Do and don't in Myanmar

Are you living in Myanmar? We need you to share your experience of the local customs :)

Is it difficult to adjust to the local customs in Myanmar?

Could you please share with us a list of the do's and don't's in Myanmar?

Thanks!

Actually there are many dos and don'ts in everywhere. I can only say that dos and donts here are not much strict.

Are you living in Myanmar? We need you to share your experience of the local customs :)

Well I actually left two years ago but still keep in touch with friends and remember the experience well ;-)

Not if you are used to the fact that customs ARE different, and not if you come with an open mind - Myanmar people are really friendly and understand that foreigners don't know all the customs so seem quite tolerant if you do something awkward

Could you please share with us a list of the [b] do's and don't's in Myanmar?

Well there are quite a few things if you want to be culture sensitive, just a few off the top of my head:

- use your right hand (or both at the same time) to give people things;
- do not sit on books;
- take off your shoes when you enter a pagoda or monastery grounds;
- wear sensible clothes (no revealing clothing), especially when around Myanmar people or at a religious sight (international hotels no problem);
- never shout or show anger in public;
- show respect towards monks
- remember, there are certain restrictions for women (a separate 'story' really), feel free to contact me if you need more info :)

Some of these are pretty inter-asian, some may seem weird but have a perfectly clear explanation so good luck and enjoy your Myanmar experience!

Thank you all for sharing :)

Aurélie

Siberian wrote:

Well I actually left two years ago but still keep in touch with friends and remember the experience well ;-)

Not if you are used to the fact that customs ARE different, and not if you come with an open mind - Myanmar people are really friendly and understand that foreigners don't know all the customs so seem quite tolerant if you do something awkward

Could you please share with us a list of the [b] do's and don't's in Myanmar?

Well there are quite a few things if you want to be culture sensitive, just a few off the top of my head:

- use your right hand (or both at the same time) to give people things;
- do not sit on books;
- take off your shoes when you enter a pagoda or monastery grounds;
- wear sensible clothes (no revealing clothing), especially when around Myanmar people or at a religious sight (international hotels no problem);
- never shout or show anger in public;
- show respect towards monks
- remember, there are certain restrictions for women (a separate 'story' really), feel free to contact me if you need more info :)

Some of these are pretty inter-asian, some may seem weird but have a perfectly clear explanation so good luck and enjoy your Myanmar experience!

I agree with the points above , these are the important points to keep in mind.

And no PDA ( public display of affection )

Things have opened up in the last two years , specially after the general elections, i saw people expressing their political views openly which i think was not possible before.

Hi,

Just one way safe way is to be sincere and a big smile will get you through, your Myanmar hosts will be glad to teach you the right way, and even do it like a best friend and also keep the secret safe forever too.

Moe

Bargain on anything you buy (including taxi fare).

Just to add a few

* it's good to bow your head a little down when you are passing through elderly people

* it's not good to point index finger at people....

You may also find some valuable guide in various books on living in Yangon or Myanmar. For example, Golden Guide for Yangon in Monument Books, 150 Dhamazedi Road, Bahan township. Further there are more than 100 book titles on Myanmar there, many of them offer cultural understandings on Myanmar. Good luck!

Hello nhigiang2012 and welcome to Expat.com!

You could give some information about Myanmar on the forum. This thread is on "Do and Don't in Myanmar". Maybe you can share your experiences?

Thank you.

ask and learn from the locals where ever you go and whoever you meet.they won't hestitate to help you.

Hi Christina and all,
Thanks for greeting me. One of my experience is that locals may like you if you know some Myanmar sentences. They really like it. If you want to learn, they are very eager to teach you:-).
They are said to be gentle so when dealing with them being soft and polite are recommended.
Cheers,

To add to all above points,
DOs:

1. If you have been rude in front of a religious ground or monk, say "gadaw" twice as a sign of respect.

2. When addressing someone, make sure to put appropriate Burmese honorifics. Eg. U for Mr., Daw for Mrs.

3. Offer a seat to an elderly or a woman when all other places are occupied.

4. When eating, serve the eldest member of the group first.

5. Before starting a discussion about something shameful, request for permission first.

6. For hygiene reasons, dine only at a clean restaurant on your travels to countryside. 

7. Purchase gems and arts from legal authorized dealers and don't forget to get a receipt.

8. Carry some medicine on your trip around the country. Clinics are very few in villages.

9. Oh and one more thing. Toilet papers in your bags!!! Very important especially on train or bus journey.

DON'Ts:

1. Drink Tap Water!!! (Very important - diarrhea from self-experience)

2. Extend your legs towards or cross over elder people. Touching their heads, is of course, also considered as an insolent act.

3. Offer handshakes with a monk.

Burmese people are English literate and so, you can always make use of the lingua franca to ask for directions or contact doctors if you have medical emergencies.