How to ship belongings from US to Philippines?

I am contemplating retirement in the Phils. I am married to a filipina. Does anyone know how best (cheapest) to send personal belongings to the Phils?

This depends on what and how much your shipping and where you live in the US.
If it is boxes, use balikbayan shippers. Their cost is by size, not weight.
They ship via ships, not air. It takes longer but much cheaper. If you have a household to ship, there are shippers that will deliver a 20 or 40 foot container for you to fill.
How ever you ship, pack well and have the boxes tightly full. Boxes can get crushed somewhat. If possible, look for double corrigated type boxes.
For a few boxes, visit Asian markets, some have balikbayan services.
Search the net for balikbayan and you will find many sites.

A good reliable shipper for sending goods from the U.S.is LBC, which is based here in the Philippines. Their rates are cheaper than Fed-EX or United Parcel. I used them when DW and I moved to the Phils. We sent over 50 boxes and not one was lost or damaged.  For more information on my experience in relocation which in turn may be of some assistance, click http://www.expatfocus.com/moving-to-the … -my-story/

Got a question about shipping items to the PI..  I am in the process of marrying a filipina and moving to the PI.  Once this is complete I would like to bring some of my personal belongings including things like a flat screen TV, clothes, etc., to the PI.  What's the situation on duty on personal belongs?  Do I have to pay customs duty if I send over i my belongings?   Thanks!

When I shipped my goods to the Philippines from the U.S.in 2005, there was a $75.00 (USD)surcharge/customs duty for electronics items. This amount may have changed since then. As per my previous post, I suggest that you check with LBC. Your handle shows "Los Angeles". and there are numerous LBC offices in Southern California to choose from.

You may be able to get duty info from the Philippine Consulate in Los Angeles as well.

from US to philippines 40 footer van we collect 200k pesos all in. feel free to contact me if u want to bring ur personal belongings to philippines.  thanks. jemil

AlmostExpat wrote:

Got a question about shipping items to the PI..  I am in the process of marrying a filipina and moving to the PI.  Once this is complete I would like to bring some of my personal belongings including things like a flat screen TV, clothes, etc., to the PI.  What's the situation on duty on personal belongs?  Do I have to pay customs duty if I send over i my belongings?   Thanks!

yes u hav to pay now duties in philippines, 40footer 85k. dont hesitate to contact me if u need my services.09274194803 jemil. tks

Hi,  Johnnyair...

I am now a resident and married to Filipina.  What is the cost to ship and what are the other fees?

Thanks,

C

Hi AlmostExpat,

You can ask a free quote with our partner in Luggage shipping to Philippines. https://www.expat.com/en/luggage/asia/philippines/

Good luck,

--------------------------------------------
> johnnyair_corp, please note that free advertisement is not allowed on the site. Thank you for your comprehension.

Christine

AlmostExpat wrote:

Note that electronics in pi runs 230 and 50 hz. Flat screens draw a lot of power so need a big step down converter to 110.  I believe you can bring in one tv and one pc without paying customs.

Good luck

Don

jemil2k wrote:

from US to philippines 40 footer van we collect 200k pesos all in. feel free to contact me if u want to bring ur personal belongings to philippines.  thanks. jemil

I am planning to retire to Bohol this coming December 2012 and my personal effect maybe around 2-40ft contianers how much will be the all-in frt to Bohol, also I hadve a Honda Odyssey 2006 which I would like to ship also please give me quote and possible taxes if any.

jun galendez

jungalendez wrote:
jemil2k wrote:

I am planning to retire to Bohol this coming December 2012 and my personal effect maybe around 2-40ft contianers how much will be the all-in frt to Bohol, also I hadve a Honda Odyssey 2006 which I would like to ship also please give me quote and possible taxes if any.

jun galendez

Leave the Honda Odyssey in the US.  Customs are high plus not sure if they even sell or service the Odyssey in Phils. Cars sold in US may have different parts than ones sold in Phils.  Better to buy one locally.

I would like to ship several boxes of books to Boracay Island, Philippines.  What is the best way to do that?

Consider LBC.

Who or what is LBC?

Kelley

LBC is a shipper like United Parcel, but it focuses mainly on deliveries to and from the Philippines and is cheaper than UPS, DHl, etc. They also offer remittance services to the Phils. When my wife and I were relocating to the Philippines, we shipped several boxes of our household goods through LBC.

For further info, click here.

What's the best and safest way to send a container to Bohol, PHL? How much is duty on imports costs per household container with electronics? How long will it take to deliver from Florida, USA?

