Buying a property?

Hi
I've been looking at buying a villa in Bali, mainly as an investment, and have just got back from a research trip which has been a little disillusioning.
There's a huge amount of building activity going on, and admittedly it was fairly quiet while I was there, but having spoken to a couple of independent people (not with a property to sell) I'm told there's a huge surplus of villas having difficulties in getting rented and not to expect to break even.
I'd really like to hear any thoughts and opinions from anyone that can help me before I make a decision.
Many thanks.

Hi Subi and welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that you'll soon be enlightened.;)

Harmonie.

This is an easy one.
It's not legal for an Australian to own land in Indonesia.
Loads of people will offer you a way round the law but there are scammers everywhere.

Hi Subi

Your research is quite correct, Bali is currently in an oversupply situation of not only Villas but Hotels also. This is forcing down the price of accommodation for tourists.Good for them.

However,many people choose to lease the land on which they build there
Tropical homes.This is much cheaper and legal Its now also legal to own a Condo apartment which are popping up all over Bali, but naturally you still do not own the land.

The growth of Bali over the last decade has been massive and I feel the market will sort itself out given time

Howard

Hi,

We have 2 villa in seminyak and always rented by australian. So, dont worry if u want to invest and rent your villa with reasonable price. My husband from perth, if you want to sharing or ask some information, just send me email.

Renny

In Bali have alot of nice Villa and Mansion. Hope you get the best ones

Hi, desillusions ? Could you tell more ? DiderBali

Hi Subi,

True the market is a little bit flooded at the moment but mainly after a couple of quiet seasons. Certain areas though are booked out all the time. You need to find your special area and what marketing point of difference. I have a PMA and a villa for sale in a very up and coming area on the west coast which is drastically under catered for by villas at the moment. I urgently need funds so need to cash out so it is priced well under value. The website is specialized and has online booking. We have German guests right now and it's off season. Please email me if you are interested. [email protected]

I'm in Perth also if you want to meet or chat about it on the phone :)

Hi anyone,
Can you please enlighten me if it's possible for foreigner to buy apartments in Jakarta. How could someone find out if a project is for foreign investment or not? Is there a price difference in apartments set a side for foreign investment?
Thaanks

This entire issue of foreigners building villas on Bali for investment purposes is becoming a rather thorny issue on Bali these days.  I know this first hand because my Balinese brother in law is a member of the Bali Provincial legislature, (DPR Bali) and a well known architect.

Depending on the particular regency of Bali, this issue runs from almost red hot to luke warm. 

There are a whole lot of issues at play here (Provincial, Regency and Banjar) and the topic is way too complicated to discuss by simple postings on this forum.

A foreigner wanting to build a property to live here is one thing…but to develop the land with a villa for investment is quite another issue.