Moving to Nicaragua, need advice

Hi,

I would like to communicate with Ex Pats living in Nicaragua who would give  me pointers so I may decide on whether or not it would be a good move.

I have lived in Costa Rica for 3 years and in Panama for 1 and quite used to living the "Latino way". Due to family matters, I had to move back to Canada 2 years ago and  now want to expatriate once again but every site and forum I've visited so far are biased (owned and moderated by real-estate people, immigration lawyers, writers selling their e-books or guides, etc.).

So, if anyone living in Nicaragua who aren't selling anything and wouldn't mind a little "brain picking", please send me an email or reply to this post.

Gracias,
Gene
:whistle:

Hi Raygene,

Am currently here in Nicaragua and have heard of some who has moved from Costa Rica to here for various reasons (work, cost of living, etc). 
I would recommend the Nicaliving site (www.nicaliving.com). There, you'd be able to read blogs / forums ranging from 'I love it here -to- I hate it here' (and the comments from other readers and members). The site also has a 'how-to' section of...everything (relocating, taxes, domestic help, residency, etc) and of course photos of diff parts of the country - by the members....It's a big site, so as long as you have the patience to search, that site holds a wealth of information about Nicaragua, it's culture, people, perils, etc.

We are not selling anything here (at the moment :D). We are with the diplomatic corp, so i guess, unbiased as unbiased can get :)  I'd do better answering specific questions you may have, though. Goodluck.

Thanks Deedee,

Bookmarked nicaliving and will search for my answers there. If ever there are a couple of specific questions to which I can't find an answer, I'll send them your way.

Once again, thanks
Gene

Just curious Gene, are you here yet? Did you make the decision to move?

Freesia

Hi Raygene although I do sell computer services here I hope I can give you some real answers about living here.  I live in San Juan del Sur a beautiful fishing village turned tourist destination.  It's an exciting little place and although the economy in the country is dipressed this area does well because of tourism, fishing and construction are very active here.  This place has something for everyone as I see people from many countries and all ages comming to move here but I must admit it is for the more adventurous.  You should be ready to not have all the conveniences of the new world and adapt to a slower lifestyle.

Hello
I see all the posting are very old so hope you can give me updated info. I have the chance to move to Nicaragua (Managuas) I need info about personal safety, health and city living over all since I have my wife and kid, and want to make sure they can live well, and safely move around Nicaragua with out problems. So all about safety, Clinics, services, Shopping or grocery. Thanks

Hi there, I hope someone can give me an advice...I am married to American citizen who is currently working in the USA...we both wanna see each other often so he asked me if I could go to Nicaragua and be a resident there for good because its near the US and even retire in Nicaragua someday...Is it possible for me to have a residency card? My source of income is only through my husband. I quit the job after I got married...someone pls help...need infos..Do I have to stay in Nicaragua first before getting a residency and how long would it take for me to get one?

Hi. My name is Rick 52 and my wife Sherry 50 are wanting to move to Nicaragua. We know nothing about it. We would love an expat to talk us through it. We really need to know about the medical care situation and getting prescriptions filled, my wife suffers from cronic pain since 1982, she was hit by a drunk driver. Also the REAL amount, US $ / month , it takes to live "comfortably", not fancy. Any help would be appreciated.

[email protected]

While in Nicaragua you might want to bring stuff from the US. I recommend choosing the right company for this. [Moderated]

Good Morning I am a new member and I will be Moving to Nicaragua in two years I am starting now to get ready for all I need to do so I need help.. my girl here in the usa is from Nicaragua and still has family there. I know they will help but still there is a lot that I need to do and know before we move.  transfer of money,, open bank account,, or just write my self a check,, i hear that is diffcult to do,, trying to decide rent or buy??? I know that is a lot but as you know there is a lot to do before we move HELP

[Moderated: No self promotion please]