Check with Asian Tigers, Crown, Santa Fe, Goetz, CarePak, and Nippon Express.

These are all used by my companies international staff when they move to RP.  Get quotes from all, including insurance, as they range greatly.

[Moderated]

[Moderated: Please register yourself into Business directory]

My husband and I are retired and want to move to the Philippines.  I'm wondering how expensive it would be to ship a fair amount of furniture.  We do have a friend there that we could probably send the furniture to.  We would probably need the biggest container that is available.  What kind of cost are we looking at?  Also, how would we go about getting our belongings to a port as we are in Northern Minnesota out in the wilderness so to speak....very low population....thank you for any answers.

I forgot to say that we would be moving to the SBMA in Olongapo.

Just send an email to one of the shippers I listed above and they will provide a quote, door to door.

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

Thank you for your response.  I need to know what kind of expense I'm looking at to move a fair amount of furnishings.  I believe I would need at least a 40 ft container.  I would appreciate your help in letting me know whether it is something I can afford.  Thank you...Sandra

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

you need to check out customs  i think if your perm resident  you can obtain if your married  to Filipino, you get  a  one  time  break on shipping

Thank you for your response.  I need to know what kind of expense I'm looking at to move a fair amount of furnishings.  I believe I would need at least a 40 ft container.  I would appreciate your help in letting me know whether it is something I can afford.  Thank you...Sandra

here are the possible expenses:

container handling- 17,000
container deposit- 7,000
customs duties- 65,000(bench mark)
facilitation- 20,000
brokerage fee- 5,000
trucking- 5,000
arrastre charges- 2,500
wharfage due- 2,500
miscellaneous exp.- 1,000

total; 125,000

here are the following expenses of your shipment.

What's the best and safest way to send a container to Bohol, PHL? How much is duty on imports costs per household container with electronics? How long will it take to deliver from Florida, USA?

if you have a company accredited in customs it is better, you will booked your shipment in this following shipping lines: evergreen, wan hai, mariana, APL. customs duties of you shipments is around 65,000 not included the following expenses: arrastre charges, wharfage dues, trucking, facilitation, container handling, container deposit,miscellaneous expense.

Hello,we  shipped all our household goods from here in United States.everything furniture s,clothing,appliances,tools,the whole house stuffs.we used manila forwarder it cost us 14,000 dollars,that was door to door,it was 20 container van..anyway our household goods is in Cagayan de Oro now......;)

hi guys!. i used to ship my items that i bought from amazon with johnny air until my friend saw a site almost similar to it. try to visit galleon.ph.

We're moving to iloilo next week and really need help to ship our belongings there. which is cheaper LBC or Air21?. can you refer me other forwarders?. thank you in advanced. :lol:

I think, shipping is cheapest way to send your things, and even then you have to pay customes tax or whatever, but anyhow you'll pay extra also here,when you'll gonna get your stuff n' things be here for u.

