Daily life & culture

Hi all,

I am doing a course on different cultures and their practices and have chosen Vietnam to write my paper on. As part of my research, I need to obtain information on the following:-

(1) Languages - Apart from Vietnamese, which is the national language, are there any other common languages spoken by the locals?
(2) Education - Is there a minimum number of years of compulsory education?
(3) Food - Is it available till late at night? 
(4) Religion - I understand that the main religion is Buddhism. Is it true that Christianity is also practiced there?
(5) Accepted dress code - Is there a dress code?  Some cultures frown on women wearing shorts, skirts and jeans.
(6) Handphones, WIFI - What are the common brands of Handphones there and is WIFI easily available?

Any help given will be greatly appreciated.  Many thanks.

Kind regards
LTKS

All these data and information easily available on Wiki and US or Australian Embassy reports on Vietnam. Shouldn't 'research' be you finding out things yourself?? These days search engines are uncountable!

I can help you with the above questions:
1. The only one national and official language in Vietnam is Vietnamese. There are no other national languages.
2. Vietnam education is from grade 1 to grade 12. You go to grade 1 when you 6, and finish grade 12 at 18. After that, you can go to universities if you pass the entrance exam.
3. Food is only available late at night in big cities like Ho Chi Minh city, Hanoi, Danang ... in some places, not many.
4. The answer is true. There are also Christians in Vietnam.
5. It's almost no dress code here. Except you cannot walk on the street without any clothes,haha
6. Samsung, Apple, Nokia, LG, Blackberry.... Just like your country I guess so. Wifi are mostly available at Wifi coffee shops. There are not many free wifi points.

If you have any questions about Vietnam you can contact me via skype ID: cyberkid1603.
Regards,

tringuyenxp1603 wrote:

I can help you with the above questions:
1. The only one national and official language in Vietnam is Vietnamese. There are no other national languages.
2. Vietnam education is from grade 1 to grade 12. You go to grade 1 when you 6, and finish grade 12 at 18. After that, you can go to universities if you pass the entrance exam.
3. Food is only available late at night in big cities like Ho Chi Minh city, Hanoi, Danang ... in some places, not many.
4. The answer is true. There are also Christians in Vietnam.
5. It's almost no dress code here. Except you cannot walk on the street without any clothes,haha
6. Samsung, Apple, Nokia, LG, Blackberry.... Just like your country I guess so. Wifi are mostly available at Wifi coffee shops. There are not many free wifi points.

If you have any questions about Vietnam you can contact me via skype ID: cyberkid1603.
Regards,

Thank you so much for your reply. It's most helpful and I will add it to my main research.

Just one question on etiquette.  If you could share one thing that a visitor must do when visiting a Vietnamese family for the first time in Vietnam, what will that be?

Kind Regards

Actually there is no formal etiquette when you visit a Vietnamese family for the first time. Just say Xin chào cả nhà (Hello everyone) and shake hand.

If you come from overseas then bring along something that is well- known in your nation, maybe food item etc.

Hi tringuyenxp1603

Cám Ơn bạn Rất Nhiều (thank you very much). 

Kind regards

Seniordogsg46 wrote:

If you come from overseas then bring along something that is well- known in your nation, maybe food item etc.

Thanks for the suggestion.

tringuyenxp1603 wrote:

Actually there is no formal etiquette when you visit a Vietnamese family for the first time. Just say Xin chào cả nhà (Hello everyone) and shake hand.

Cám Ơn bạn Rất Nhiều (thank you very much). 

Kind regards