for a pay rise :lol:

Clansman wrote:

I know it's a pain in the arse this new law, but in a way if it provides more locals with employment (as drivers) it isn't all bad, although it will end up costing us more to pay said drivers. Maybe I should ask my lot for a pay rise :lol:

Not quite,

I have a driver, who I mostly use to drive Mrs Mudman around. He doesn't live with us. I am not going to be without a car when he's not around, aside from social travel at weekends/evenings/holidays you need access to a car 24/7 in case of medical or other emergencies.

The 'driver' law should be to allow only Libyan nationals to be employed as drivers if it's to address (un)employment issues.

Mudman wrote:
Clansman wrote:

Not quite,

I have a driver, who I mostly use to drive Mrs Mudman around. He doesn't live with us. I am not going to be without a car when he's not around, aside from social travel at weekends/evenings/holidays you need access to a car 24/7 in case of medical or other emergencies.

The 'driver' law should be to allow only Libyan nationals to be employed as drivers if it's to address (un)employment issues.

That (in bold) is the part I was informed about over the weekend, I agree with the rest of your post, if it is just to make more money for state, then it is just plain wrong.

justice4pal wrote:

I think I'd rather live in Gaza than here.  Really.

i agree with you go there and take me with you there i have some duties to do in Gaze .
why I'm stay here for what for olive oil get lost olive oil i know the power of olive oil stronger than  feelings of locales I'll go where i can relax (if doesn't fit must quit) i will let the country to their folks

as for the blue plates its old law before you come to Libya there are many kinds of plates here you can ask the authority why use the blue plates for companies and expat if you work in Diplomatic Corps will give red plates in that time you can park any where without promotion from traffic police 
but you buy the fuel by the same price like locales
this is not Distinguish

as for a few traffic police who ask for money or make you target its happened to locales too you can report them to his manger in swani road police station

as for xenophobic we don't have this in Libya at all madam to Americans or other nationality its just propaganda from a few
hypocrites expat .
with your words and what you wrote in topic will make locales are xenophobic

if you wanna live in peace in Libya you must use your heart and brain both together .cheaters everywhere
as for your shower its happened with biggy family
you must check the house before you rent it
this is not big deal and call the lord land to fix any fault in house or as you said your man have tools even me have tools

i wish you don't get me wrong madam in my words

good luck

DISCUSSION COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC -> MODERATED

please concentrate on the initial topic, thanks

Julien wrote:

DISCUSSION COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC -> MODERATED

please concentrate on the initial topic, thanks

I beg to disagree. In my opinion my comment was ON TOPIC and relates to the initial subject.

Regards
EL

Perhaps we should retitle this thread 'Be warned new law for expat drivers Part II".

I learned last evening that yesterday, a friend and co-worker of my husband was detained on his way to the airport. He and his wife were about to board a flight to their new assignment. It was his last trip to the airport. He was pulled over for driving a car (horrors) while expat (downright criminal - how dare he?).  The car was confiscated; I don't know if he missed his flight.

And now, yet again, the company, has asked expats not to drive unless they own their own car until __________.  Well who knows until when or what. Until then, we have a driver. If we are lucky (again) my husband will be back to driving today.  Or tomorrow....

Since there has been no comment here yesterday or today, I assume the request not to drive is unique to my husband's company.  Playing it safe; minimize risk and exposure in an atmosphere of uncertainty.  Understandable. Logical response. 

What continues to be illogical is why this is happening. 

In an earlier post, I said that this 'new law' or whatever it is, is xenophobic and was criticized for it. 

With this newest incident, I'd like to rephrase Mudman:  If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck.

In some places in States, police have been criticized by civil rights activitists for pulling over black drivers especially when driving in predominantly white towns and neighborhoods. Blacks have a catchey description when pulled over in such situations, (especially when no ticket or an extraordinarily minor traffic ticket ends up being written):  DWB (Driving While Black).  For those not familiar with American abbreviations, it's analogous to DWUI Driving While Under the Influence (of alcohol or drugs).

