Cost of rent and living for family of 4

Hi I am considering a move to Jakarta soon, with my husband and 2 kids. My husband would not be working and would be looking after our youngest. My other child would be in school that is paid for by my employer. My wage would be around $47,000 USD annually and we would be given a housing allowance of $1000 USD per month.
Can anyone tell me what sort of life style would we be living on this money? Can we on one wage live in a nice area for kids, and not too far from my employment in Kemang. And most importantly would there be enough for savings?
Thanks for your advice

$47,000 turns into 426,290,000 PA or Rp35 million per month.
Minimum wage in Jakarta is not much over one million per month.

Consider minimum wage in the US, multiply by 30 and take a guess at your lifestyle. More so considering housing is free.

Housing. I live in a brand new, 3+1 (+1 being the maid's quarters) bed house in a security patrolled estate. That costs me US$ 2,756.34 per year.
No guesses at to what you can get with $1,000 per month.

Most important.
Get a house near to your work. Jakarta's traffic is a killer.
You really don't want to be in jams for two or three hours per day.

Any questions?

Hi thanks for your advice.... do you really pay only 2,000 for rent per year???? Every real estate site I have looked at so far looks as though you need to be paying that monthly to get anything in Kemang with 3 bedrooms.... or am i interpreting things incorrectly, or looking in the wrong places?

looking in the wrong places.

Consider this; a local won't be paying in US$ and can't afford the foreigner rate.
Anything priced in US$ is a con job aimed at expats.
Why should you pay it?

I completely agree ... then where should I be looking - or do you need to be there to find that sort of housing?

Being here helps but "Tokobagus" is really handy.
Use Google Chrome browser and it'll translate for you.

http://properti.tokobagus.com/

Caveat emptor - Indonesia has no advertising law that anyone much cares about.
Ads may be total fibs.

Dijual = For sale
Di sewa = For rent

Hi,
I am planing to move to jakarta, my salary will be around 300m a year including tax, no housing allowance.
I am bachelor may get married soon, can anybody tell me whether moving to Jakarta with this income would be a good idea or not?

It will be fine so long as your new bride also gets a job. Nothing like a new wife to make your cost of living hit the roof!

thanks for quick reply Ubudian :)
I also want to know that will my salary be enough to lead a good life in Jakarta in case I am the only earning member?