Doing business in Colombia

Hi,

are foreign investors welcome in Colombia?

Is it complicated to register a company in Colombia? What is the procedure?

What is the corporate tax rate in Colombia?

Is it easy to recruit?

Any advice you would share with us?

Thank you very much for your participation,

Julien

Julien,
It is actually not difficult. Foreign investors are very welcomed and well received. The setting of a new company is not complicated at all. You will be able to find very professional advice in the legal, tax, finance, labor, and all fields necessary for the smooth running of a business venture, best of all is that you will find representation of Internationally recognized firms such as KPMG, HSBC, for these type of matters if that is your preference, however there are very capable local professionals that can assist you in the subject. The parcel service counts with several of the world's top players which is also a plus and you can always get in contact easily with most of the diplomatic representations of the world which in most cases would have a commercial arm who can assist you.
Julien on top of the above you can always get a hold of individuals like myself who can also be of valuable support if you choose to take a step in this wonderful and full of opportunities country which is in the early stages of many newly signed FTA's with Countries such as Canada, USA, Panamá, Turkey, Korea and others. Feel free to write back if you need further information.
Good Luck and all success in your ventures.
Leonardo T.

I too am interested in starting a small business in Colombia but can't seem to get any information but a very convoluted series of blog and forums which make little sense to me.  I am retired and live in Plano, Texas.  I have a new business model of a former business I owned here, Cookie Bouquet, which I would like to start in Bogota or Medellin.  I formerly owned and operated a franchise in Dallas which restricted the franchise from offering several products which would have permitted more profitability but the main change I am going to incorporate in my model is producing all the products including the delivery bouquets, individual cookies and gift arrangements in an off-site baking, decorating and packaging shop and then selling them in kiosks throughout  the city mainly in mall kiosks.  The revenues should be more than quadruple the strip center shop sales.  I'm going to need to find an entrepreneur to set up the first business and then I plan to franchise the additional one with me going to each location to set them up.  If you don't know what these products are, you can check out Cookie Bouquet, Mrs. Field's and Nestle Toll House Cafes on the internet.  Let me know if you are interested  in this concept.  All the best, Ron Buice, Plano, Texas  972-836-2382.    I speak reasonably good Spanish but am taking an advanced course from Pimlesure.

Thank you for this information, Leonardo! :)

Any time, just let me know if someone needs specific details from this part of the world.:top:

I have posted a mesaageseveral months ago and have received a reply from jonnsmith5 but am unable to get it to come up.  My PC keeps giving me an "unable to access message" response.  Very frustrating.  [email protected]

Hi Ron
We have only just discovered this site and would like to know if you was successful in starting up in Colombia.

We are aiming to move completely from the UK this year, home no issue, but would like to find a thriving business to get involved with.

Regards

Mike & Cristina

07795032427 (0044 UK)

Hi Mike,
I just received your message.  I have not gotten any answer from my inquiry except yours.  I'm not sure why it takes so long to find someone who has an interest in my ideas for a business in Colombia. In any event, I have decided to pursue another location and have visited Panama where I believe my business model will work even better.
The fact is that I have owned a several small businesses including one in Hong Kong following an assignment there by my employer, AT&T as a regional manager.
The easiest and simplest one is the Cookie Bouquet shop which my wife and I owned in Dallas for 3 years (2000-2003).  Problem with it was that it was a strict franchise and allowed only a limited offering of products and single shop location.  This is the problem with most franchises like CB, Mrs.Field's, Nestle Toll House Cafe, Cupcakes3, Nothing Bundt Cakes, Cinnabon, etc.  Additionally, franchisees are limited to single fixed locations and detailed sales reporting with exhorbitant royalty fees.
My business model incorporates all or some of each franchises products marketed in multiple venues using a small off-street baking facility fron which all products are produced, decorated, packaged and delivered to mall kiosks and to individual recipients as gifts.  I have retained a complete 6-book set of operational instruction and training manuals and can actually implement this business anywhere there is a demographic with a reasonable based of customers (say 250K+ in population) in a 5-10 miles radius from the shop.  Obviously, it can work in Medelin or Bogota, possibly in several locations and malls.
All these products are handmade and arranged by a small staff and the equipment costs are minimal.  This is a unique concept and I believe can be most profitable (also a lot of small cash transactions). I can make this clearer by phone but need you to check out the sites I mentioned.  Let me know when will be a good time to call. Do you use Skype?
All the best, Ron Buice, Houston, Texas (recently moved from Plano.
P.S. By the way, the canal is doubling in size and significance.

How did the business idea go, I interested to know how people are getting on with new businesses in Colombia. I'm based there.

Hi Don,
It is still an opportunity for a smart entrepreneur to grab.  I have decided that I am going to find a partner for a shop in Panama as I feel the growth potential is much greater there.  I am perfectly willing to come to Colombia to set up a licensee if you would like and just charge a licensing fee.  Selling the idea is not required since all four of the shops I am incorporating are already very sucessful in the states but each requires a franchise fee and onging royalties not to mentions each is restricted to their individual product line.  Being able to open as many satellite sales locations is icing on the cake as they say. You can contact me at [email protected] or 1-972-836-2382.  I am in the process of introducing this to the international business women's association and expect to receive many inquiries since this will fit the criteria they neeed to easily start a new business anywhere there are consumers with a reasonable degree of wealth plus just plain cookie/cupcake lovers.  If you have not research the franchise offerings I've mentioned, please do so.  All the best, Ron Buice

looking to start a business in santa marta colombia

hello , well I have been thinking about starting a business  santa marta and would like to know more about this city.. what are some of the do's and don'ts to get an idea to see if some of my business ideas would be successful.. Please if you can share some of your thoughts and ideas or experiences that you have been threw  with me I would love to know and learn from them.. I am very open to good and bad comments.

thanks Mikel

Just was wondering if you got your business in Santa Marta.  It's awesome there by the way I'm moving to Barranquilla soon! I was wondering if you needed any help

Still in the works. Had to do alot of research but slowly chipping way. While doing that im also in the process trying to buy property there as well. So couple of projects so all are taking there time.. Thanks for asking. So your moving to B. Whats bringing there? May I ask.

My wife is from there.  She is actually there now visiting family.  And I will be there at the end of January.  I will be in Santa Marta too soaking up the beach too on the last weekend of January.  It would be cool to meet some good American friends in Santa Marta or at least see your shop if you got one in the works.  I'm from Central IL
My name is Jason by the way.

Jason, Can you please send me your email address. I'm from Atlanta and retired, living in Houston. I was in USAF at Rantoul for 3 1/2 years at Chanute AFB.  Worked for Lanier for 18 years and AT&T for 6 years in Texas and Hong Kong.  I owned a Cookie Bouquet shop in Dallas and want to open a modified version to operate in kiosks in malls. Very little startup costs. No franchise fees or royalties.  Incorporates products of CB (cookiesbydesign.com), Mrs. Fields, Nutty Bavarian and a couple of other shops. Need majority partner for business in Bogota or Medellin.  I have all the franchise manuals and training videos plus most of the necessary equipment. Let me know if you are interested. Ron Buice ***

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

How did it go? Did you start a business in Colombia or in Panama?

We  bought a small dairy farm in Manizales.   I'll say that Manizales could use a decent cookie/bakery place aka more American.  They have bakarias here but they are very dense, flavor less cookies... your only competition here would  be the Bakaria that makes a good pan de chocolate.