Looking to make friends in Yangon

Hi,

I've been living/teaching here last 5 months. It's been a great experience mostly. Making friends slower than expected, but not much luck meeting other expats/teachers.
I'm a single female, so don't always feel comfortable going to bars, I find also not ideal places to meet new people, other women.
Any suggestions???

Thanks

dear madam,
i m frm bombay but at present in congo
i m planing to visit myanmar.
can u help me?

Go to Pansodan Gallery, you'll find plenty of art and lots of interesting people.

Thanks for the Pansodan tip. I have tried to find it, but unsuccessfully. I've walked up and down the street, but no luck. I'll try again this weekend.

hi im filipina and im gowing soon in myanmar i hope i meet friends there!!!

Hi,
May I suggest visiting the Gallery 65.
It is located at No. 65, York Street, the street right behind Bogyoke Market.
A polite crowd assembles there when they have exhibitions.
The owner is nice gentleman call Ko Min Lwin who knows everyone.  Everybody there speaks very good English, language is never a problem.
Tell him that Moe Lwin suggested that you visit.

Regards,
Moe

[Moderated: No free advertisement on the forum please]

Hi all,
I am going to visit Myanmar on 16th June to 20th June. this tour is for business development, I want to expand business there. If anyone can help me in this issue can meet me OR even can just meet me as friend. I would like to make friends.
regards
Manohar

hello Esl. teacher,
i can see that you wrote your message a while ago. By this time have you managed to find some friends? i am new here, we can meet one day for a coffee if you'd like?

Hi Annakit,

I no longer live in Myanmar. I wish you the very best of luck there. It's truely an amazing place!

Take care :-)

Hey, I am a German student, doing an internship in Yangon for 6 months. I am travelling to Inle for one week and I am back in Yangon next weekend because my internship will start on monday 17.09. I would love to meet other expats here. So if you are up for a drink sometime, I would be very happy about it.

Pansodan gallery is call Lawkanat Gallery. It is located at the corner of  Pansodan St and Merchant St. It's on the first floor. It's a yellow colonial building. I don't think it's a ideal place to meet ppl. May be try to join the yoga club or the gym. Always try to go to same place consistently over the period of time and you will make more friends in no time. Good luck and I hope you have a wonderful stay in Yagon.

hello people i am from kolkata/ india...
currently work at bangkok/thailad.
i will go yangon next week for work. i want make new friend there, because i am going alone there.. and i dont like lownlyness ..so please make freind with me

thank you so much ...!! :):)

I'll be going to Yangon from Singapore in early Dec 2012 to explore business opportunities. Please email me at [email protected] if you are interested in meeting up for either business or leisure.

Ed

I am a Canadian Business English Teacher coming to teach at the International Language & Business Centre in Yangon, Myanmar in January.

I am looking to meet fellow Americans, Brits, Auzzies, and Canadians to enjoy conversation and friendship.

Please contact me at the School.

Regards,

Kenneth J. Mate

Hi

I will be in Myanmar in late Jan..

Anyone want to meet up?

Mike

Hi guys, im newly here... anyone interest to meet up?

Hi ,
You have to understand Myanmr Society first .They like to gather for religious activities and social activities (not club).Suggest to do share your yourbest knowledge in universities and grow your enviroment.

Frank ( Tin Htun Aung )
[email protected]

Hello everyone. I am a new expatriate in Yangon as well. Inform me if any of you have plans for a gathering.

Hello Mike,
Are you still in Yangon?
Regards,
Winston.

[Moderated: no free ads pls]

Hello everyone,

I'll be there 1/7-12/7 for traveling,

Lets meet up and go around the city, shall we ;) ?

Hello QuynhTruc,
If you want to make new friends while you are visiting Yangon, let us know when you get here to get together. I'm not too sure the date you mentioned in your post. My mobile is 09-24110-8822. 
Regards,
Winston.

Hi QuynhTruc

Are you from Vietnam? Let me know ([email protected]) when you arrive and hopefully (or not!) I'll still be around.

