Cost of living in Norway

Hi everybody,

It would be very interesting and useful to exchange informations about the cost of living in Norway. The idea is to help those who would like to live in Norway.
Don't forget to mention where you are living

Let's compare the:

> accommodation prices (how much does it cost to rent or to buy an accommodation in Norway?)

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> prices of a beer or a coffee in a regular pub

Thanks in advance for your participation!

Sent by passionjelly in March 2007

I live in Kristiansand, Norway.

> accommodation prices
$700 and up.

$3

If you don't eat out - $200-400

included in taxes.

included in taxes.

high.

around $400.

$40-50

> prices of a beer and of a coffee in a regular pub
a 0.5 beer: $8 (!!)   regular black coffee: $4

> tobacco
20 pack marlboro is $10

education price - free to study in colleges and University, but to buy books is pretty expensive. it will cost approx 2000-3000 kr per year.

public transportation - area around Oslo 22-26 kr for a buss

health prices - well, it is not really included in taxes. you have to pay for each visit to your doctor. Approx 130-170 kr for a visit. even if this is just for some minutes.

Health care - Well in US this is the equivalent of the co-payment (USD15 to 30)after a stiff insurance premium. So I'll take Norwegian costs any day.

University books in US - between 500 to 2000 USD per year  which means  starting at about 3000 NOK

Norway is not that expensive after all. one may use the savings from the tuition and health costs to cover the extra food expenses.

Ulsteinvik, Norwa
> accommodation prices (how much does it cost to rent or to buy an accommodation in Norway?) We live in a one bedroom furnished basement apartment for 6500 NOK monthly
> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...) steep. A flybussen for 30 minutes will cost you about 100 NOK, the ferries are cheaper if you have a multiple use pass, but still about 100-300 NOK a kick
> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?) Eating at home, cooking cheaply, we spend 4000 NOK for two people on food and household stuff
> health prices (for those who need medical insurance) We have workpermits, so technically we are covered but you still pay 200 NOK everytime you visit. I had a filling replaced at the dentist and it cost about about 1500 NOK

> eduction prices (if you need to pay) we work

> energy prices (oil, electricity) depends on the season, and rates vary, but we spend about 500 NOK a month for a modern one bedroom

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone) tv and internet included in our apartment, no idea

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant - main course would be cheap if it was less than 100 nok, more likely between 200 and 500 nok. Eating out is not common in our area, so it's a luxury

> prices of a beer or a coffee in a regular pub coffee ranges from 10 to 50 nok, beer from 50 to 100 nok

On health care: Costs over about 1800 Nkr per year are refunded. That is the maximum you should have to pay for medically necessary work. Cosmetic surgery etc is not covered.

Cost of living in Trondheim?

What's the price of the cheapest beer ( 0,5l) in a supermarket in Bergen? Are the prices visibly different depending on the ,,popularity'' of the town?

For Oslo:

- Rent: 1000 euro for small flat, 1 bedroom
- Electricity: 150 euro for small flat 50 sqm, incl heating
- Education: Free at state schools/universities
- Healthcare: Free at state hospitals, ridiculously expensive
  otherwise.
- Transport: 70 euro for monthly pass, 4 euro for 10 km by bus
- Taxi: 10 km for 55 euro
- Telephone: 0,12 euro for 1 min prepaid, 40 euro for cable tv, 40 for 10 mb internet.
- Heating: 75 euro per month for 50 sqm.
- Water: if renting flat its included, if you own your own flat         you must pay about 85 euro for water and garbage monthly
- Supermarket (for 1 adult): 350 euro per month
- Sigarettes: 10 euro for 20 pcs.
- Wine: 12 euro at the shop, 3 euro for beer
- Beer at a pub/bar 9 euro for pint
- Coffee at a cafe: 4 euro
- Car Fuel: 1.90 euro per litre
- Clothing: like most of europe
- Restaurant: 1 drink for 12 euro, beer for 9. McDonald menu for about 11 euro. Eating at a lovely restaurant about 30 euro for main dinner without dessert and wine for one person. A bottle of wine for 30 euro at restaurant. Expect to pay about 130 euro for two persons incl wine and dessert.

