Street foods in Jakarta

Hi guys, it looks like I will be moving to Jakarta at the end of June! I am particularly excited about the food :)
So, what are the street foods like? Favorites? Things to avoid? My nose, taste buds, and stomach tend to lead the way when I travel. Any recommendations?  Cheers.

There are plenty of real street food in Jakarta, though when you are not an Indonesian, you will most likely have a stomach problem after consuming it.

Try the food in small Indonesian restaurants first (kiosks) and see if you can cope with it. When you want to try the street food, observe the way the vendors process their food ( the water to clean the dishes, look for vendors who uses tools such as fork,spoon, spatula. Try to avoid vendors who uses their hands to mix the ingredients etc)

Bakso is a must try, the ones at restaurants are usually not as good as the ones on the street. Indonesians love chili sauce, ketchup look-alike but made out of chili. We consume it with almost every street food! Bakso, Siomay, Bakwan, fritters and more. Some even put it on their pizzas!

The price of street food in Jakarta is ranging between 500-20.000 IDR ( Less than 2 dollars)
My favorite would be Bebek Goreng with spicy sambal. It's a meal consists of steamed rice, fried duck thats already simmered beforehand, sambal and raw veggies on the side to go along with the sambal (traditional home made chili sauce) such as cabbage,cucumber,basil and lettuce.

Dont consume ice cubes from the street, go with the cold bottled drinks if you must. Bring wipes to clean your fork and spoon. Jakarta's air is very much polluted. Dust everywhere.

Enjoy Jakarta!

Tricks to remember:

Buy it 'dibunkus' (Wrapped up).
A lot of the problems aren't with street food but the way they wash the dishes. They use dirty water, I've even seen them washing in a drain.
If you get it wrapped and take your own plastic knife, fork and spoon, far safer.

See if they freshly cook BEFORE you buy. Food left out for a long time can be a problem.
Hot oil destroys any bacteria so you're pretty much safe.

Rancid smell means their oil has a high PV. This is usually down to overuse.
In turn, that means they're saving money where they shouldn't so you may be buying poor quality stuff (That tastes pretty lousy).

mas fred wrote:

Tricks to remember:

A lot of the problems aren't with street food but the way they wash the dishes. They use dirty water, I've even seen them washing in a drain.
If you get it wrapped and take your own plastic knife, fork and spoon, far safer.

See if they freshly cook BEFORE you buy. Food left out for a long time can be a problem.

In turn, that means they're saving money where they shouldn't so you may be buying poor quality stuff (That tastes pretty lousy).

Really???!!! Because I eat the street food almost every day with local friends and they told me that is no problem.
Why have eaten for a month and I also did not feel uncomfortable???

ethancai wrote:
mas fred wrote:

Tricks to remember:

Really???!!! Because I eat the street food almost every day with local friends and they told me that is no problem.

Luck of the draw.
I can post a couple of pictures of street vendors washing dishes in drains if you don't think it happens.
Lots more use a bucket but don't change the water all night.

ethancai wrote:
mas fred wrote:

Tricks to remember:

You have a very strong stomach, buddy :-)

Some vendors reuse chopsticks made from wood and drinking straws as well, seen this around Puri Indah in the west of the city. Go where the locals go as they know which vendors are the best.

lukereg wrote:

Some vendors reuse chopsticks made from wood and drinking straws as well, seen this around Puri Indah in the west of the city. Go where the locals go as they know which vendors are the best.

Someone else who walks around with his eyes open.
Most local food is pretty great but hygiene rules are lax or simply don't exist.

That's why I order food wrapped up and use my own kit.
I can't find the ones where people are washing dishes in the drains but this is the wash bucket at a fried rice place.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e294/realindonesia/05052010279.jpg

ethancai wrote:

Yes, really.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e294/realindonesia/19052010464.jpg

And they dont even use washing soap, simply throw the leftover to the side of the road/river/curb then clean the dishes in the bucket full of water that they have been using over and over again.

Though some vendors would put banana leaf or plastic paper on top of the plate (like the one they use for take aways) which is safer,ofcourse.

