Public transportation in Java

Hi all,

What do you think about the means of transportation in Java ?

Is the network of means of transportation well developed?
What modes of transport are available?

Do you use them?

How much is a fare?

Are they relatively safe?

What is the mean of transportation you use the most in Java?

Thanks in advance for participating!

thanks for your post craig !

You mean in Java. what area Armand?
as I know cuz I live in Central Java near Semarang, it's safe if you take a taxi or busway around Java. Just make sure you take a taxi with agrometer. If you take a public transportation such as bus or angkot just beware of pickpockets.

What a question.

Angkot - a micro bus that may or may not be regulated and may or may not be safe.
There have been a few high profile rape cases of late along with a lot of robberies so be a little careful.

Ojek - motorcycle taxi - don't, they're ruddy dangerous.

Bajai - Small, three wheeled things that are dirty, likely to break down and unsafe. They'll rip you off big style so don't bother.

Trains come in several types:
Local - Non air conditioned cattle wagons and air conditioned commuter trains that are generally overcrowded.
National - Larger. Buy an executive ticket but NEVER eat the food.
The toilets are not quite as terrible as the other trains.

Taxi - Available in larger towns and cities. Many have a minimum fare (Minimum in Purwokerto was Rp15,000). Minimum for Jakarta's Blue bird is Rp30,000 but only if you book by phone.
NEVER use the cheap and nasty taxis. Bad news at best, dangerous at worst.
You may use Blue bird and Express safely.
Blue bird have a handy android app to call their taxis.

Horse and cart - Available in many towns but the drivers will rip you off.

Shank's pony - No pavements (Sidewalks) in most places so face oncoming traffic and get religion.

Intercity coaches.
Non air con - don't unless you like to be in very close quarters to sweaty bodies and not in a nice way.
Air conditioned coaches - book two seats so you can spread out.

Jakarta to Jogjakarta is about 10 hours.

Local buses are usually rusty, massively overcrowded and the drivers all think they're at brand's hatch in pole position.
By drivers, I mean escaped lunatics who have managed to get a driving job.
No air con and no safety.

Roads.
Commonly broken and full of potholes.
That means a rough ride on all types of transport.
If I use long distance, I take an inflatable travel pillow. Works wonders.

I agree with you mas Fred, the best thing is Blue Bird taxi, this taxi is trusted one than any other taxis.
haha..yeah..there's no comfortable if you ride a public transportation especially no AC.
Not only that, even in executive train there are many pickpockets also in airport too. The difference is in airport they work under cover, they rip off the padlock luggage in the baggage checking.
So, don't put the valuable things inside the luggage.
The point is everywhere there are many pickpockets, so just be aware of that! ^^

icecreamjohahae wrote:

Not only that, even in executive train there are many pickpockets also in airport too. The difference is in airport they work under cover, they rip off the padlock luggage in the baggage checking.
So, don't put the valuable things inside the luggage.
The point is everywhere there are many pickpockets, so just be aware of that! ^^

The lower forms of travel are the worst for being hit by thieves as  they are crowded and cheap for the bad guys to travel on.
Executive trains are expensive and non ticket holders, such as vendors, aren't allowed on. Security guards are posted at all doors whist the trains are in the station.
That makes things safer but don't leave your mobile phone on the seat when you go to the toilet.

Airports may have problems but so do western places as the Heathrow baggage thefts demonstrate.
The advice remains sound; never put anything of value in check in luggage.
Also, if your case looks to have been tampered with, check it BEFORE you get to customs.
NEVER carry anything for anybody in an airport, more so if they ask you to.

also nowadays there's a new crime, the stealer hypnotize you when you're in the bad mood or in daydreaming situation. They take the advantage of the situation, after that voila you don't realize the things that you give to the stealer.
n You must beware of other passengers who give you snack, fruits or drinking cans or drinking bottles, They may inject anaesthetic in fruits,snacks or drinking cans/bottles. I read on news, there's a passenger who's not conscious after he accepted drinking from another passenger, the stealer gave anaesthetic in drinking water.
Don't be paranoid, but be careful! ^^

icecreamjohahae wrote:

also nowadays there's a new crime, the stealer hypnotize ...............
.......beware of other passengers who give you snack, fruits or drinking cans or drinking bottles,

I've seen that with a robbery in an Indomaret in Jakarta.

The security camera showed the robbers seemingly having power over the girl behind the counter but never touched her.
Really odd but maybe she was just so shocked at the robbery and simply didn't know what to do.

As for the drinks, it's called Rohypnol but is commonly called the date rape drug.
I've never heard of it being used in Indonesia but that's not to say it hasn't.

yeah..it often happen too at Mini market which open for 24 hour, that's why the government try to advice the owner not to open for long hour.
It's for safety

Seems there is a drug that allows anyone to tell you what to do and you do it without question.
I'll research and get back to you.