Vietnam Visa Questions - trying to move here and work

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend and I are trying to figure out a way to stay here in Vietnam for up to a few years. We're currently here on a 3 month C1 Tourist visa. He's from the UK, I'm from the US.

We both work online (for ourselves).

Questions:
1. Is it illegal to work (or volunteer) when here on a tourist visa?
2. How many times can we apply for the 3-month extensions?
3. Interested in suggestions on the best way to stay for multiple years...we were thinking about extending once, then we're both leaving for a few weeks this summer, and coming back through Cambodia and making that trip yearly? Or is that only available to tourists?

Some other possibilities I'm willing to look in to are getting a visa through an NGO I'm working with here, starting a business here, or starting an NGO here...if anyone knows if any of those options are easier or more certain (or not), I'd love to hear your insight.

Thank you!

i have full solutions for you
no problemes for 4 years

no probleme
yes we can
maximum 4 years

Alopalo wrote:

getting a visa through an NGO I'm working with here

That is your best bet.  Legitimate NGOs get a lot of leeways here.   

starting a business

Depending on what type and how informed you are and how practical your strategies are.  However, starting a business just so you can stay here, to me, is not a very good choice.  Business is war, and it demands your full attention.

starting an NGO

Over the years, because of frauds and abuses, the Vietnamese government has placed many restrictions on such organizations.  Like business, this type of an organization requires serious commitments.  You might not want to get into it for the mere reason of staying here.

Aside from continueing with what you are currently doing with your NGO, you can get a job here, which is much much easier...

Best,
Howie

ducdehanoi > aren't you trying to sell your services here, which is not allowed ?

I do not know much for this but my old director (also be a share holder) can have the 3 years license called temporary resident card ( from 2009-2012)!My colleague can have 1-year-visa as I did 1 year working permit for him. Hope this can help you!Good luck!

Dear Alopalo,
1. It is illegal to work but legal for volunteer when you in VN with a tourist visa?

2. You have 2 time maximum to extend your 3 month visa.

3. You can work and stay in VN for multipe years by get Vietnam Work Permit. But you are required to show a degree of proprietary knowledge.

You may convert from visitor purpose to work purpose while staying in Vietnam or as the work permit application is in process.

Also, the Work Permit application has to be sponsored by a company or entity registered and recognized in Vietnam.

Best,
VSE

Hey everyone - thanks for all the feedback! (Sorry for the delay - I wasn't informed of any responses for some reason.)

I'll use up my two extensions and then see where I'm at with everything at that point.

Again, thanks for all the answers!