Shipping a TV from U.S to Saudi Arabia- HELP!

Hi guys,

I will be moving to Jeddah next month. I want to ship a 60-inch Panasonic Plasma TV from the US with a value of $3375. This TV will not be available to buy in the Middle East, so the only option I have is to ship it from the US. I know it's a lot of money for a TV, but I will keep it for 10 years.

How can I go about this? Anyone have any rough idea on how much it will cost me to ship it? And how much customs or taxes I have to pay at the port in Jeddah?

Look at http://www.extrastores.com/Site/index.aspx
Not worth to bring 60" Plasma when for much less you can get here or even for less upgrade to 60" LED.

To be honest, am not sure that it's a good idea. Only yesterday I was talking to an American guy and he told me that he had his IPad shipped from the States and it was “lost” on the way, so he used the insurance money to buy a new one here (3 months process).
Contact one of your courier service providers (UPS, DHL…) and let them quote you. No taxes are applied in Saudi Arabia, only a 2.5% customs and that will not apply on personal stuff. So no extra charges for your shipment.

horrible idea.
buy a projector and carry it

ahmadaq wrote:

No taxes are applied in Saudi Arabia, only a 2.5% customs and that will not apply on personal stuff. So no extra charges for your shipment.

Even for a brand new product?

is a 60" tv really that important?
yuo can buy it here for the 1k it will cost you to ship it

there is so much to do in jeddah, no reason to waste time on such trivial things

lol maybe you're right. The funny thing is im not even a TV person, but I do love sports. That's all I watch - football. Sometimes movies too but not a huge fan or anything. But I was thinking maybe set up a nice home cinema because there might not be much to do in Saudi?

there is as much as you want to do

if you WANT to find something to do, you will.  if you want to be lazy, you will.

GL with football anyways over here lol

bring a projector with you.  thats what i do.  100" screen for xbox when i play, and me and the wife have a nice movie night

Yes even for a brand new products :D

Your US tv will NOT work here. .

nana84046 wrote:

Your US tv will NOT work here. .

Now I am curious about this comment.  And why will a US tv not work in the Magic Kingdom?

I can't believe no one has told you this. I brought mine over, I was told not to by our company, guess what they don't work. . I will find the technical answer for you.

They have a PAL system, and although you will be told to buy a converter, it will not do the job. You can buy eautiful t 's here.

nana84046 wrote:

I can't believe no one has told you this. I brought mine over, I was told not to by our company, guess what they don't work. . I will find the technical answer for you.

I am not a big tv watcher so I never even considered bringing my tv here (I can think of more interesting/fun things to spend money on than shipping tv - but that's just me!)

I, seriously, am just curious why it will not work here.

You could convert the t. But not the satellite system. . If you want to just play games or hook up DVD , br etc. go ahead. I live here,  I am not just filling you full. It is the truth.

nana84046 wrote:

You could convert the t. But not the satellite system. . If you want to just play games or hook up DVD , br etc. go ahead. I live here,  I am not just filling you full. It is the truth.

I am not doubting you!  I am not an engineer by any stretch of the imagination.  I was just curious that's all.  No worries.

No NTSC signal here.<3

Look up "Extra Electronic Stores" and "E-max Electronic stores"   You can see what you can buy here and for how much.  You will be surprized.   Second  when you arrive get a sattelite receiver from Danube Stores for 299 SAR and it comes with ten HD Channels and an empty additional slot for a card then for $600 SAR you can get AlJazeera Sports package for one year.   ESPN, ESPN America, ESPN Classic, Fox Sports and NBA along with around 15 HD Channels most of which have soccer games from all over the globe.   I do not remeber the name of the electronic store that sells the AlJazeera card but it is located on Prince Sultan Street in the Al Salaama shopping center south of the Delifrance Restaurant.  If you do not have a sattlelite dish were you live you can also get one cheaply installed from stores accross Hera Street from the Heera International Mall on the corner of Madinah.

Oh most of the TV's here are both PAL and USA compartable as well as the DVD and Surround Systems.  Verify when you buy them also make sure they work with dual current most decent sets will but if you buy a cheapo it might not. In case you go back you can take with you if you become enamored with the new system but again it is not a good idea.

Yes the TV's you buy here are compatible to us . but not the other way around.

What?

So if I ship this TV to Jeddah, it might not even work?! Why not? It's a very expensive TV, so it has all the latest features.

Why cant I watch OSN or other satellite channels on it?

what part of NTSC and PAL did you not get?

dont be dumb. leave the electronics at home and buy them here.
only thing worth bringing is a pojector and if you want to have to hunt for games, xbox/ps3 as well as your computers/phones/tablets

everything else, buy here

Then do what you want and do not waste evryones time asking for advice from people who have "been there and done that".

Of course I will take advise if I actually understand it.

I know American Televisions use NTSC, while the Saudis use PAL. But I read somewhere that OrbitShowtime decoder box has in its options to set the color system of TV to (1)PAL, NTSC or AUTO. If you set it to NTSC why wouldn't it work?

I guess I need to find out if the decoders are multi-signal.

you are picking such a stupid thing to worry about

what if it gets damaged in transit
Guess what.  the US warranty isnt good in saudi arabia.
Now you have someone that the shipping company says is qualified (which you dont know) to fix it, and parts are notoriously hard to get ahold of for cars let alone "high end TVs"
also, if you are spending enough time inside to warrant the need to pay to have your TV shipped here, Buy OSN and sit in front of it that much...you are doing it wrong.

moral of the story.  But a 42" tv here for like 300-400 USD and be done with it.  save alot of trouble, alot of worry, and then sell it before you leave.

Or like i said, bring a projector for 500-700 bucks and have a 100" screen.  i play my xbox on it when im bored and the wife doesnt wanna do anything

That does sound like the safe option to be honest. I'll probably settle for that.

Can someone confirm that most housing in Jeddah has dual voltage system? 110V and 220V. And how does that work anyway? I mean how do they distinguish the 110V plugs from the 220V plugs inside the apartment?

I will be bringing normal home appliances with me.

yes it does. sometimes plug type, sometime labels

sometimes nothing
had a friend kill an xbox due to a 220 not being labeled, and being a normal two prong plug.

here in my villa in riyadh, 220 are large 3 prong, 120 are normal.