What is most expensive in Norway: rental/buying flat and houses, nightlife and taxi, meat like chicken-lamb etc, restaurant, tobacco and alcohol,

Not expensive: Phone, internet, electrisety, gasoline, non-food groseries and clothes - if you compare to other european countries.

A norwegian income after tax: 2800 euro for a simple/easy job.

millanmaximus wrote:

Cost of living in Trondheim?

It's approximately the same in the enitre country, with the exception of cities far north. It obviously depends alot on the area and when it was last refurbished though.

All the other costs are approximately the same!

And I want to add that dental care is not included in the free health care when you are above the age of eighteen.

If you choose to go to a private school, you will have to pay about 15% of the cost of your spot.

Public transportation:
Buses are cheap (30NOK for a ticket in Trondheim, and you can travel in several muncipalities with that same ticket), the underground in Oslo is cheap as well. The train is reasonably priced, many people choose the train over bus because of cheaper prices.

hello,
What about the prices in Bodo? Food and public transport

I will be very appriciate for this information.

I arrive to Oslo on 8th November, do you know some affordable room to rent? My budget is around 3000 NOK until I find a job.
Regards

Hi everyone,

I've got few questions about living at Bodo/Norway.
I'm curious about flat prices (renting), food prices, etc...

Thanks in advance.

Hallo.

I was born in Norway (now moved to another contry), but that does not say that I dont know a thing or two. (i only moved 4 month ago).
Well:

Living costs \rent:

To find prices of rent in different locations I strongly recoment people going into
finn.no/finn/realestate/lettings/browse1
There is a list of all locations. You just "click" on the location you want, then the area in that location, and then a list of appartments \ houses for rent comes up.
Really easy to use.
Its in norwegian, but you can always copy the text and use google translate.

TRANSPORT:

Transportation is kinda expencive compared to other places in the world.
Taking a bus costs 30 kroners, in euro thats 3,90.
FOr a train it all varies, depends on where you're going.

FOOD PRICES:

Food prices also depends on what you eat.
But most of all it depends on WHERE you shop.
I would recomend the foodstore: KIWI. There you can buy products called "First price". Mostly their food taste great and are really cheap compared to other prices.
But also they have "First price" products at a foodstore called "Meny", BUT Meny is on of the high class stores and I do not recoment anyone shopping there unless they wanna through away their money.
At Kiwi you also get low price claning stuff. If you buy a product called "Unik" when youre ect buying soap for the floor, or glass cleanser and so on, you save a lot of money.
So dont go for the expencive brands!!!
Rema 1000 is also a food store to go shoping if you dont have a Kiwi near you. Rema 1000 is on second place when it comes to saving money. They also have low price brands, I just cant seem to remember what they are called.
YOu can visit Kiwi and Rema 1000 homepage here:
kiwi.no/
rema.no/

HEALTH PRICES:
In Norway we dont have health incurance like they do in alot of contries. There the health incurance is covered by the taxes you pay. But you still need to pay some. But you only maximum pay 1800 kroners ( 237 euro) a year and after you have reached that limit, everything is free. But every january you have to start all over again. For a doctors appointment its about 350 kroners
(46 euro).
Mostly for anything is about that ammount.

OIL, GASS, ELECTRICITY:

In norway you REALLY should have a fireplace as electricity is redicolously expencive. And there is no use trying to save using parafin oil with a parafin burner as that now is also expencive. SO fireplace is a huge PLUSS when youre looking for a place to rent or buy.
Gasoline for your car now cost nearly 16 kroners ( 2,10 euro)

COMMON BILLS:

Well, for internet you have to atleast pay 300 kroners a month.
(39,40 euro).
For phone there are several options. You can have a pay card, there you load the card in your phone though your visa card and only load what ammount you want to use. (good option if you dont use the phone much).
If you use much there are two main companies: Telenor and Netcom.
They have offers and they vary from 200 kroners (26,30 euro) to 500 kroners (65,70).....it all depends on what you want.

TElevision also depends on what you want. All from 200 kroners up tp a 1000 kroners.

NOw, thats it for now. Just pm me if theres is something you want to ask.

I want to go norway with job seeker visa. i am confused for how to get job in norway.Can i get job within month. I am diploma electronics engineer.

Hello Amit N. Patel and welcome to Expat.com!