Hi Benjamin

What are you doing in Yangon? There is a Myanmar Expats group on LinkedIn.

Ed

Lucasyap wrote:

Hi guys, im newly here... anyone interest to meet up?

Hi Lucas

Are you still in Yangon? Email me ([email protected]) if you would like to meet up.

Cheers
Ed

Hi everyone,
Ii'm gonna be at sailing club tonight for happy hour. Nice breeze out there and beautiful water front at Inya Lake. Anyone intrested to meet for beer , wine or whiskey, call me at 09 42110-8822.
THIF,
Winston.

Hi everybody :)

I'd like to meet nice people, grab a drink and have a good time. let's meet up! who's in?

Cheers,

Schandy

Hey ... Schandy .... im in .. lemme know .. I work with QATAR AIRWAYS and been here for the last 1 week ... [email protected]

Hello Schandy,
We are up for friendship and drinks off course. My email is [email protected]. My mobile is 09-42110-8822.
Regards,
Winston.

Hi Schandy

The Myanmar Expats group on LinkedIn is organising a get together this month. The link is here LinkedIn - Myanmar Expats

You may want to join in!

Cheers
Ed

Hi,
There are lots of places to meet new people in Yangon. Here are some of the favorite expat places (which usually also have a nice mix of locals/expats which I think is important):

- 50th Street Bar (any day of the week. Downtown. Google it.)
- Strand Bar (Happy Hour) - Friday Nights (in the Strand Hotel)
- Friendship Bar (corner of Damazhedi + Inya Rd, across from The Savoy hotel)
- Inya 1 Bar (on Inya Rd)on Thursday nights
- Escape Bar
- DeBar
- Pansodan Gallery every Tuesday night. They have a cool Tuesday night mingle thing
- Quatro Products wine night (Wednesdays)

You can also check-out any of the groups/clubs and join. There are photography groups, writing groups, book clubs, The Hash runners/walkers, cycling groups, and lots of sports (especially tennis and golf). There are also meditation groups that meet. Or you can take a ballet, yoga, pilates, aquagym class. There are loads of things to do, really. :)

Your best bet to find out what's happening is to to go whatsonyangon.com They have an events calendar + also good reviews of restaurants in town. 

If you're going to be living in Myanmar, I suggest joining the expat google group. It's called Yangon Expat Connection Google Group. Go here to join: http://groups.google.com/group/yangon-expat-connection

I hope this helps! :)

-Becky

Thank you very much for your great suggestions and taking time to post this blog. I'm sure everybody will find this information very useful.
Best regards,
Winston.

Hi Becky,
My previous post was meant to thank you for your effort to post the blog which I'm sure everybody will find it very helpful.
Best regards,
Winston.

Hi there, this is Cam, Malaysian Chinese businessman now based in Yangon, love to meet more friends here in Yangon. My local contact no is 09421106811

My contact: [email protected]
I am looking for new friend & enjoy new life in Yangon for long times.

Hello!
I am going to be in Yangon for the months of June and July working at Yangon's children's hospital.  I would love to make some acquaintances for my time there since I know no one except the doctor I will be working with!

If you'd like to shoot me an email or something : )
[email protected]

Hi All,

I'm from Singapore and have been here for 5 months and currently running a retail cum wine bar.

Would like to organize an expat networking night where we can meet up for drinks and chats.

Anyone interested?

I can be reached at 094 20276899 or [email protected]

Cheers!

Hi QuynhTruc,

Good Afternoon from Myanmar!
Firstly i want to say "Welcome to Myanmar"
My name is Soe, Myanmese.
I also just return from oversea due to work relocation back to Yangon.
Hope we can be good friend during your trip.
Do let me know when you will be here.
Looking forward to meeting with you.

Regards,
Soe

Hello! I will be moving to Yangon in 2 weeks to do an internship for the UNODC. So far I have nothing like accommodation worked out so if you know anything about where is good to live it would be appreciated. I have a feeling I could definitely use as many friends as possible so I would be happy to explore with you. What do you do for work in Yangon?

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum pls]