Just AFew Questions About Life In VT

Hi
We are new to the forum as from last week so hello ! We have just got back from a trip to VT with a view to purchase a property in one of the surrounding villages ( which i must say has beautiful views) we did really like 3 properties, so when the sale of the UK house goes through we are coming out to purchase, so if somebody doesnt mind i just have a few question.
1. What is the medical side of things like ?( as you never know when you may need it) would you recommend any private health companied' if so which ones?
2. Would you suggest we keep a UK bank or transfer over straight away to a Bulgarian bank ? ( i think the Bulgarian banks give a fair amount of interest or so i have been told)
3.What are the internet connections like ?
4.We have heard a little bit about snakes & scorpions, just wanted to know if they are a major problem especiaaly as we may well end up in the countryside?
Many thanks to anybody who may be able to help.

Thanks again Nigel.

Hi Nigel,

I can't answer all your questions but here's what I've learnt...

1)It really depends who you speak to with regards to how good it is here medically.  Many people will say that they've had a bad experience in the hospitals but all the people I know have had, on the whole, good treatment – it just might be very different to back home!  I think there are 2 hospitals and one polyclinic in VT but there might be a closer hospital town to your village.  I know only one person who pays privately, it's quite cheap but they haven't had to cash in on it yet.  Your E11 will cover most incidents.

3)Internet connections are mostly pretty good, even in the villages.  Expect to pay 20-25lv a month, depending on the speed. It does lose connection every now and again but not so it's a problem.

4)Snakes and scorpions do exist and although they might bite if trapped, they are not poisonous here.  I was bitten last year but it just swelled up and then went down a few days later and just used anti histamines.

Hope this helps a little.  Good luck with your purchase – it's a great area to live in!

Hi Dibach
Thank you so much for the information, it is really appreciated, as there are allways several questions, when you are going to move abroad, i will probably have another batch of questions at some point, so thanks again.

Nigel.

Hi Nigel,

i will answer your 4th question regarding snakes and scorpions.

Snakes cannot hear instead they sense throug their body.
There is in the market a kind of solar powered snake repeller that you stick in the ground and vibrates every 60 sec. and that sound good. you have to look for one with a motor - vibrator in it.
They claim that one pc can cover an area of 650sqm.
Snakes can smell milk and that atracks them.In dry seasons they can visit you for water. in this case you suply them with water a few places away from your garden.

For scorpion a good advice is to keep some chikens in the garden if you can.They eat the scorpions.Some cats can help too (if they learn to hunt and are not very well fed.lol)

Pest controllers cannot do much about scorpions themselfs but they can get rid of their food wich is all kind of insects, ants cockroaches etc. If the scorpions dont find food they will not stay.

good luck,

vangelis

Many thanks for that Vangelis, it is much appreciated.

Hi Nigel,

Just to say that we've been in BG for 7 years as near as and live not far from VT. In answer to:-
Q1. We transferred to the BG health system and if you are retired it's free, if not I think it's about 6Lv pmpp. Always had good service from the Doc's but some hospitals are a bit 'basic' to say the least. Generally the staff are really friendly and helpful or so we've found.
Q2. Keep an eye on the exchange rate if you transfer money and probably less hassle to have a BG bank.
Q3.Depending on your internet provider should be OK but can be a bit off and on some days.
Q4. Been out in the sticks more than in town and only seen a few snakes which don't usually hang around for a chat. Never seen a scorpion but have a praying mantis that usually comes in the summer to sit on my finger and have a good gossip.
Hope it helps.
All the best.
Ian

Hi Ian
Many thanks for the answers. i have 2 more for you or for anybody else who might like to help ( you know how it is when you are going to another country questions, questions, & more questions)

1. Would you say that there is any benefit from having a private medical insurance ?
2. Is there any way of getting british tv ?

Many thanks.

p.s what is the name of your village Ian ? & i take it that you certainly made the right move by going to Bulgaria ?

Nigel.

Hi Nigel,

Personally I think that private medical would only benefit the company taking your money. If you are generally healthy and signed on to the BG health system you could if you wanted to put the cost of private care into a savings account and just pay cash if you ever needed to for medical. Much less hassle than trying to get back money for something the company suddenly decides isn't covered by your policy.

We use Bulsat satellite TV and there's enough english on there for our needs but we don't watch football or much other sport.

Our coming to BG was not exactly a planned move but there are worse places to be by a long way.

Ian

Thanks for that Ian, i have to ask where was your planned destination ? we also think that it has become a real rat race in the UK so i think escaping that has to be beneficial.
Thanks again.

Nigel.

There are venomous snakes in Bulgaria, but like any other animal if you leave them alone they are fine.

British TV can be watched via the internet, although both Bulsat and Vivacom do have some channels broadcast in English still.

Your E111 card is only valid if you are visiting Bulgaria so medical insurance is needed or you can pay into the Bulgarian national health service.

Internet speeds depend on where you are going to live, not all of the villages have broadband yet.