Court challenges and successes have indicated that DWB is indeed a problem in some areas and with some police.  At heart it is the result of racism. 

Racism there, xenophobia here.

Now if anybody has a logical reason for these instances of expats being singled out and relieved of their legally leased vehicles kindly let me know.  I truly would like to know if there is rhyme/reason.  If there is rhyme or reason then we can predict and adjust and compensate. Otherwise, I'll just color the whole thing ACX: Arbitrary, capricious and xenophobic.

New offense in Libya => DWE: Driving While Expat

An Egyptian friend told me that one reason this is going on is the government's attempt to prevent unofficial car rentals which happen when Libyan citizens privately rents to an expat. Expat gets cheaper rate, Libyan gets extra income, government receives no taxes. 

Or so it was explained to me.

ahhhhhhhh......
OMG....

May be they want to know who is driving badly; Expat or citizens.......So they 'll introduce strategic plan to develop new secure traffic system that with high moral driving manners and free of accidents

ibngabal wrote:

May be they want to know who is driving badly; Expat or citizens.......So they 'll introduce strategic plan to develop new secure traffic system that with high moral driving manners and free of accidents

Yeah, and pigs might fly :lol:

ibngabal wrote:

You forgot to add: ;)

Sandman6 wrote:
ibngabal wrote:

Yeah, and pigs might fly :lol:

careful now!!
As ICE T said, JWWYS ;)

And again for the housewives ;): If we finally buy a car and have black plates on it, will it be ok for driving around or shall we still need a company sticker on it? And which do you think is "safer": driving a car with a blue mark as belonging to a company with the sticker or the black-plated one with\without the sticker?

Hubby's car plates (along with those of several other expats who drive leased vehicles) have been resumitted for new plates.  Apparantly now, new color coded plates are to be issued for leased vehicles; don't know if driver nationality will be coded in as well (analogous to the numbered blue squares on expat owned/registered vehicles).

I imagine it relates to the original news posted on this thread.

Anybody else drive leased vehicle doing the same change out of plates?

The answer has always eluded me: why would anyone want to drive in this place anyway??!!

MoEl wrote:

The answer has always eluded me: why would anyone want to drive in this place anyway??!!

Freedom.
To get from A to B.
To go to work
To go home
To go partying
To go to the beach
To go shopping
To go hashing
To go swimming
To go cycling.... :)

Work drivers and taxis are still better, as bad as they are. I think.

justice4pal wrote:

Hubby's car plates (along with those of several other expats who drive leased vehicles) have been resumitted for new plates.  Apparantly now, new color coded plates are to be issued for leased vehicles; don't know if driver nationality will be coded in as well (analogous to the numbered blue squares on expat owned/registered vehicles).

I imagine it relates to the original news posted on this thread.

Anybody else drive leased vehicle doing the same change out of plates?

The driving here is not bad compared to some other places.  It just takes a few days to get a feel for it.

gabacho wrote:

The driving here is not bad compared to some other places.  It just takes a few days to get a feel for it.

Not as bad, but I'm nearly 8 times more likely to be killed in a car in Libya than in the UK. There are worse places, like rural India where hitting a cow in the middle of the road is highly possible.
Straight from the horse's mouth, not the Daily Mail

MoEl wrote:

I'd rather put my life in my hands, have slightly more control.

But, whatever makes you happy. :)

MoEl wrote:

Sure they are. Have any of them actually passed a driving test ?
Funny how you never see a man taking driving lessons, you only ever see women in those yellow cars.

Mudman wrote:
gabacho wrote:

Not as bad, but I'm nearly 8 times more likely to be killed in a car in Libya than in the UK. There are worse places, like rural India where hitting a cow in the middle of the road is highly possible.
Straight from the horse's mouth, not the Daily Mail

Right, but getting killed in an accident has a lot to do with the safety equipment being used and not necessarily the driving style.  You may have noticed a lot of Libyans don't wear seat belts.  So I stand by my comment that driving is worse and potentially more dangerous in other places.