Best advice if you want to eat street food would be

1. Like Mas Fred alresdy said, ask "di bungkus" and eat it at home/ at your work place with your own fork and spoon.

2. Watch how vendors prepare their food before you decide to buy

3. There are plenty of food vendors selling their food in a housing complex, you can just run out of the house, ask the guy to stop, order and dont forget to use your own plate/bowl and enjoy it at home.

4. Bring wipes/wet tissue , fork/spoon from home.

5. Dont use the ketchup they have , they made out of "not so fresh" tomatoes. Go figure.

Hi

Firstly please introduce your self, but to get started street food in Indonesia especially Jakarta are a lot and so many different style, mix and taste. Feel free to contact anyone on this blog in jakarta, just drop a message.

Wow seem so many have commented on this topic, but still love Jakarta's street food. I usually look at the place first and watch my plate and spoon :)

fourwilly wrote:

Wow seem so many have commented on this topic, but still love Jakarta's street food. I usually look at the place first and watch my plate and spoon :)

I eat street food a lot and I love it.
You just have to choose wisely.

Dont eat street food particularly at the  beginning.. When you get used to of Indonesia then eat but with care..

I ate great street food as well as I ate disgusting street food that caused me digestive problems for several days. I would recommend you to get used to local food from some "better looking" warungs and then to try some HC lowcost warung :D It may taste really good, but you'd better not be curious about the origin of the food and about the hygiene :D

A good alternative ; make your own "street food" at home!
Or foodcourt is better, andyou can find many things all in one place.

mas fred wrote:
fourwilly wrote:

I eat street food a lot and I love it.
You just have to choose wisely.

have u try nasi goreng kambing kebon sirih?

nasi goreng mas fred will be better...

no sosis..(i know you need that still,mas fred)

I have watched Nasi Goreng Kambing Kebon Sirih on TV, they make a big batch of Nasi Goreng each day in a massive wok. Its interesting, I should probably check it out.

Street food is good. Im veggi so i love gado2. Cah kangkung, tempe,nasi uduk taste great too. For me street food is ok when eaten in moderation. If i eat it every day it messes up my stomach. Occasionally seems fine.

Street food can be delicious and cheap but it absolutely depends which stall you are buying it from. I would get recommendations from friends or at least buy where you see lots of customers. Otherwise have some Imodium on hand. The tasty ones are nasi goreng, tempe goreng, gado-gado, nasi uduk, and also small warungs that sell ayam bakar and ikan bakar are usually pretty good as they are usually more established. Chicken sate and beef satay are good but you need to choose the right place to buy it.

Try Sate Ayam and Nasi Goreng first..It's one of the most famous food here..then later you can explore food at lowcost warungs , they normally called WARTEG! But not guarantee it's hygiene  :D

I would suggest nasi Padang for start.  Just choose which you like (rendang, chicken, fish with little bit of cassava leave or jack fruit in coconut milk sauce)...  see if you like it.

i6uest wrote:

I would suggest nasi Padang for start.  Just choose which you like (rendang, chicken, fish with little bit of cassava leave or jack fruit in coconut milk sauce)...  see if you like it.

It's my favourite. However, for some it can  be quite spicy. I remember visiting a padang restaurant with some friends and a New Zealand guy went bright red with tears and snot streaming down his face and his sweater glands went into overdrive. And the rest of us found it not that spicy.... ;)

Yes, agree with MikeWallace. Padang food isnt recommended for a start, could be overwhelming for beginners. Instead,try food like Bakso or Mie Ayam from a foodcourt first (you can add the spicy sauce yourself when you think you can handle it) also foodcourt are usually cleaner,since they have clean water source,even though most of the times the taste is not better than the ones on the street (then again many streetfood vendors use MSG such as Mi-won,Sa-sa etc).

With all that being said, I love streetfood! I have quite a few of Indonesian food pictures on my Blog if you guys keen to take a look www.epicuriousannie.com

Sophie Fisher wrote:

Yes, agree with MikeWallace. Padang food isnt recommended for a start, could be overwhelming for beginners. Instead,try food like Bakso or Mie Ayam from a foodcourt first (you can add the spicy sauce yourself when you think you can handle it) also foodcourt are usually cleaner,since they have clean water source,even though most of the times the taste is not better than the ones on the street (then again many streetfood vendors use MSG such as Mi-won,Sa-sa etc).