You are off topic on this thread. Can you please start a new one on the Norway forum with your questions? :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

> accommodation prices (how much does it cost to rent or to buy an accommodation in Norway?)
10000kr - small 3 bedroom flat - though 16,000kr+ would be typical for 3 bedroom place in a town.. more closer to oslo

only really used it for few routes
1 adults by train from kongsberg to
oslo - 600kr (return)
rygge airport 1200kr (return)
petrol is also around 14kr a litre
deisel 13kr a litre

in a word expensive
2 adults + 2 kids = 2500kr+ (ICA or Kiwi shop trip, REMA 1000 might be about 5-10% cheaper but not a lot in it and shopping experience isnt great like a really bad LIDI etc in UK)

a few stables for pricing
50-70kr for frozen pizza
28kr for 1,75lt milk
25kr loaf bread
24kr 4 pack of yogurts
25kr for strawberries
44kr 225g coffee beans
chicken 160kr/kg
beef 250kr/kg
beer 20kr a can
european beer 28kr a can
bottle of wine starts around 105kr

just an interesting side note - we found most food here really lacks flavour compared to what we're used to - anyone else found this???

havent used yet

state free
not for profit school: 25000kr per child per year
private international: 150000 kr per child per year

petrol is also around 14kr a litre
deisel 13kr a litre

hard to get good food here - chance in bigger town perhaps
257kr for pizza in jazz kitchen / peppies pizza etc
150-190kr a dish in basic indian
a family lunch at somewhere better "tgi fridays etc" 900-1200kr

beer 69kr a bottle in pub/cafe
wine 67kr a glass / 397kr a bottle
vodka and coke 99kr

Thanks in advance for your participation!

Let's compare the:

> accommodation prices (how much does it cost to rent or to buy an accommodation in Norway?) Kr. 10.000 for a 50 m2 flat, outside the city you can get a house. Sometimes radiator heat is included.

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...) For only one ticket its expensive. For a month around 600,-.

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?) kr. 3000,- for one person, without wine or beer. Cook at home.

Dont know, its free for norwegians. But only after paying kr 1800,- in a year.

free

Kr 800 pr month for 50-80 m2.

Internet 300, tv 250, mobile phone is very cheap.

restaurant is expensive but you can get Asian for kr. 100 in a less fancy restaurant, no wine or water included.

beer kr 70,-. Drink kr 100+,

Do you own a car its very expensive and also transport in general. Sigarettes, alcohol and meat are expensive. Whats not that expensive in Norway is electronic like flat screens and washing machines, clothes, use mobilephone, electricety.

Compered to other EU contries like Germany or Spain its more than 40% higher price for everyting.

zeast wrote:

Internet 300, tv 250, mobile phone is very cheap.

You also have the NRK lisens. That 1200 twise a year. THats just for owning a tv.

hiiii i am gurjeet i am coming norway with help of job skeeper visa i m finding accomodation in osla   norway very cheapest rate

Can anyone (been living in Norway for a while) can tell me some online shops whre I can find the latest prices for electronic goods such as LED TV, Washing M/c, Fridge etc.? Or if possible, please share your experiences regarding the prices of any of above items.

Thanks,
MK

http://www.elkjop.no/

Like argos/currys in uk

Hi people!

I've been assigned for a work at Rygge, south of Oslo, receiving around 1400Eur (in euros)without taxes icluded.. is this enough for the standard of living there, or it'll be even possible to pare some little money in the end of the month? thanks for the advice ;)
Best Refards!

Hey,

It is not clear in your message whether you will receive 1400 net of taxes or before taxes. In both cases it is a little on the low side of the salaries in Norway and you would have to be very careful with your expenses if you want to save something at the end of month

before taxes :S thank you for your response! ;)

Might be moving to Bergen, Askoy for 2 years in the later part of this year. May i know what is the standard of living there?

Food?
Accomodation?
Daily neccessity (e.g shower foam, shampoo, etc)
Transport?

Will be great if anyone can advise me on the above.. =)

Have a blessed week ahead!

Cheers,
Silvia

What about in Mo I Rana? anyone? Anyone?

