Reputable computer repair shop in HCMC

I have a 2-year old Windows XP laptop with expired warranty that needs repair (problem appears to be video card). Does anyone know a trustworthy computer repair shop in HCMC? Thanks

Hi saigonmonkey!

Welcome to Expat.com.

Your thread has been moved to the Ho Chi Minh City Forum for greater visibility by Expat.com members in that region.

Hope you get some responses soon.

Kind regards,
Haf

I've used this firm a few times following recommendations from a friend here :-
Quang Tin Co., Ltd, number is 0989 044 022
Name of the guy is Buy Van Dung,
They will come and collect it and return if fixed reasonably fast turn around too.

They don't speak english though.

I work in IT and use them for hardware issues. Blown motherboards etc. Is it a driver issue or a physical ?

I usually bring my pc if i have problems to to Hoang Long Computer  along Nguyen Thi Minh Khai.There is  a guy there who speaks English and is not charging much.His name is Hoang.Email me if you are interested to get his number.

Thanks to all who replied to my post so far. I'll check those places this weekend.

Hi,

I know Kien Tuong Company where they sell computers, laptops n stuffs relating to those to other companies and individuals in the city with wholesale price. I've had my pc n laptop repaired there many times and they don't charge much. The guys over there are quite honest n kind too, they will fix when it's still fixable, instead of telling you to change a new one so that they will get money, like some other companies may do.

I think there is a girl there who can speak English. It is located at the intersection of Bui Thi Xuan - Ton That Tung - Le Thi Rieng, in district 1.

Regards,
J.

Hi all,
This is my follow-up to confirm that ravenous made a good recommendation for the conputer repair. I just returned from Kien Tuong with my repaired computer. It's working great, and ravenous is correct-they are very nice and conscientious there. The girl who speaks English is named Nhu. She sits at the desk nearest the door. Ask for her when you go-she will translate your issue to the repair guys. Also, they let you go in the back room with the repair guy and watch the repair. So no worries about any funny business.
Regards, saigonmonkey

annawang wrote:

I usually bring my pc if i have problems to to Hoang Long Computer  along Nguyen Thi Minh Khai.There is  a guy there who speaks English and is not charging much.His name is Hoang.Email me if you are interested to get his number.

Hoang Long is the bad computer store...as I know.

if you want repair the laptop can go to many stores in Ton That Tung st, dist 1. I recommend "laptop 1000" shop...
I also not belive in Quang Tin in Binh Thanh dist, they are not so professional, we were their customer for previous companies here.

Just some comment,hope the author can deal with your issue smoothly.

Along the same lines. Can any one point me in the direction of a reperepable company that sells real Microsoft software? What I'm looking for is WINOWS 7 and Office 2010. In the box, with the CD. Not just an ISO copy for 200,000 VND. I want the real thing.

Thank-you

Phong Vu on Nguyen Thi Minh Khai Sreet is a big store almost like Best Buy/Radio Shark in US. You can check it out

Although my original post was inquiring about the best shops for computer REPAIR, I will add that if you're purchasing anything new, the best places I've found are Phong Vu, as the previous poster mentioned, and Nguyen Kim, on Tran Hung Dao street, near Ben Thanh market. Actually, Nguyen Kim is more like USA Best Buy, as it sells all types of electronics and appliances, whereas Phong Vu is strictly computer-related. Shop both and compare prices. Depending on what you want, either could be good.

At Phong Vu they do offer REPAIR service similar as Geek Squad service at Best Buy

If you want to buy new computer or moblie phone ect. I think The Gioi Di Dong is a good choice too, as their website is really up to date and I love to check the information before buying something. The price is good and the serviced is okey. As they have many stores so it's not as crowded as Phong Vu.

You can check their website

thegioididong.com/

My PC is has been down for two days, I'm gonna try Kien Tuong out
Thanks for the post guys

I went to "Kien Tuong" yesterday but cannot find it. The address in google maps is 153Bis, Le Thi Rieng, but it ended up with a store selling stuff unrelated to computer. However, I went into a small computer shop nearby, 157 Le Thi Rieng or something. Guys there are very friendly too. A young guy checked my computer, found out nothing was broken. Finally just paid a little money for checkup, cheaper than I expected. I also bought a mouse there with good price.
This may be the best service I had during my stay in Vietnam.

I could not find "kien Tuong" either and went to a place right near where it is or was. It is called KY NGUYEN. Its at 153 Le Thi Rieng. They loaded windows xp, but had vista and windows 7 available, and they also loaded microsoft office and a virus program. It took about two hours and ended up costing 100,000 dong. They do repairs also, he knew a lot about computers and spoke enough english.

For all of you looking for Kien Thuong, unfortunately it appears they went out of business. I went there several months ago to see if they could repair my printer, and it's not there anymore. So now we need to try and find another place. Any ideas?

Sorry, I missed WrightEd's post just before I posted mine. The place he mentions sounds pretty good.

Budman1 wrote:

Along the same lines. Can any one point me in the direction of a reperepable company that sells real Microsoft software? What I'm looking for is WINOWS 7 and Office 2010. In the box, with the CD. Not just an ISO copy for 200,000 VND. I want the real thing.

