Military in switzerland

hi im marie 24yrs old im just new here... im am married to my half filipino and half swiss husband here in the philippines, we have already  a month old baby boy. We are planning to move at switzerland in three years. My husband grew there, he just moved in here in the philippines 2 years ago... whenever i ask him why in three years pa? he is always saying he doesnt want to go to the military because its a policy there, he is 23 yrs now and he said by 26  there is a new policy that this is the age limit of serving the military in switzerland ? is it true?

Hi marie,

Welcome to Expat.com!

I created a new topic as from your post on the Switzerland forum for better visibility.

Yes this is basically true. After he turns 26 he will not be requested to basic military training. But he will have to pay the tax for not doing his service. 3% additional tax on his taxable yearly income.
And he will be probably enrolled in the Zivilschutz (Protection and support service).

http://www.bevoelkerungsschutz.admin.ch … chutz.html

thank you christine:)

thanks notker :) so it will be really expensive right? specially on our expenses... do you think its best for us to go there before he reaches 26??

somebody sent me a message that anytime and at any age he will serve the military ones we go to switzerland .. kinda confuse..

Well, that person was apparently wrong. I can only send you the documents in German. Maybe your husband speaks German? Or you can find the document in other national languages (French or Italian).
http://www.admin.ch/ch/d/sr/5/510.10.de.pdf

The document is the legal foundation of the army and Art.9 subsection 3 states in loose translation: "after you turn 26 you are no longer required by law to undergo the recruiting process for the army." Your husband is still free to join the army if he wants to, but he is no longer automatically obliged to do so.

On the subject of the tax he will have to pay for not doing his service: He will be required to pay this 3% tax until he turns 30 when his theoretical service period would have ended. I do not know for sure if he will have to pay the tax retrospectively for the years since he turned 18.

If you and your husband are still uncertain about these questions, I would suggest you get into contact with your local embassy or consulate. They will certainly help you and provide you with the right documents in translation.

thank you for those information :) yeas m husband can speak german