Do and don't do in Indonesia

always pay taxi and ojek in small bills
always bargain with the ojek before you ride
be polite
dress conservative
smile a lot :D
Dont get food in the random food stand (unless u have strong tummy)

Have fun!

digidi wrote:

For taxis, learn the basics: left = kiri, right = kanan, go = tourouse, straight lourouse, stop = hop. thanks = makasih.

Do njoy, jakarta is awesome

Wow Digidi, you just made new vocabulary for Indonesian words, which is i think it was cool lol
tourouse (in Indonesian vocab it was "terus")
lourouse (it was "lurus")

i like how you write these two words in your version :)
By the way, are you from French?

Anyway, i agree with some of comments here. Don't do : taking a buss to get around if you are an expat. It is not safe because you will be the target of thieves once you enter the bus. Don't travel alone at night unless you have known your route very well indeed.

Do : Eat Indonesian traditional sweets if you like sweet, because there were huge option for this as well as food since Indonesian has many province with tasty unique taste. But, buy only from good cake shop or made homemade by your trust local friends. Avoid buying from the street vendor because they tend to use chemical colorings.
Learn Bahasa. Travel to another part of Indonesia that has awesome view such as Raja Ampat (yes, i know it was expensive but i think it will worth the money), Lombok, Menado etc. Do get update about things happens daily from local newspaper or TV or even from local friends so you could avoid bad things such as demonstrations, gangs war, flood by avoiding the area.

I use buses a lot. Just keep things close and never flash cash.

PakGondrong wrote:

No matter how right you're never show your angry face to the officers. This is not for Jakarta for all south east asia.

That is probably one of the best bits of advice you'll ever get from anyone.

mas fred wrote:

I use buses a lot. Just keep things close and never flash cash.

Hi Mas Fred, how long you have been staying in Jakarta?

I notice you have blend so well with our culture :) because you have used buses a lot in your daily day :) Me- my self as Indonesian, sometimes still worry by those "preman" that force the peoples on the bus to give them money by slicing their hands with "silet" or razor.

They will look angry if we refuse to give them money. Because of that, i am more comfort using TransJakarta (yes, i know it didnt 100% safe either but as long as i didn't meet that "preman" i'm in :D) and Taxi. I only take bus while im in certain areas like Bintaro, Pondok Pinang and Pondok Indah which is i think more safe-minus that "preman" presence lol

So i guess for expats, if you have been staying in long period here and already know you're own route and areas as well as the culture, guess its okay for you to take buses ;)
But, still i don't recommend it for new comers expats:)

Buses, micro buses and trains cam be a problem if you aren't careful.
You really have to keep your things well out of range of thieves but I've never had anyone actually try to mug me in Jakarta.
That can't be said of Semarang where a couple of lads fancied my wallet.
I 'suggested' they didn't bother with a simple "Try it if you like hospital food" sort of expression.
As you rightly say, a new expat is better not to use these forms of transport until they get used to the place.
As for the preman (Gangsters). No worries (so far) as I'm twice the size of most of them and not really into showing fear as the chaps in Semarang found out.
I suspect most wouldn't bother attacking expats as it would be guaranteed trouble from the police and they don't need that.
I may be proven wrong at a later date.
If it happens and I survive, I'll post pictures of them with their knives stuck up their arses.

:D

- Do enjoy the local cuisine!
- Do smile and say hello to the locals :-)
- Do make sure you take a picture of your taxi driver's ID or just write down his taxi no
- Do use GPS when you travel with cab
- Do only take taxis from big companies such as Blue Bird, Taxiku,Express,Gamya,Transcab, Cipaganti.
- Dont go to places like Stadium or Melawai/ Blok M for night life, you'd be, most likely, going home without your purse/wallet or even drugged.
- Dont walk around alone at night, especially if you are a female

Everything else has been said by the others, so I hope you enjoy Jakarta! :-)

In Bali, avoid touching a Balinese on or near the top of their heads.  This is the most holy part of the body and the act is offensive. 

Many westerners are prone to pat a kid on the top of their heads as a sign of affection.  Don't do that in Bali please.

"Dont walk around alone at night, especially if you are a female."

That depends on where in Indonesia you are.  For example, in Bali, with the possible exception of Kuta, it is safe to walk alone at night, male or female.

Ayu, Mas Fred

Cheers on the advice about travelling on public transport. How tall are you Mas? Was wondering if I can fit that persona "he is not worth the trouble..."

You mentioned a list of areas. Can you let me know what you know about the Kuningan areas? Good, Bad, Average?

Cazual wrote:

Ayu, Mas Fred

Cheers on the advice about travelling on public transport. How tall are you Mas? Was wondering if I can fit that persona "he is not worth the trouble..."

You mentioned a list of areas. Can you let me know what you know about the Kuningan areas? Good, Bad, Average?

Not especially tall but more so than most Indonesians.
I used to do up to 300 push ups per day, 5 days a week, so I may be wide of chest and a bit stronger than most Indonesians.
That and I can punch a solid concrete wall and make it rattle without hurting myself.
Tends to put people off wanting to experience my fists on their nose end.

As for that area, I've hardly been there so I can't really comment.

Advice.
If you drive, assume all microbus drivers are mindless morons who will do something stupid.

Most are and will.

I've red this thread and wonder why are all the indonesia's advisor are so "safe".

Jakarta, is Jakarta, Experience it as it is.
If you found international mall with LV, Hermes, boutique to be a pleasant place to be. don't even bother to come here.
Traffic is everywhere.

for you poor lads gals
If you are brave enough, just rent a motorbike or buy one. wear a full face mask. no skin exposed. and you'll dwell well with the rest of us..

and besides.. its the cheapest and fastest way to get around jakarta

for you high flyer,. just stay in the hotel for safety, grab a silver bird cab with the top most luxury you can get, spend your money in kemang's clubs,. but that's not indonesia.

Experience the people, experience the scarce-city, experience the everlasting torture of Jakarta

jonidib wrote:

I've red this thread and wonder why are all the indonesia's advisor are so "safe".

Jakarta, is Jakarta, Experience it as it is.
If you found international mall with LV, Hermes, boutique to be a pleasant place to be. don't even bother to come here.
Traffic is everywhere.

for you poor lads gals
If you are brave enough, just rent a motorbike or buy one. wear a full face mask. no skin exposed. and you'll dwell well with the rest of us..

and besides.. its the cheapest and fastest way to get around jakarta

for you high flyer,. just stay in the hotel for safety, grab a silver bird cab with the top most luxury you can get, spend your money in kemang's clubs,. but that's not indonesia.

Experience the people, experience the scarce-city, experience the everlasting torture of Jakarta

lol, love your suggestions...
it is as u said, traffic is horrible, and crazy if u ask me!!