Thank-you

you can validate your running with MS online and then upgrade to a legal copy

Thanks l3ully, I tried that last year. My XP is street legal but because I have a VN IP they won't sell it (W7) on line as a down load.

Budman1 wrote:

Thanks l3ully, I tried that last year. My XP is street legal but because I have a VN IP they won't sell it (W7) on line as a down load.

I know. The war is still going on. Your country still fighting in the names of MS, PayPal Graiglist and many others.
And then they complain about the illegal software. We needed for a customer about 3 years ago a licence for a 2008 SMB server. That took 12 (!!!!!!) weeks, with cheating, lies and hacks. Without that, our customer still would not be able to use it.

Now they have a rep office in Hanoi, you can do it via there.

As a matter of fact, people, who do discriminate like this, I would not even shoot them money.
There are good working alternatives for everything.

"Now they have a rep office in Hanoi, you can do it via there."

Tried that also last year, two phone calls and three e-mails no reply from either. Thanks anyway. I'll get somebody to bring the over when they visit. No hurry, XP is still good till 2013.

I went to Phong Vu but cannot find it .I went to computer emerency  Center PCTECH near Cong Hoa St- Tan Binh District ,A guy checked my laptop found out nothing was broken he clean my laptop and also free ,that is door to door repair services !He' very funny ,i dont't remember his name  .  Phone number of his is 0936102287  .Thanks !!

Hi All:
Since many of the local shops are here today, gone tomorrow, I thought I would post here again to get the latest input on computer repair shops. My laptop is working, but one of the hinges between the keyboard and the screen is broken. I'm sure it will require a new part. I already tried super-glue and it wouldn't hold.

Has anyone here had a recent good repair experience at a HCMC computer repair shop?

Thanks.

Head to bui thi xuan, q1:-)  can find out many shops with technician.
Anyway it's difficult here to find out a 'real technician'. When I try to fix my laptop problems with many gys, it gave me big head ache. When I fed up, just copy all files from that and bought a new from viettel outlet with reasonable price:-)

SM, what make\model is it? Bought here in VN or outside?

If the hinge is broekn, I supsect a new screen will be in order. around $90 to replace.

I've had numerous laptops repaired, if you give me the details I'll get the contact details for you.

Hi Laidbackfreak,
I just sent you a PM with the details.
SM

I agree, Phong Vu is a good big computer store, on the first floor they have a service and repair department. I bought all my factory and office comuters and printers here

Today I've been to Phong Vu Computers. They send me to there computer service. There place are not far for the store. People there are very nice. Some of them can speak English. I broke touch screen on my new laptop. They sad that not possible to change only screen. They need to change all display. That will cost me 3. 250. 000 which is now about 160 us dollars. I think this price is normal for changing display. What do you think guys?

Laptop touch screen unit is bit expensive than other parts  :)
If it's a normal screen it just cost $40-80 if you buy the screen and replace. When a technician replace it, of course more money to pay!

yuliasense wrote:

Today I've been to Phong Vu Computers. They send me to there computer service. There place are not far for the store. People there are very nice. Some of them can speak English. I broke touch screen on my new laptop. They sad that not possible to change only screen. They need to change all display. That will cost me 3. 250. 000 which is now about 160 us dollars. I think this price is normal for changing display. What do you think guys?

christiaanromme wrote:

I agree, Phong Vu is a good big computer store, on the first floor they have a service and repair department. I bought all my factory and office comuters and printers here

If someone stays in this hcm long enough, he would never choose to buy anything from Phong Vu.

That's not true  :)
I bought a Transcend external HDD last time from there with a cheap price than other shops! (Normally I search many places before buy something  ;)  )
Another time we went there to buy laptop but couldn't because of their 'special rules' and behavior. After that we went to  Viettel shop and bought it with cheap price than PV.

Tailpiece: Check prices and services before you buy anything!

Dejavu.dot wrote:

If someone stays in this hcm long enough, he would never choose to buy anything from Phong Vu.

Why is that? Whats wrong with this store?

charmavietnam wrote:

That's not true  :)
I bought a Transcend external HDD last time from there with a cheap price than other shops! (Normally I search many places before buy something  ;)  )
Another time we went there to buy laptop but couldn't because of their 'special rules' and behavior. After that we went to  Viettel shop and bought it with cheap price than PV.

Tailpiece: Check prices and services before you buy anything!

Dejavu.dot wrote:

You misunderstood me. Phong Vu sells products which are made from China. With the same laptop there, I can buy it with cheaper price, nearly the same price in USA and it is imported from USA. For the other small parts like HDD which was made from china, I can book from taobao cos I usually ship products to VN. I can tell you, it is much cheaper too.

I am living in Vietnam and once time, my computer is hit by virus unexpectedly and at the most inopportune time. However, thanks to VNRepair service to help me to you get things back up and running quickly with extensive PC repair service.
If you guys currently live in Ho Chi Minh city and have problems about laptop, you are able to try this service!

Excuse me sir, could I ask you something?

Hello Laidbackfreek. I need to replace a screen of a Mac Pro. Appreciate if you can supply details of repair shop; many thanks.

LSP123 wrote:

Hello Laidbackfreek. I need to replace a screen of a Mac Pro. Appreciate if you can supply details of repair shop; many thanks.

Because of the broken screen you didn't see the date on Laidbackfreek's post... :lol: