Child care in Myanmar

Hi,

when settling in a new country, working parents are mostly concerned about finding child care services for their children.

What can you share with us about the child care system in Myanmar ?

How much is daycare in Myanmar?

Is the staff qualified at these daycare centers?

What are the usual opening hours?

Do they provide other services at the daycare center?

Any daycare center in Myanmar you would like to recommend to other expats? What makes them special?

Thank you for participating! :)

I have been in Yangon to look around for daycare centers but haven't really found at least one yet. I am really concerned for my youngest 4 year old child's safety while I am work and his siblings are at school. Is there any advice I can get to look after him? THANKS.

Hi,
I realize this thread started some time ago, so hope the following information will not be irrelevant now.

I haven't really noticed daycare centers here, per say. There are few international schools that offer pre-K and younger ages.  Network School (British curriculum) is the preferred choice for early education. I believe they start taking children at around age two; however, "school" only lasts for a few hours at that age and there are not extended hours. By age five, children are in school there from 9 (or 9:30) until 2ish.

To fill the void between school hours, many families hire nannies. House-help is relatively inexpensive here. The expat community generally posts on a google group called YEC (Yangon Expat Connection) seeking nannies or other household help. Staff are often recommended to individuals via that forum.

I hope this helps!

Thank you very much for your information, Becky. However, to what extent can my children's behavior be affected with being raised by a nanny? Can you suggest some schools that have 8am to 4pm-ish nursery class?

BV.

I don't think any of the schools have 8am-4pm nurseries, I'm afraid. Not that I am aware of.

I felt the same re: nannies to be honest. I always worked before we moved here + my daughter was in daycare. I preferred this.

Unfortunately, it just doesn't seem to be an option here; however,one of the positive thing about the nannies in Yangon are that they are connected with each other. They often know other nannies that take care of children of a similar age + set-up playgroups/playdates with other kids, so that helps with socialization.

My daughter is in Kindergarten + I do freelance writing from home, so I don't have a nanny; however, I do have someone who helps tidy up the house. She used to be a nanny for other families + is great with kids...so she is willing to occasionally babysit so my husband + I can go out.

I think you will find that - in general - Myanmar people are very loving + friendly/warm towards children. The main criticism I hear is sometimes it may be difficult setting boundaries + making sure that the nannies are not too easy on the children. I would be sure to find someone who you can communicate easily with and set very clear expectations from the out-set. You certainly can have someone who doesn't live at your home + doesn't work on weekends. The best way I know for finding domestic help is through YEC, the Yangon Expat Connection google group. If you post that you're looking for a nanny, then you will get people giving you recommendations.

Unfortunately, because there aren't daycare centers, this is really the only childcare option I'm aware of. I would also find that hard; however, I can say that I have met some lovely women who are nannies. And if you needed to meet some, then I'd be more than happy to talk to the nannies I've met + ask them if they know someone/have a friend who is available +  has worked with expat families.

I hope I'm not giving you misinformation re: nursery classes being very limited in the hours they provide; but I think I'm correct.

Good luck to you!

Thanks Becky. I am sure a nanny would be reliable, at least, more than a daddy who goes to work all day. So, I'll start requesting my fellow only-daddy-friends to get a nanny as soon as possible. Only if they cannot provide any contacts, can I ask you to help me?

Hi
I'm myanmar. I m trying to built an excellent pre-k school. so,pls advise for that. I'd like to join international childcare centre.

Hi, Becky: Thanks for posting. Others have recommended YEC, the Yangon Expat Connection to me for finding household help, but every time I try to register with my google account it rejects me-even though I live and work in Yangon. Any suggestions?

BTW-really enjoyed your blog on adjusting to life here. Great advice.

Tara

Hi I'm looking for part time or full time nanny job, I have a bachelor degree and I can speck Burmese, Chinese and English. I used to work in China for many years as a sales manager. Please give me a chance to have interview if you are looking for a nanny. Thank you.