I have been through Mo i Rana as my partner has family from that area: it's a fairly smallish town in a very isolated part of the country, very much 'jumping in the deep end' of Norway and it's culture, it's a good drive to a 'big' city (6 hours to Trondheim). I work with a lot of guys from the Philippines and I think there's a big difference between the two cultures but then Norwegian people are very friendly once you get to know them, takes a little time though :)

Prices outside Oslo are fairly standard though, the above posts are pretty good guides to costs of course you will find some things are more expensive and some things cheaper depending on where you shop.

Hi, Lostintranslationviking. Thanks for answering.

Are there rooms where I can rent? I can't seem to find anything online. Where are you living by the way?

So Mo I Rana isn' a good place to look for work? wehehe.. And is it true that there is occupancy limits? Like in a house/apartment where there are only two room, means only two people are allowed to  live there?

When I'm in Norway I'm in Sunnmøre, Ålesund. I'm afraid I don't know anything about housing there or the rules for it though... sorry, it's not got a huge student population like Trondheim or Bergen so I can imagine renting is more difficult, have you tried finn.no? It sounds like you have a job in place already- can your employer help?

I don't know maybe Mo i Rana is a great place to find work? I've never tried so can't say.... :) but it is a fairly isolated place, I think it's difficult moving to a small town if you weren't brought up there no matter where you are in the world... my experience of Norwegians is that they have had the same friends since they were at a young age so being new, foreign, not being great at the language in the beginning (it's like the Philippines, each region has its own dialect) can make it hard but that doesn't mean people aren't friendly.

Gone off topic, I would google house rules, I expect there is something.

Can you tell me more about Ålesund?

What do you want to know?

Ålesund, approx 45-50,000 people live here. It is a small town centre (very pretty)with many people living in areas round about, but is the largest town between Bergen (250,000 people approx)and Trondheim (180,000). It has one progessional football team and one hospital, with a shopping centre (what you would call a mall I guess), which also two slightly bigger supermarkets with slightly more selection than the smaller stores in the centre, the centre also has a very small cinema and a swimming pool about 20mins to drive, a round trip to the shopping centre by bus costs about 70kr ($12 US).

It has an airport with regular flights to Oslo and some interrnational flights throughout the week to Copenhagen, London,  Riga, Spanish holiday destinations and soon Amsterdam. There is no local train but there are local buses and buses that go across the country daily.

Many people work in fishing, shipping and offshore related industries. The offshore industry means there is a small European expat community who work for companies such as Rolls Royce but I'm not in touch with this community and know little of how many there are. There is no university here but a technical school and a college which offers higher education.

I don't know what typical prices people pay for rented housing are?

There are good hiking and skiing possibilities in the area but not so many activities in the town, though there are sports clubs, choirs and so on. People tend to speak a dialect closer to nynorsk than bokmål, you will find if you begin to learn 'proper' Norwegian, you will understand what is written but struggle with understanding what people say, though they will probably understand you- it is very unusual for people to not speak dialect even if they know you are not Norwegian.

Sunnmøre people (the region) have a reputation for being skinflints (i.e keeping money for themselves), this is more of a joke and people from other regions tease them for it, in general I find them very friendly and warm and I like their dialect a lot.

Food prices and so on are the same as the rest of the land. Culture is not so different to those from other parts of Norway, although of course there are local traditions and they are fiercely proud of their country. Do not expect people to hold doors open for you, smile at you in the street or in shops, or expect a conversation, it is a shy land and people hold great respect for each others privacy which others may intrpret as 'rude', it's not really,  but it takes a bit of getting used to.

Women are on equal footing with men here, you are expected to work as hard and do everything as the men do, it is not unusual to see women doing jobs such as construction or as officers on ships as well as more traditional roles, there are few stay at home mums and something like 75% of Norwegian women work and are almost expected to contribute to society (after their kids are old enough to start nursery at one- three years old). Do not expect for example a man to open doors for you, lift heavy things for you, always pay for dinner or take your coat here nor will you will  be treated as a 'little sister'-(I've seen cultural differences go wrong working with my colleagues from Norway and the Philippines- always a misunderstanding without meaning to insult but someone misunderstands and gets insulted- we always smile about it afterwards :) when we understand what happened).

Hello guys,

You can start a new topic on the Norway forum for better visibility and please note that the subject of this discussion is Cost of living in Norway.

Thank you,
Christine - Expat.com team

What about Tromso? Anyone?