Cycling

HI my name is Gil from NYC NY nationally ranked cyclist in my age group 65+. Looking to apply for the Pensionado program to live in Panama during the off season in my training. Have not found any cycling activity in Panama i understand there is a velodrome but has been abandoned for many yrs. now. Would like to hear from any active cyclist in Panama.

There are people who come to Panama from all over Latin America to train in Panama for bike racing.  Just not in the city as far as I know. 

We have seen them on the roads around Vulcan and Gualaca and they train for the Tour de Chiriqui.  There is supposed to be an annual bike race held every year but the web link keeps dying.

There is the Tour de Panama however; http://www.tourdepanama.com/

We think they are still holding it because as recently as 6 months ago we knew someone who was training for it.  I'm just not sure how you find out.  There are bike shops in David so perhaps they might know.  In fact that might be who you need to search for is bike shops in Panama.  They might be able to give you the information you are seeking. 

I've seen people bike from Bocas to Boquete. Have no idea how long that would take but in a car it takes 4 hours.

HTH.