3 things to note when you go Myanmar

Buddhist country -so they are friendly and is a safe place to be
but is backward

Shopping tips - No credit cards and traveller's cheque accepted. Bring US dollars. The currency is in kat (pronounced as Chat)
US$1 to about k800

Custom check- remember to get your purchase receipts for verificatio at custom. It will be complicated if you purchase Jewellery from unauntorized dealer

And Lastly, Your Smart phones will not be that smart there as the connectivity is a major problem. Short of relay towers and everywhere

I am helping foreigners' enquiry in setting up business in Myanmar. Yangon or Mandalay

Thanks markyap for sharing the information

No problem

Thanks for the great tips markyap.

Could I ask you, what is the electrical grid infrastructure like? is there regular electricity in the cities uninterrupted 24 hours 7 days a week?

power are general up but there will be some point where it will "flicker" then up again. Not all the time. So don't be alarmed. Hotels have back up generator so no worries.

I beg to differ - unless the situation has changed dramatically in the last two years since I left Yangon in 2010, there are still quite long power cuts in many districts. You are certainly right about the hotels - all mid-range and upper-class hotels have generators, so do many shops and businesses, for a generator is essential in Myanmar, as is a back-up water supply (for an expat, not a tourist, these are probably the most important things to keep in mind when looking for a place to live)

you can be right about it. 2 years and the changes may not be significant. Yangon and Mandalay are the 2 most populated states, but yet backward

Hi Mark,

Can I check if electrical appliances bought in Singapore can be used in Yangon?  Is the power plug & voltage the same?

Thanks in advance!

Hello Mopeey,

I believe there are mostly 2 pin plugs over here but 3 pin ones have been installed recently.

BV.

Hi..Mark

I would like to know what do it need to do in Mandalay in order to become P.R there. Would buying a house and starting a small business there be able to help me get P.R

I am also a Singaporean.Would want to sell my flat and move to Mandalay. Kindly like me know what should i do for starters..

Thank you.
Pierre lee

Hi Lee ,

This is Frank .I will call you ,once I arrive back to Singapore .Here is my h.p number 65-98437635 or contact [email protected].

Regards ,

Frank

How is the current infrastructure of water,electricity, communications, and transport in the major cities?