Job proposal in Noumea

Myself and my husband has been offered a project close to Noumea and we are anticipating the proposal however we have not a lot of knowledge of the country, apart from a cruise in my early twenties.

We are a widely travelled family however we do not speak French except for high school lessons many years ago.  We have a 12 year old girl who is excited by the adventure however I wonder how difficult it will be to settle when when we do not speak fluent French.  As a family, should we accept the offer, we intend to get lessons however I am a little worried how difficult it will be. 

Can anyone advise us on what to expect so that we can make a valued decision.
Thanks

More info needed.

Hi,

I have been an expat here for 2.5 years and whilst it is very expensive it is not a bad place to live.  I should point out tho' that I am Australian and therefore it is very close and I am able to go home quite easily if I want.  I have some Canadian friends who whilst they enjoy the lifestyle do miss their families and find the distance hard at times.  With regard to being a non-french speaker, it really is not too big a problem as a lot of people speak english and are happy to help.  You can also take lessons which will help.  I had no french whatever when I first arrived (not even high school french) but did not have too many problems to start with, my french has improved considerably since then.  As far as schools go, there is James Cook which is an English School and a lot of english speaking expats send their children their and they are taught french as well. Hope this helps and if you need anymore information I am happy to try and help.

Jo

Hi Jo, thanks for your response.  We still have some final details to sort out with our job offer however it is looking very positive.  We are taking some French lessons and intend to continue them if and when we move.  I am hoping you could help me and provide a contact number or email address for James Cook International school.  Their web page is currently under construction so have been unable to make contact to ask the necessary questions.  Thank you for any assistance out can offer.

No worries, I will find out the contact information and let you know ASAP.

Cheers

Jo

Contacts for JCIS:

For High school:

Tel: (687) 462646
Fax: (687) 462647
Email: [email protected]

For Primary:

Tel: (687) 284712
Fax: (687) 284715
Email: [email protected]

Hope this helps, if you need any more information or have trouble getting through let me know.  I have a couple of friends whose children are at JC so can ask them.

Cheers

Jo

Hi Jo, thanks for your help.  I will update you on our progress to our possible relocation to Noumea.

Regards
Kathy