Internet choice in Tamarin - My T /ADSL, Emtel other

Hello,

I am having difficulty in "finding" the right package for internet home use for TV, PC and if possible, the odd movies/TV streaming (though I know streaming is not a popular choice in Mauritius).  I have enquired with Orange and they recommended the My T package (with no streaming).  When the technican checked my phone line, he said that it was not able to support My T but only ADSL.

When I looked into getting ADSL with modem from Orange, the range of internet use was not great at all, it was basically limited to 20-30 metres (meaning only 1 room radius) with no wi-fi.  If I wanted a larger internet range with wi-fi I had to buy a Netgear ADSL modem, cheapest one (without streaming) costs approx Rs3700 and I will have to arrange for the modem to be configured to Orange ADSL spec.

Is it normal that houses in Tamarin, especially near the Ruisseau Creole centre cannot support My T as the phone lines tend to have a weak connection? 

The search for instaling internet at home is getting long winded with varies options :(. It would be great if someone can perhaps share their experience about finding the best home internet package in Tamarin.

Many thanks

We use Emtel WiMAX at the office which is perfect but expensive ;)

At home, I have ADSL 4 Mbps from Orange (I didn't use the TV so I switched from My.T) and I ditched the modem they provide for one of my choice. I am a heavy downloader (mostly direct download) and the connection is really reliable and always at top speed.

Compared to Emtel WiMAX, the "ping" is less stable though, so voice applications are less stable.

Hi
I am not very up to date on the internet ;(
but
we have here in Tamarin the following and have no problems:

TV ; DSTV - lots of packages, we have a big package as my husband ikes the English football. Lady in London Way can explain all the packages etc

Internet and phone : Mauritius Telecom = ADSL home and telephone
I can pick up the internet on my laptop anywhere in our house and this package is OK for us.
My husband informs me that we have WI-FI

Very basic explanation I know but it works for us :)

Thanks Julien and Rosie, your replies have been a great help knowing what to decide :).

Julien, did you have to get your own modem configured to Orange ADSL? Or did the IT store do it for you? I am leaning towards the ADSL for Internet then add ons for the TV. Just wondering where to get the modem configured. The assistant from Cascavelle Orange said I had to take it to their technical store in Rose Hill?

Many thanks Rosie :),I did speak to the lady at London Way and will most probably go with DSTV once we have the Internet sorted, my husband is also a big sports fan and feels lost without any "knowledge" of what's going on.  As long as I can pick up wi-fi I will be happy at the moment I am finding all the " hot-spots in Tamarin.

Thanks again for your replies :).

I work in IT so I configured my router myself but nowadays it's really straight-forward for most brands. The instructions are in the box.

Just be sure to buy an ADSL router (which you can connect directly to the phone socket) and not a simple router (which needs a modem between the phone socket and itself), the shop might even configure it for you (just bring along your ADSL login/password). Worst case, I can come over and set it up for you.

Many thank Julien. You have been a great help :).

I will let you know how I get on once I have purchased the ADSL modem/router. At least now I know what to look out forvwith a clearer IT mind.

Hi all,

I'm thinking of living in Ebene area. And I have several questions regarding this MyT.

When I upgrade mine to 4mbps whats the downloading speed would like in kBps? 400ish perhaps?

I heard the Fair Usage Policy has been abandoned? Is it true you can download as much as u like?

I got a lynksis E2500 for the router. Do you think that would be compatible for making wifi out of MyT modem? Cause I dont think I would rely on Orange wifi router.

Cheers,

czars88, if you don't use TV from My.T, you can replace the Livebox by a regular ADSL router. Putting a router behind another router is not something I recommend. If the Linksys E2500 has no modem built-in, you can put an Ethernet ADSL modem in front of it (just modem, not router).

Also, you can consider switching to ADSL if you do this since there's no point paying the extra for TV you won't use. Moreover, FUP may come back to My.T from what I heard, but is not planned for ADSL.

About speed, you'll get 400 KBps on both if you switch to 4 Mbps and if your line supports it.

I live close to La Saline and have EMTEL at home - under very good coverage and higher speed in the Island -

do you have different option

Home & Office Broadband - Up to 21.6 Mbps - Up to 10 GB -32 - Wi Fi router ( 32 connection in same time)  - I have this solution at home -
HSDPA + Dongle
LTE (4G)  Dongle or Router - for business is fantastic -

You will find it at Show Room /  Cascabelle Mall

All the best