With all that being said, I love streetfood! I have quite a few of Indonesian food pictures on my Blog if you guys keen to take a look www.epicuriousannie.com

I got to admit, I love Soto Betawi too. Not spicy and so yummy...!

MikeWallace77 wrote:
Sophie Fisher wrote:

I got to admit, I love Soto Betawi too. Not spicy and so yummy...!

I'm not sure if I've tried Soto Betawi, but does it contain milk in it? like, cow milk instead of coconut milk.
I should get my self a portion to find out. haha

Hmmm, not sure how they make it or whether it has coconut milk or cows milk. I always thought it was coconut milk. It's a slightly sweet which is also why I like it. Whenever we're in Kelapa Gading Mall then we usually get it at the Eat and Eat Food Market.

i can suggest you to eat like street food sate ayam, sate kambing or pecel lele (cat fish)...u can try also the masakan padang or wartung cuisine...if u like fish u can go to Bandar Jakarta in Ancol. Indonesian people add to food a lot of spicy flavour...be careful at the vegetables if it isn't fresh maybe it make you hurt.

Bandar Jakarta is our favourite restaurant in Ancol, the seafood is amazing, just need to get there before the crowds arrive.

Hi Sophie

I am very curious after a Indonesian friend of mine claimed that most of the Street vendors and even warteks use beef fats in the food..
even for a vegetables they use some beef fats!
I can understand if its for nonveg food... but veg food...
Any idea if this is true?

I've watched a lot of vendors preparing food, but I've yet to see that.
However, I don't generally see the pre-street preparation, so they could easily add something without me seeing it.
I have seen bakso and tofu being made - I eat neither.

Beef fats would normally be halal here, so very few people would care if they did add them.

@Fred
My friend claims the beef fat is used as oil to fry most of the stuff and even used in preparing various vegetable at warteks..
Yes its doesn't matter to locals as they are mostly beef eaters...
Well it would be shocking for them if they travel to some country and end up eating Pork fat oiled up food... lol
There is just no information regarding oil used in Indonesian restaurants and streets.
This is shocking!
Is there no govt agencies monitoring, the quality and content in these restaurants..

viewedit wrote:

@Fred
My friend claims the beef fat is used as oil to fry most of the stuff and even used in preparing various vegetable at warteks..

Is there no govt agencies monitoring, the quality and content in these restaurants..

That's unlikely. Veg oil is far cheaper than any animal fats, so poor vendors are very unlikely to add extra costs that'll cut into their tiny profits.
However, I could see them soaking product in animal fats to enhance the flavour.
I haven't seen it, but it wouldn't surprise me to find out it happened.

As for government agencies - very little going to happen there. Most vendors are unofficial and I've yet to see anyone take a close look at anything they do, even when they wash dishes in the drains.

This is shocking!

Have you been in Indonesia long?  :D

On a note that'll probably interest you, I intend to make a short video about Indonesian food.
Lack of time and serious plan means it'll probably be done in bits and pieces, so take a while to complete.
I have interest in another little project as well, but I'm keeping that under my hat.

We're talking youtube here, not the professional stuff I understand you're into.

Hang on - my brain has just slipped into gear, and my foot slammed down on the gas.

I'm taking a shot you're an Indian, probably a Hindu, so interested in any animal products that could find its way into your food.

Is my wild shot in the dark close to the bullseye?

I came back 20 days ago to mumbai.. will be back in Jakarta probably in few months... came here to organise funds for a new production house which wants to make indonesian movies.. I am employed as their in house film director...
Imagine i am employee and they asking me to garner funds for their films...lol

Fred wrote:

Hang on - my brain has just slipped into gear, and my foot slammed down on the gas.

I'm taking a shot you're an Indian, probably a Hindu, so interested in any animal products that could find its way into your food.

Is my wild shot in the dark close to the bullseye?

I have been working in indonesia previously for 4 years.. and i have been asking locals about this oil thing because of my Hi cholestrol problem.. no one seems to know anything.. this time around someone told me about beef fat..
It doesnt matter to me if its beef fat or pork fat untill and unless I know it.. lol