Foreign Employee Indoctrination Procedures

Hello Everyone

I am from Southern California.
I've recently been offered a position at a resort as a dive instructor.  I am thrilled at the opportunity and the prospect of teaching scuba at Maldives. 

However, I am little confused as to how foreign employees are indoctrinated into the local workforce.

Assuming my visa come through soon (been waiting for 2 weeks already), what can I expect upon my arrival at Male?  Specifically, I understand there is some sort of medical exam.  How does this work and who administers this exam?  Is this normal for all foreign workers?

Also, after my contract period of 1 year, is it possible to renew my work visa through the same or another company (employer wiling of course)?  Reading the forum, it sounds like I have to leave the country and return on a separate visa – is this true?

What is “Overseas Employment Certificate” and what does “attend the PDOS by OWWA” mean?

Thank you for your answers in advance

Hi Dustyshoe.

OEC PDOS and OWWA is applicable to Filipinos who will be working outside the Philippines. If you are not, then it is not necessary for you to provide those.

For your work visa, once you arrive here in the Maldives you will be obliged to have your medical exams taken as is this an SOP for your work visa to be complete. Most of the companies/resorts here in the Maldives offer renewable contract after a year of service or two.

Did I miss out something else? :)

BTW, ask your prospect employer to give you an offer letter / letter of agreement first then your contract comes next.

Saireedee

Thank you saireedee

your response is greatly appreciated =)