DUTY–FREE SHIPMENT OF PERSONAL EFFECTS INTO THE PHILIPPINES
1. Under Section 105 (h) of the Tariff and Cu
stoms Code of the Phili
ppines (provided below),
personal and household effects
(EXCEPT MOTOR VEHICLES
, VESSEL, AIRCRAFTS,
MACHINERIES AND OTHER SIMILAR ARTICLES)
of persons coming to settle
permanently in the Philippines can apply for du
ty-free treatment. Such persons include:
a. Filipinos who are now residents of another country (including dual citizen)
b. Foreigners married to Filipinos (13A visa)
c. Former Filipinos (13G visa)
2. If you qualify on any of the abov
e categories, please be guided by the following:
a. Shipment of your personal and househol
d effects will be exempted from payment of
customs duties and taxes as provided for in
Section 105 (h) of the Tariff and Customs
Code of the Philippines. (S
ection 105 is quoted below)
b. However, the person who wishes to avail of such privilege should secure either before
departure from country of residence or within 60 days upon his arrival in the
Philippines, written approval from the Depa
rtment of Finance for tax and duty-free
importation of household goods.
3. A letter of Request for tax and
duty exemption should be addressed to:
The Secretary of Finance
Attn: Mr. Gerry Montes
Mabuhay Lane Office
Podium, Executive Tower Building,
BSP Complex, Manila 1004
Philippines
Phone: 632.526.8470
Email:
[email protected]
www.dof.gov.ph
4. The following documents should accompany the Letter of Request for tax and duty free
importation:
Photocopies of:
a. Passport (if Filipino citizen), or for dual ci
tizenship, foreign passport, Oath of Allegiance
as Filipino Citizen and Order Granting Filipino Citizenship
13A visa (if foreig
ner is married to a Filipino citizen) or
13G visa (if former Filipino)
b. For Filipino citizens, copy of marriage ce
rtificate as proof of residency in the foreign
country
c. For 13A and 13G visa holders: copies of
Alien Certificate of Registration (ACR) and
Immigration Certificate of Residence (ICR)
d. Inventory List
e. Bill of Lading
f. Affidavit of Ownership (duly authentica
ted by the Philippine Emba
ssy of Consulate with
jurisdiction over your state of residence. (Note: it is suggested that whenever possible,
applicants should come to the Consulate or Embassy to sign their affidavit personally
in front of the Consular officer. In this case, authentication can follow right away. If
the affidavit is sent by mail, it should fi
rst be notarized by a qualified notary, then
authenticated by the State Secretary of the
applicant's State of residence. Only after
the State Secretary's authentication should it be sent to the Philippine Embassy or
Consulate for final authentication).
5. Applicants for tax and duty-free importatio
n should be ready with the original copies of
documents mentioned in paragraph 4 above
for presentation to the Department of
Finance or Bureau of Customs when claiming your goods or as otherwise required.
Section 105 (h) of the Tariff and Customs Code of the Philippines
Professional instruments and implements, tools
of trade, occupation or employment, wearing
apparel, domestic animals, and personal and ho
usehold effects belonging to persons coming to
settle in the Philippines or Filipinos and/or their
families and descendants who are now residents or
citizens of other countries, such parties hereinafte
r referred to as Overseas Filipinos, in quantities
and of the class suitable to the profession, rank or
position of the persons importing them, for their
own use and not for barter or sale, accompanying
such persons, or arriving within a reasonable
time, in the discretion of the Collector of Customs,
before or after the arrival of their owners, which
shall not be later than February 28, 1979 upon th
e production of evidence satisfactory to the
Collector of Customs that such persons are actually
coming to settle in the Philippines, that change
of residence was bona fide and that the privilege
of free entry was never granted to them before or
that such person qualifies under the provisions
of Letters of Instructions 105, 163 and 210, and
that the articles are brought from their former place of abode, shall be exempt from the payment
of customs duties and taxes: Provided, That ve
hicles, vessels, aircrafts, machineries and other
similar articles for use in manufacture, shall not be classified hereunder. (  I don't know  how  current this  is  so you need to check it  out)

Outstanding reply!!!

one important  thing use  a  shipper from your  country, that  way if  there  is  any thing  in your shipment  they can inform you then and  there , any thing  sent  not  legal can be  confiscated and  you still pay the  freight ,Many Pacaquao is being   sued right  now  because  items  shipped  to the  Philippines  were not  legal they confiscated both containers, and  he  still owes $32,000 for  the  freight, and  it  was  a  non profit so use  local shippers

i want to bring my personal belonging to the philippines. what shipping company is the best rate for shippment...thank u. mr.bvalderas

Looking to share a container from Chicago area to Mindanao Philippines
Please contact me at [email protected]

@ Chris Kelley: Please feel free to post an advert in the section container sharing in the Philippines :)

Forex Cargo, in your area. Used them for years. Never lost anything, never received any item broken and non of my boxes were ever opened before reaching it's designation. They are door to door. They are very professional and even takes a photo of the person receiving your package (even if it is you) and sends that photo to the person that sent the package (originally sent from address).

Some really excellent advice here. One thought, however. You need to take a really hard, long look at what you are bringing and WHY! For most, arriving to the PI is only the first move, you will move one or more times again as you settle in, find that spot that is meant for you. Near big city? Out in provinces? Apt. vs. House, etc. do you want to keep hauling all this? Maybe store and ship later.

In the US we tend to collect "things." In the PI, less so. More things equals more hassle. More to look after, more to steal, rust, mold, or store. You may (we did) find you I'll do more with less. For example, the advice on vehicle. In provinces, you may want. In any town, a Kano driving is trouble. You are a target for every one looking for something. You will get stopped for not using you turn signal (turn signal in Manila?) but, we may forget it for P500. Get into a accident, someone hurt? speed to closest cop. Every piece of electronics I had burned out with voltage change and constant brown outs and spikes. If bought in Philippines, more better.
Good luck on new adventure in your life. You may find you live it, I did.